what kind of tom heads should I use?

KDB

I have a Yamaha 9000 drum set with really old tom heads, and I need new ones but I'm not sure what kind to get. I need one 13in head, one 15in head and one 18in head. im looking for some heads with a deep sound and good action/ bounce. It's been a wile since I've looked at tom heads so I was wondering if anyone would have some recommendations.

harryconway

Platinum Member
The 9000 series (Recording Customs) came with Remo Pinstripe heads, from the factory. I always thought the Pinstripe was a bit too muted. I used to run coated Emperior batter and clear Ambassador reso., on my RC's.

yammyfan

I tried several combinations on my birch Yamahas and Remo Pinstripe Clears over Ambassador Clears were the... forgive the pun... clear winner.

I like my drums to sound "studio EQ'd" which to me is deep and punchy without too many overtones. Clear Pinstripes on birch drums do exactly that.

V-Four

Evans G2 (coated). I know several folks like the clear.. but gosh darn it, I like the coated. Now, when I was a teenager (in the 80s), the only answer was Pinstripes. Coated heads were for uncool "old people" with their Jazz and whatnot ;). The black dots looked too 1970's, almost as uncool as the "white heads".

Kinda funny.. that Ive come to love coated heads, yet still hate the look of the black dots..

In fact, Im changing my sig right now, to say Evans G2 Coated. It may even be there when you read this.. is that magic or what?

T.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Evans G2 (coated). I know several folks like the clear.. but gosh darn it, I like the coated. Now, when I was a teenager (in the 80s), the only answer was Pinstripes. Coated heads were for uncool "old people" with their Jazz and whatnot ;). The black dots looked too 1970's, almost as uncool as the "white heads".

Kinda funny.. that Ive come to love coated heads, yet still hate the look of the black dots..

In fact, Im changing my sig right now, to say Evans G2 Coated. It may even be there when you read this.. is that magic or what?

T.
I recognise myself here ! Now I only want coated or clear single ply.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I tried several combinations on my birch Yamahas and Remo Pinstripe Clears over Ambassador Clears were the... forgive the pun... clear winner.

I like my drums to sound "studio EQ'd" which to me is deep and punchy without too many overtones. Clear Pinstripes on birch drums do exactly that.
My experience exactly. I worked in a music store when I had my RCs and had a chance to try every drum head on the market at that time. In the end, clear Pinstripes over clear Ambassadors (exactly what the drums came with from the factory) were - by a long shot - the "clear winner."

GeeDeeEmm

notvinnie

im looking for some heads with a deep sound and good action/ bounce.
You can't really get a deep sound and good action/bounce from one type of head. Deep sound usually requires either a double-ply head, or single ply head with a looser tension. A good action/bounce requires a thinner head or a tighter tension. A happy medium would probably be a Remo Emperor (coated or clear) head, or a Remo Ambassador head with some dampening (via tape or gel). You've got larger drums, so you'll probably get a deep sound just from their larger diameter. I think you can get away with a tighter tension and use Emperors. Pinstripe are nice too, but they tend to sound kind of flat after they've been used for a few weeks.