what motivates you to keep playing???

ive been playing for 3 months now.. i love the drums and i am progressing quickly!
but what are some motivations that keep you playing drums? i want to play until i get very old but i want to know what give you the drive to keep playing. also check out my video its pretty bad to me me but tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocMYEh1pbRk

ive been playing for 3 months now.. i love the drums and i am progressing quickly!
but what are some motivations that keep you playing drums? i want to play until i get very old but i want to know what give you the drive to keep playing. also check out my video its pretty bad to me me but tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocMYEh1pbRk

Sorry man, I cant check your video right now unless I want to see a silent film. lol, but for a start, how about the motivation to become better?, It never runs out!
Ok , that was a little bit too obvious soooo, how about this?: trying to nail down your favorite songs, all fills and grooves/beats intact? Maybe make it into a career choice? Impress your fans/friends? Pass the time with the greatest hobby EVER? Be better than that other guy? Get out your frustration out in a healthy way? Having something to always look forwards to? Having FUN? Need more? I got more... : D

Mostly......When I do play live there will be occasions when someone in the audience is watching my every move and after come up and ask how I did this, or that and ask me to show them something and that makes it worth while for me. Plus usually when I record a cd Someone will be excited by a drum part, or a song touched them and that is always exciting.

The 2 most memoreable instances though, that will always be with me and motivate me are this:

#1. Back in 1988 I played a concert with the band I was in as a senior in high school, a 6 year old boy watched intently during the entire show and afterwards his folks brought him up to see me, and he told me he wanted to play too, so I gave him my sticks and a week later I got a thank you card from him that I still have today, 20 years later.

#2. My principal in high school had a 5 year old boy who used to watch us play, and I just found out 2 years ago that his band was signed to a record deal and are touring the country now. I emailed my old principal to congratulate him and pass on my regards and a month later I recieved an e-mail from his son, thanking me and saying I was the first drummer he ever saw, and the reason he started playing. ( I think I cried for a minute, lol).

So I guess, what motivates me is the thought that my music and/or playing, may inspire someone at some point again.

When I was young I was driven by the fact that I wanted to be on stage. I liked learning the techniques but it was mostly vanity that drove me. I stopped playing for 15 years when I got married. I began playing again three years ago at age 48. Now I enjoy the learning part more than I used to. I also enjoy the social aspects of working with different people. I also play for health reasons. It's a great workout and playing helps my arthritis. Playing keeps my middle aged brain sharp too. As you mature there will be different things that drive you. If you take a break from playing from time to time, it's OK.

I am 48 and started playing when I was 10. What the hell else am I gonna do?? : ^ )
It is a part of me. I will always play..at 60 I will still be playing RUN TO THE HILLS somewhere, somehow.

Because I will never stop loving the sound of Drums and Cymbals. I know that doesn't sound like an enlightened answer, but it sure is the truth !

I checked out your video. It wouldn't play the first time that I tried to view it. It brought fond memories of my beginnings playing in the garage. You play very well for three months. Keep on keepin on. One of the bands that I play with does fund raising for Connecticut veterans from time to time. The thanks that we get from them also motivates me. You can use your talent for many good things. We have also done some fund raising to help cancer patients. That too has been a rewarding experience for us.

Right now, I guess I'm driven because it's one of the few things that brings me pure joy. I love playing drums. I guess it's that, and the fact that it's what I want to do for a living, so I want to get really good at it.

thanks guys for the feedback!!

the thing that motivates me is when i go to concerts. when i see drummers soo into the music wants me want to play in front of 5,000 adoring fans ! hopefully that day will come true...

Because I still love the sound of drumming, and it's too much fun to give up. Beyond that, here is the rest of my inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDF1bXhr7xc

As far as your video, I have one thing to say-- you've been playing for three months and THAT's your kit?? As far as your playing, nice job, and I think it's great that you're filming yourself and asking for critiques. It shows a determination that I admire.

Constant progress and creative fulfillment...or perhaps that this is a calling and not just a "hobby".

Good job on the video, also. For 3 mo. you have a good sense of rhythm. Keep working with your metronome a little bit everyday and you'll not only even out your time but will flow between ideas better, while playing.

Does anything sound better than a set of drums? Me thinks not. I just like to play and play along to music. Pretty basic actually.

What motivates me to keep playing?

1. It's fun!
2. There is always another level of proficiency to aspire to.
3. Great exercise, mentally and physically.
4. Great Therapy.
5. Knowing i can do something that most people can't (non drummers).
6. Refer to 1 above

Does anything sound better than a set of drums? Me thinks not. I just like to play and play along to music. Pretty basic actually.

Nope. Everyone wants to be a drummer! lol

Just an observation :

It took 2008 drummers to open an event as grand as the Olympics!

ROCK ON!

Just the feel of the whole instrument. The fun of doesn't get any better. Knowing that your drumming can dictate the entire feel of a song; Half time, odd time, double time and so on. Plus listening to drummers that make me excited to play. Gregg Bissonette is it for me. I have many cd's w/him in my car that I listen to. Mostly on my way to rehearsals. I used to see him live a lot and after his gigs all I wanted to do was go play.........at 2a.m.......always had to wait till the next day though.

The sense of freedom and utter bliss I get from playing, especially with musicians. The sonic voyage I put myself on when I play goes straight to my soul. It's such a pure instrument and it gives me a real sense of inner peace and spiritual balance.

1)Playing a very easy but cool beat somewhat decently and having people who don't play think it is awesome. Which of course it is : )

2) learning something new all the time,

3)and my wife who constantly reminds me how much money I have invested in my hobby.

Knowing that my best playing is still ahead of me, somewhere in the future.

Back