What part of the cymbal is the crown?

Ok, so I am currently studying "if 6 was 9" by Hendrix. I am using the book "experience Hendrix", and in the chart for the song it says above a sixteenth note grouping on the ride cymbal "on crown." What does this mean?

Ok, so I am currently studying "if 6 was 9" by Hendrix. I am using the book "experience Hendrix", and in the chart for the song it says above a sixteenth note grouping on the ride cymbal "on crown." What does this mean?

I am unfamiliar with that term, but I suspect they mean the bell. Have you listened to the recording? Does it sound like Mitch is playing the bell there?

Just guessing but I suspect they are meaning the bell of the cymbal. I am sure someone here will have an answer that is more distinct.

Since there is no "crown" in a cymbal,( no matter what part of the world you're from) ,it must be the bell.

Don't take those books too literally as the're full of mistakes and often interpretation as well.. Learn to trust your own ears and figure things out for yourself.

Sometimes you can be your own best teacher.

Steve B

My drum teacher had told me that it was the edge of the cymbal, but i dont think there are any other names for that part besides the edge. Based on listening to it, it could be the bell.

I think the crown of a cymbal is the curve of it as it turns down. Various ride cymbals have varying degrees of crown. More crown makes for a stiffer and usually drier ride.

There is a technique of striking the crown with the shoulder of a stick. It can be rough on cymbals, but gives a distinctive sound. Similar in character but louder and lower in pitch than hitting the bell with the shoulder of the stick.

At least that's what my guess would be as to what they meant.

The only reference to cymbal crown that I can find is the quick release kind that go on the end of stands. Other than that I'm only aware of three areas of a cymbal, the bell, the bow and the edge.

Given that the very definition of the word "crown" refers to terms like top, or head, or uppermost, or pinnacle.....I think it's safe to assume it means the bell.

The only reference to cymbal crown that I can find is the quick release kind that go on the end of stands. Other than that I'm only aware of three areas of a cymbal, the bell, the bow and the edge.

Given that the very definition of the word "crown" refers to terms like top, or head, or uppermost, or pinnacle.....I think it's safe to assume it means the bell.

+1..Right on the money as usual Jules.The bell.is that hump thingy in the middle of the cymbal with the hole in it.

It's always been called a bell and never a crown,except by maybe someone who didn't know what the correct name was.

The bow is where the body of the cymbal begins to curve away from the bell.

The edge should be self explanatory.It's where the cymbal ends.

There is no crown on a cymbal.It's just a word some guy used,because he didn't know the proper term was "bell".

Don't get me started on drum terminology.:):)

Steve B

The only other area that could be considered the crown would be the highest part of the bow. We use the term "crown" in land surveying and it refers to an elevation shot at the highest point of the asphalt/concrete road, which is usually right at the centerline. In addition to camber, roads are also bowed for drainage purposed. So that would be the only other part of a cymbal that could be even remotely considered the "crown".

...or is this a marketer trying to get people to google cymbal crown in order to sell product?

Roads have crowns, it's the high part of a road. A cymbal bow has a high part too. I'd say it's the highest part of the bow, and not the bell at all.

Roads have crowns, it's the high part of a road. A cymbal bow has a high part too. I'd say it's the highest part of the bow, and not the bell at all.

Only I can't find a single cymbal maker in existance that makes any reference to the "crown"........so I'm going on record and saying it doesn't exist anyway and the chart writer hasn't got a clue.

Let's settle this once and for all. We've speculated long enough. I now demand facts! OP what section of If 6 was 9 are you referring to? We'll listen to it and get a definitive answer........at least until we start debating whether it's actually the bell, or the high part (the "crown" if you will) of the bow.

Back