What piece of gear didn't live up to expectation.

timmdrum

Silver Member
The 6x13 Ahead black on brass snaredrum with S hoops that Dawson just raved about in Modern Drummers product close up. I ordered it and tried everything in my power to get it to be the drum in his review but to no avail. Even the guys in the band! Said whatever you paid for that it was to much. 😥.
I believe you, but my 6x14 is pure sweetness. Members of multiple bands who ordinarily don't notice what snare I'm playing on a given gig have complimented it. 🤷‍♂️:)

Ronzo

What didn't you like about?
Get the same amount of “sizzle” control from my regular clutch. Turning the sizzle dial did not do much imo. It is also bulky and prevented me from mounting a jingle ring on my short hi hat rod. I could have used the long rod but I have Octobans right above my hi hat. For double bass playing I have a set of auxiliary hats on a closed hi hat holder by my ride that works well and allows me to play open.

You can buy a Gibraltar drop clutch for a fraction of the price. To be fair, the Tama is a nice piece of equipment but did not work for me based on my setup.

Last edited:

SYMBOLIC DEATH

Get the same amount of “sizzle” control from my regular clutch. Turning the sizzle dial did not do much imo. It is also bulky and prevented me from mounting a jingle ring on my short hi hat rod. I could have used the long rod but I have Octobans right above my hi hat. For double bass playing I have a set of auxiliary hats on a closed hi hat holder by my ride that works well and allows me to play open.

You can buy a Gibraltar drop clutch for a fraction of the price. To be fair, the Tama is a nice piece of equipment but did not work for me based on my setup.

I love mine because I can set it so the hats open smaller than a regular drop lock clutch without it popping open like drop locks do.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
thought of another one today:;

Zildjian A Custom cymbals....I just don't like the way any of them sound...and I am a Zildjian fanboi thru and thru!!!

they are all too washy for me

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I've noticed that most of the gear people have been disappointed with in this thread has been mid to high end stuff, so the moral of the story is....buy cheap! 😉

and/or shop smart first....

Ronzo

I've noticed that most of the gear people have been disappointed with in this thread has been mid to high end stuff, so the moral of the story is....buy cheap! 😉
I do not disagree entirely …although expectations are higher with mid to high end gear. Not so much with buying cheap but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.
My wife says I have expensive taste and when I look at her…she is absolutely correct!;) I have no issues paying for the best.(y)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I do not disagree entirely …although expectations are higher with mid to high end gear. Not so much with buying cheap but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.
My wife says I have expensive taste and when I look at her…she is absolutely correct!;) I have no issues paying for the best.(y)

my wife sometimes "grutns impatiently" at me when I spend a bit more for an item, but I feel like I would rather pay a bit more ONCE for something, - and have it last forever - rather than pay for something cheaper 10 or 11 times due to failure/breakage

gish

A Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga kit I owned for about a year and a half. Never have I worked so hard trying multiple head combinations and tuning techniques to be rewarded with such mediocre sound. Sold and bought my DW Design kit, which sounds leaps and bounds better to my ears.

A Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga kit I owned for about a year and a half. Never have I worked so hard trying multiple head combinations and tuning techniques to be rewarded with such mediocre sound. Sold and bought my DW Design kit, which sounds leaps and bounds better to my ears.
I had a Tama B/B 14x5.5 snare and it was probably the loudest thing on earth, but it had zero tuning range. Just sounded dreadful and dead even at medium tension and it only liked 'lively' rooms too. I only really bought it because it looked pretty and sounded good in a wooden floored shop, it was a total honker.

Quai34

Well, it work we'll for me, I have a Sabian Complex splas 7" above it and just under the Left hand side ride, a 21" HHX Groove ride. I have as well a remote hat, at 12h30 and an X-HAT at 2 O' Clock and both work well.

Quai34

thought of another one today:;

Zildjian A Custom cymbals....I just don't like the way any of them sound...and I am a Zildjian fanboi thru and thru!!!

they are all too washy for me
I have only one Zildjian, an A Custom 25th anniversary medium thin 23" ride and love it, it's my wash ride though, compared to my Sabian Raw Bell Dry Ride 21" that is my Ping ride.... I have put it aside for now as I have the Paiste Dark Crips Ride 22" now at 3 O' Clock.

Quai34

Amen on the black beauty. I wanted so bad to love mine so I could forever say ya...thats my secret. ANY brass drum I've ever owned (glutten for punishment) has been a major disappointment. And I will STILL walk over to them at Guitar Center and tap one as if the magic will somehow appear. Nope.
When I started to ask around, stores especially, who saw me coming from the keys, recording and pedals department I was usually heading to all the time to the drums department, didn't take me seriously so they were always saying, "buy a BB and that's it", even when I was telling them I Was not impressed. But I don't think it deserves the praise they have, for me at least, I really prefer my Sonor Benny Greb V2 brass snare, so, all that to say you are not the only one.

Quai34

So did you trade her in for a newer model?
My last gf was able to carry my 110lbs hardware bag surprisingly.
But she was a pretty big heifer, so it was a trade off. 🐮
In the same register as the girl friend, my mom when I told my Dad after one year of match studies to become and gunner that I wNted to go to a music school.... My mom who was a piano concertist and who had supported me for music my all life went shut up like dead and I felt treason.... For sure, she didn't live up to what I had expected from her.... And now she said she should have helped me fight my dad and letting me do a carreer in music..

RobertM

Platinum Member
I felt that way about the 15" Dark Energy hats. Love them on recordings, but not in person. Strange.
Yeah, I've never liked the Sound-edge Paiste hats or 15" hats in general; the "chick" sound in person is brittle and unpleasing. I wish Paiste would do some 13" Dark Energy Signature hats. I have old Stewart Copeland Signature 13" heavy hats and I love them.

For me, I guess it might be Zildjian New Beat hats. Those have been talked about for ages, across genres, but I have never been impressed with the sound. The only Zildjian hats I came close to liking were A Custom.

Reactions: iCe

RobertM

Platinum Member
When I started to ask around, stores especially, who saw me coming from the keys, recording and pedals department I was usually heading to all the time to the drums department, didn't take me seriously so they were always saying, "buy a BB and that's it", even when I was telling them I Was not impressed. But I don't think it deserves the praise they have, for me at least, I really prefer my Sonor Benny Greb V2 brass snare, so, all that to say you are not the only one.
I have heard a lot of praise for the Benny Greb Sonor snare, especially beech shell, as an incredibly versatile drum. I would like to get one or build an SQ2 heavy beech (Benny's is thin) 5.5x14 or 13 snare. The "heavy" beech shell appeals to me because a thicker shell is used for the Phonic snare re-issue, and I love that snare every time I hear it--just not $1K+ kind of love.

jaymandude

Yeah. Those updated versions of the Benny Greb snare are the only thing I’ve heard in the past couple years that sound really great to me. What ironic is I don’t wanna spend $1000 on a snare drum, even though those drums, both the wood and metal or head and shoulders to my ears above almost everything else that I hear on the show room floor. I would totally use them on a gig without question, I just don’t wanna spend the money. And I have the money in my drum buy and sell account, I just don’t wanna spend it.