What kit do you use?

Skate

At home, I have a crappy electronic kit, but at school we have a 2 month old Mapex kit with Paiste cymbals. We have two other kits, but they are quite old, and the skins are not very good.

At home, I have a crappy electronic kit, but at school we have a 2 month old Mapex kit with Paiste cymbals. We have two other kits, but they are quite old, and the skins are not very good.

Get your teacher to buy some new heads for them, may be surprised what they sound like. Old doesn't necessarily mean bad, they could be incredible sounding kits if tuned up properly with new heads. Do you know what drums they are?

I play a Yamaha kit I've had for 28 years and a DW performance kit I've had for 5 years. Zildjian cymbals on both.

1967 Rogers Holiday 12/16/20 and 2014 Yamaha Club Custom 12/14/18 - use the Club Custom for jazz and the indie acoustic band I'm in, and use the Rogers for jazz, punk, everything else, an amazing "old" kit that can hold it's own with any modern high end kit.

I've played on low budget kits at practice spaces that sounded quite good due to good heads and being well tuned - tell your school to put new heads on their wish list, maybe someone will donate some!

I have a 70s Ludwig classic maple, and a 2013 Ludwig classic maple. The 70s kit lives in cases and is ready to go at a moments' notice.

PDP CX series in White Onyx (WMP)

Talk about your bang for the buck. $125 for a 22 x 18 kick, 12" rack tom, 14" suspended floor tom and a 14 x 5 snare.

I added a 10" tom for 100 and a 16" legged floor tom for another 200 by the time I re wrapped it. I don't use the suspended tom, and gave the snare to my son. I like a 5 piece.

So 425 total. I get a lot of compliments on that set. I almost hate saying that they were so inexpensive to those who compliment them, it bursts their bubble. So I don't mention it anymore.

I could gig a much more expensive DW Collectors exotic set but TBH, I get as good of a sound from my PDP's.

I like the stage look of the PDP's. The wrap is nice and bright, where my DW's lacquer finish is really dark.

I like how they record on my little capture device too. They beat the snot out of my now donated Pearl Session Customs tone-wise.

At home I have two acoustic kits: a 4 piece DW Collectors (Broken Glass) - 24, 13, 16, and 6x14 edge snare; and a 7 piece PDP CX (Blue Onyx) - 22, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 5.5x14 snare. I also have a Yamaha DTXtreme.

At a rehearsal space I have a 4 piece early 1970's Yamaha CS series - 20, 12, 14, and 5.5x14 steel snare.

The PDP, and Yamaha, are seeing the most action for gigs.

Gretsch Renown, 22, 8, 10, 12, 14

Orphan Kit 12 rack, 13 floor, 18 x 16 bass

Assorted others to add to either kit. 10 inch Catalina rack, and a 16 x 16 Catalina floor tom

Last edited:
I like 'quite old'
1960's Slingerlands 13-16-22 and 12-16-20

ask your teacher to put new 'skins' on the old kits and they will sound fine.

DW Collectors Maple
Vintage 1960's Premier
Gretsch Catalina
Pearl Export

PDP CX series in White Onyx (WMP)

Talk about your bang for the buck. $125 for a 22 x 18 kick, 12" rack tom, 14" suspended floor tom and a 14 x 5 snare.

I added a 10" tom for 100 and a 16" legged floor tom for another 200 by the time I re wrapped it. I don't use the suspended tom, and gave the snare to my son. I like a 5 piece.

So 425 total. I get a lot of compliments on that set. I almost hate saying that they were so inexpensive to those who compliment them, it bursts their bubble. So I don't mention it anymore.

I could gig a much more expensive DW Collectors exotic set but TBH, I get as good of a sound from my PDP's.

At home I have two acoustic kits: a 4 piece DW Collectors (Broken Glass) - 24, 13, 16, and 6x14 edge snare; and a 7 piece PDP CX (Blue Onyx) - 22, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 5.5x14 snare. I also have a Yamaha DTXtreme.

The PDP, and Yamaha, are seeing the most action for gigs.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but have you guys noticed the recognition that the early PDP CX kits are getting now? The "secret" on these kits seems to be getting around. Made in Mexico using DW machines and the same maple wood used by DW USA, and assembled by people who apparently had been well trained, as the quality control on these was very good. The CX series are essentially DW drums with ugly lugs! I wouldn't part with mine at all. Might buy another set some day, but the CXs are going nowhere.

GeeDeeEmm

Main kit - Yamaha Maple Custom in Natural 22, 14, 12, 10
Other kit - Ludwig Accent in Wine 22x2, 16, 13, 12, 10, 8, 6
2am drumming - Simmons SD5X

Yamaha Stage Custom with Istanbul Mehmet Sultan cymbals and a Gibraltar throne.

Back