What Makes Keith Moon a Legendary Drummer?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
OldSkoolsoul man you beat me to it!!!!! ROFL that's priceless. I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't return eventually.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
"Flamboyant" is how I will always remember Keith Moon-a flare for drumming, flare for life. Watching him play compared to his peers was him zipping around basically streaming on drums LOL.

Sebenza

Cant's say I'm a fan of all those color coded 'drummer attributes' and 'minimum drummer level' requirements for the different parts... Its aimed at young folks playing video games, right?

drummingbulldog

Moon was an original. Ever tried to play his parts. They're definitely weird in that they aren't what a typical or schooled drummer would play. Some of simple & some are deceptively difficult because his fills are in odd places. He's like Sinatra in that even though you may know the words/phrases, playing it exactly the way HE did it is next to impossible. Moon did not operate with the same parameters as the rest of us.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Yeah, his other videos he does a decent job emulating other drummer's parts and vibes without copying them and having his own spice to things, but I didn't really feel Moon in this video. He's so unorthodox that you really have to let go of a lot of "schooling" in order to ape him.

brushes

Sorry but this video is just horribly wrong and full of badly played drumparts. I just don't know where to start in order to correct things... I need to take breath first.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Yeah, his other videos he does a decent job emulating other drummer's parts and vibes without copying them and having his own spice to things, but I didn't really feel Moon in this video. He's so unorthodox that you really have to let go of a lot of "schooling" in order to ape him.

It's fair to say that Moon's drumming had a frantic-bohemian vibe to it, and that few other drummers can emulate it.

Outside of Jon Bolton and Greg Saunier, I really can't name any that I've seen reproduce it.

The music he made with The Who. If it weren’t for the songs, we may have never heard of him.
Agreed. But if it weren't for Moon's playing, many of us—even hardcore music fans like us, and certainly the larger population—wouldn't have heard those songs; his playing (and Entwhistle's) was absolutely integral to their success, both artistic and commercial. (Strange as it is to those of who raised on classic rock and AOR, the Who were never the sales behemoths of the Beatles or even the Rolling Stones, never having a #1 song or LP, and only a single Top 10 single—Moon's playing [and perhaps his off-stage behavior] is absolutely every bit as big a reason for the Who's fame in the 60s and 70s as Townshend's amazing songs.)

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
As some of you have said, Moons drumming does not fit into normal drumming rules. The music The Who created was written with the drums in mind. Lots of drum fills are an integral part of the songs. Unlike any other music. Playing Moon style with non-Who songs sounds terrible.

One of the secrets to Moon's playing is that he was playing the melody and the guitar parts. Listen closely, most of the time his fills mirrored the melody and the guitar riffs of the song. In order to play like Keith Moon, you need to hear the song like Keith heard the song. You need to play fills that mimic Townshend's guitar playing and Daltrey's singing.

I love playing Who songs. It's totally liberating. It's drumming heaven !

iCe

As some of you have said, Moons drumming does not fit into normal drumming rules. The music The Who created was written with the drums in mind. Lots of drum fills are an integral part of the songs. Unlike any other music. Playing Moon style with non-Who songs sounds terrible.

One of the secrets to Moon's playing is that he was playing the melody and the guitar parts. Listen closely, most of the time his fills mirrored the melody and the guitar riffs of the song. In order to play like Keith Moon, you need to hear the song like Keith heard the song. You need to play fills that mimic Townshend's guitar playing and Daltrey's singing.

I love playing Who songs. It's totally liberating. It's drumming heaven !
I think this also applies to progressive rock/metal (which i love by the way). It's about breaking through barriers and doing things that aren't the 'established order'. But like all human things; stray too far from the main flock the flock and you'll be criticized.