What method of drum video critiquing do you go by?

MrPockets

Gold Member
1. If you could have played it better, you have no issues informing the drummer as such.

2. Inform the drummer their talents are better than what they are showing.

3. If you are not a fan of the techniques used you will tell them which drumming techniques you think would have been better.

4. You comment on what you like as well as your preferences if the drum cover goes against those.

5. You only comment on what you like.

6. You say, "That looks cool!" or "Great drumming!" every time.

Examples:

"If I were to play that I would have done this, this, and that as well as adding this and that. Basically it would be bigger, better, and more pleasing to the ear if I did it. Here is the video of my version."

"Your drumming has been slipping lately, are you doing okay?"

"You should have used more paradiddles, I hate it when people only use single strokes. Also, I don't like it when I see more than 2 crashes, it looks pretentious."

"That is a cool beat! I usually prefer less notes, but it is nice other wise."

"Nice stickings!"

"Sweet drumming brah."

If I were to comment, it would probably be a number 4 or 5 critique. I am not comfortable telling others what techniques to use as in number 3 because sometimes I think it sounds really good and then a forum user posts, "This is too basic" or something. I'm sure we can all agree people who do number 1 critiques are jerks.

Last edited:
I type out a long, well thought out reply with all my constructive criticism. I then remember what an asshole I am, and how bad I am at playing drums, and close my browser without hitting the post button.

Then I go play drums.

I do #7, and avoid it completely.

Drummers, critique yourselves only.

Only when someone genuinely asks would I even consider offering my take on their playing.

Even then I don't like it.

I'm not that into drum covers, so it's rare for me to comment unless someone's asking a specific question, or the performance is exceptional. I'm happy to chime in on examples of playing with other musicians though - different deal altogether.

If asked I tell them how I truly feel. If I am not asked, I say nothing. Youtube videos at times ask. Some don't.

Like the other responders, I'm unlikely to respond at all.

If I do respond I apply the old adage: If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

No, those singers' problems stem from family and friends who lie to them and tell them they're great. Or an exaggerated sense of talent. I know personally that I can hit the right notes but I also have a voice I can't stand the sound of so I'm smart enough to not sing where others can hear me :)

As far as drumming videos go, if I watch something exceptionally good I will make a comment. For everything else, I just steal their good ideas and give it a thumbs-up if I liked it enough.

I never give negative feedback, but I will have a go at people being arseholes about it. As far as I'm concerned, we're all on the same journey, it's just that some of us are only a few steps down the path rather than a few kilometres.

And this is why the shitty singers on American Idol cry when the judges tell them the truth.

The interwebz are full of people delivering beyond-critical comment that is downright nasty.

The shitty singers on AI cry because they have zero self awareness. Wait, zero awareness. By this stage they should know that AI is not there to create stars from undiscovered talent. It is there to create entertainment, and the "judges" are the stars of the show, not the cannon fodder that is paraded in front of them.

If, as a performer, you don't know what you're doing wrong (in addition to what you are doing right), you have no business appearing on stage (or YT) in front of people.

I do #7, and avoid it completely.

Pretty much.

I have no idea why people watch drum covers. I kind of get why people make them, but I can't understanding watching them.

Live clips, who knows the circumstances.

Overall, I really don't have time to log in and type up a criticism. And it's not like everything I'm on that is floating around youtube is peachy and perfect.

Step 1: Set metronome to determine initial bpm and make spot comparisons throughout.

Step 2: Data on internal dynamics is recorded and compared with averages for the genre.

Step 3: A study of the drum and cymbal tones and drum tuning. The various tonal compatibilities are assessed with pitch detection software.

Step 4: Feed the data into SPSS. The ensuing graphs and tables will provide an overall Merit Score and determine just how much I like the performance.

Step 5: Plug into a mainframe and free my spirit to become one with The Great Algorithm :)

How can I put this kindly?

If questions like these are what you are actually spending more than 5 seconds thinking about you have got it all wrong.

Who cares about what anyone posts on a YouTube comment?

It has nothing to do with actually playing the drums.

Step 1: Set metronome to determine initial bpm and make spot comparisons throughout.

Step 2: Data on internal dynamics is recorded and compared with averages for the genre.

Step 3: A study of the drum and cymbal tones and drum tuning. The various tonal compatibilities are assessed with pitch detection software.

Step 4: Feed the data into SPSS. The ensuing graphs and tables will provide an overall Merit Score and determine just how much I like the performance.

Step 5: Plug into a mainframe and free my spirit to become one with The Great Algorithm :)

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!
(20 characters and all that...)

I tend to comment on what I like for videos. I very rarely offer critique, even if specifically asked for. In those cases, I usually just don't say anything.

It's entirely subjective. If it's deserving of praise, it gets some. If it's just another young player engaging in Youtube narcissism, I usually don't bother commenting. The cookie-cutter drum cover videos we're all used to don't usually make it past the first gaudy linear fill before I turn them off.

Mind you, being worthy of praise doesn't necessarily have do with the quality of the playing, either. Guts can be praiseworthy. A certain kind of joy, enthusiasm and charisma can be praiseworthy. Having an interesting idea is very praiseworthy, as sometimes the best tricks for stealing come from less experienced players who don't know they aren't supposed to play all the right stuff, yet. I usually like to tell them I'm going to nick it. It's only fair.

If the video is posted as a "critique this" thing, then I might weigh in where I feel it appropriate. Though I'm wary of such videos that are really just an attempt to get me to watch them and be impressed. They have a certain fragrance, usually.

Generally brand of shoes, number of cameras (more is better) and then the brand of equipment.

Don't really watch them if I'm honest, I suppose it's a good way to get your playing seen but leaves you open to online abuse.

I have to do promo vids for the function band and they're pure soul destroying! But if they get us booking and lots of money it's worth it.

Back