What Recorded Snare Sound Do You Like?

yammyfan

Jeremy Taggart was a HUGE influence on me when I started playing. Heck, I still rock the thick black plastic rimmed glasses because of him. I used to play along all the time to the Clumsy CD back when I was first learning. I love how he just throws his arms into the notes.
I had no idea that OLP enjoyed any kind of exposure in the USA. Cool!

When the Tragically Hip band failed to gain any traction south of the border I used to think to myself "what the heck does it take?"

Anyway, nice to see OLP getting some recognition. I used to (and still do) play along to the album Naveed. For the record, the snare sounds MUCH better on the CD than it does in the video above. The video appears to be mixed differently.

As for snare sounds, I like Copeland's and a bunch of others. I particularly like Neil Peart's snare sound on New World Man.

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I had no idea that OLP enjoyed any kind of exposure in the USA. Cool!
To be totally fair, my folks got a satellite dish in the early-to-mid 1990's. We didn't get MTV, but we did get MuchMusic. I devoured that show every chance I got. It introduced me to quite a few bands including OLP, Sloan, I Mother Earth, Big Wreck, and Great Big Sea. I loved these bands during this time period.

Al Strange

I thought maybe that was an attempt to recreate the St Anger snare.
I don’t want to try and rationalise this, but he seems to have come down with a nasty dose of “st angry”, an affliction where the drummer attributes intolerable snare buzz to the rumble of the bass playing element. The sufferer develops a severe lightbulb anxiety and a chronic dislike for four stringed electric twangers. In the final stages the stricken tubthumper attempts to recreate the snare buzz that in his mind is being created by the bass playing element. Ironically the catalyst and source of the snare buzz is usually a 10” tom tuned to an inappropriate frequency by the drummer himself.😔

Griffin

I don’t want to try and rationalise this, but he seems to have come down with a nasty dose of “st angry”, an affliction where the drummer attributes intolerable snare buzz to the rumble of the bass playing element. The sufferer develops a severe lightbulb anxiety and a chronic dislike for four stringed electric twangers. In the final stages the stricken tubthumper attempts to recreate the snare buzz that in his mind is being created by the bass playing element. Ironically the catalyst and source of the snare buzz is usually a 10” tom tuned to an inappropriate frequency by the drummer himself.😔
Truly a terrible affliction (insert currently non existing somber emoji— side note I really need to explain to the Unicode guys that their current range of emojis is really hampering my style of sarcasm)