What kit is this, and should I get it?

IBitePrettyHard

This Premier bop kit popped up in my area. I don't really NEED a bop kit, but I just.......you guys know how it is. What's up Bo!

It looks like it'd be useful to have for smaller gigs where I would've used my Breakbeats kit.

It says Made in England. Is this a Premier XPK or APK? It looks to me like a Black Diamond Pearl wrap, which I love.

Sizes are 18x16" bass (which is kinda deep), a 12x9 rack and 14x14 floor. It's in "very good condition". He's asking $300. Since I don't need a kit like this, I guess I'll be persuaded if this is a GREAT deal...like an impulse purchase you just snatch up because it's such a great deal.

How does this kit sound? There's almost no good videos on Youtube.

Is this a kit I need to snatch up, even though I don't really need it, cuz I'll regret it later? Or is this just a nice-to-have kit if I have extra money to burn?

CYP47

Hard to tell for me. I’d pretty much buy any made in England premier kit but I have no clue what this is

harryconway

Platinum Member
I think XPK's were lacquer/stain finish. APK's were wrap. Looks like a wonderful little kit. Get it. 18x16 shouldn't be a problem. I've got a Yamaha 18x14 and an RMV 18x16 .... and they're both very nice. Heck, Elvin Jones had an 18x18 (Yamaha Maple Custom) ..... and he made it work.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Just because something is a good deal doesn't mean you have to have it. For whatever reason, Premier stuff just doesn't command a decent price (in my area at least), so if you ever want to sell it, they are difficult to unload. I, personally, have no need for any kit sporting an 18" kick. That's too many strikes against me getting it if I were in your shoes. To me, $300 will buy me a VERY usable snare drum, and I'd rather have a good, solid snare that I'll be much more likely to use than a kit that I may or may not ever use.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Judging from the lugs and Premier logo on the bass head it's an APK Heritage bebop kit. Older model since they don't do the Black Diamond wrap anymore. $300 is a decent price but I'd offer $250 and see if he takes it. After all you don't NEED the kit.

Last edited:

IBitePrettyHard

Judging from the lugs and Premier logo on the bass head it's an APK Heritage bebop kit. Older model since they don't do the Black Diamond wrap anymore. $300 is a decent price but I'd offer $250 and see if he takes it. After all you don't NEED the kit.
I think you're right, thanks! Using your info I just found this deep down in a Google Images search. It was posted on Gumtree in the UK. "UK made late 1990's". It matches the spec perfectly, albeit with different shell sizes.