What made you want to start drumming?

What makes an 8 year old do anything? But , ya know, after all these years of playing with drums now I finally want to learn how- so I’ll leave the why question alone and go with “how”. One thing about drummers is either we have a collective consciousness or we all just steal cool licks and grooves and you see about everyone using it in their drumming vocabulary.

Whatever reason why it was I’m sure glad I did because it’s been a constant longer than other hobbies, habits, etc. It’s brought all of us together which unlikely we would have much in common considering our eclectic bunch. Well except our humanity but that doesn’t carry much weight nowadays cause everything is ideological so next thing ya know we are fighting or killing each other. If we ever had an in person DW forum party there could be no alcohol, drugs, or drum sticks because it would be like allowing guns in bars-and likely a blood bath lol. Just kidding- maybe?

My parents were eager to get me into music from a very early age, started out with piano lessons at the age of 6-7. I knew from early on I wanted to get into the school marching band, as that was a big thing at the time, if you were into music in my town. I basically had no idea of the world of drumming, but I knew my father used to play drums, so when it was time to choose instruments, nothing seemed interesting at first. Until the very end, when the instructor said there was one spot left, on drums. I quickly raised my hand, quicker than a few other unlucky souls, and I got signed up. Who knows, if it were not for that day, I might have done something completely different. Did not have a talent for it to begin with though, I struggled hard the first years, until it "clicked". Those years with rudiment training was worth it though.

What do you call a guy who loves music, hangs out with musicians, but has no musical talent?

When i was younger i had a older friend that had a pearl drum set that he wouldnt let me play .he always said it needed new heads or something so i gave up asking .and i grew up living in apartment complexes .so im 48 now playing practicing for around 2 years and guess who has a pearl masters studio mcx.thats right me mother trucker

I've posted this before.
Went to a rough middle school with folks that hadn't graduated into murder and sexual assault yet.
Noticed that during lunch periods instead of getting pummeled by the future felons of America,you could hang out in the band room
away from the Droogs and the ultra violence.
Friend recruited me to play tenor drum ,and the rest was history.
1624641077956.png

Last edited:
What do you call a guy who loves music, hangs out with musicians, but has no musical talent?

for me, it has always been the sound guy...or better yet...producers :cool:

Long story as quick as possible. I was horrible in highschool. Two of my friends had kits which mesmerized me...both blue sparkle kits. Mike one afternoon was showing me things on drums and why I caught on quickly I don't know. I was hopeless in school yet Mike one afternoon said man! You learn quick. I never got the chance to tell him befor he passed away from cancer that his words changed my life. It was like..im good at something?. Even today those words are in my soul.

Long story as quick as possible. I was horrible in highschool. Two of my friends had kits which mesmerized me...both blue sparkle kits. Mike one afternoon was showing me things on drums and why I caught on quickly I don't know. I was hopeless in school yet Mike one afternoon said man! You learn quick. I never got the chance to tell him befor he passed away from cancer that his words changed my life. It was like..im good at something?. Even today those words are in my Mike

Sounds like mike was a good friend, and a real brother drummer. I am sure you will pass on to someone what mike did for you. Thanks BOZ. for sharing that. I guess sometimes being a good drummer is not how fast you can play a double stroke roll ?

Long story as quick as possible. I was horrible in highschool. Two of my friends had kits which mesmerized me...both blue sparkle kits. Mike one afternoon was showing me things on drums and why I caught on quickly I don't know. I was hopeless in school yet Mike one afternoon said man! You learn quick. I never got the chance to tell him befor he passed away from cancer that his words changed my life. It was like..im good at something?. Even today those words are in my soul.

and he probably hears every note you play!!!

This

1625224625691.png

Drummer at center stage providing a solid beat for the rest to do their stuff on. And also that kit looked amazing to me with all toms drums and cymbals <3

I had two friends in high school who played guitar and bass, so naturally the guy who always was beating on things and air drumming would pick the most expensive and heaviest instrument to join the fun.
From then it's been a lot of on and off due to financial and living constraints, but the wife bought me a kit for my birthday 2 years ago and I've been wailing away badly since.

I knew I always wanted to play drums, but there was no support so it happened when I could make it happen for me.

Back