what kind of tom heads should I use?

KDB

I have a Yamaha 9000 drum set with really old tom heads, and I need new ones but I'm not sure what kind to get. I need one 13in head, one 15in head and one 18in head. im looking for some heads with a deep sound and good action/ bounce. It's been a wile since I've looked at tom heads so I was wondering if anyone would have some recommendations.

harryconway

Platinum Member
The 9000 series (Recording Customs) came with Remo Pinstripe heads, from the factory. I always thought the Pinstripe was a bit too muted. I used to run coated Emperior batter and clear Ambassador reso., on my RC's.

yammyfan

I tried several combinations on my birch Yamahas and Remo Pinstripe Clears over Ambassador Clears were the... forgive the pun... clear winner.

I like my drums to sound "studio EQ'd" which to me is deep and punchy without too many overtones. Clear Pinstripes on birch drums do exactly that.

V-Four

Evans G2 (coated). I know several folks like the clear.. but gosh darn it, I like the coated. Now, when I was a teenager (in the 80s), the only answer was Pinstripes. Coated heads were for uncool "old people" with their Jazz and whatnot ;). The black dots looked too 1970's, almost as uncool as the "white heads".

Kinda funny.. that Ive come to love coated heads, yet still hate the look of the black dots..

In fact, Im changing my sig right now, to say Evans G2 Coated. It may even be there when you read this.. is that magic or what?

T.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Evans G2 (coated). I know several folks like the clear.. but gosh darn it, I like the coated. Now, when I was a teenager (in the 80s), the only answer was Pinstripes. Coated heads were for uncool "old people" with their Jazz and whatnot ;). The black dots looked too 1970's, almost as uncool as the "white heads".

Kinda funny.. that Ive come to love coated heads, yet still hate the look of the black dots..

In fact, Im changing my sig right now, to say Evans G2 Coated. It may even be there when you read this.. is that magic or what?

T.
I recognise myself here ! Now I only want coated or clear single ply.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I tried several combinations on my birch Yamahas and Remo Pinstripe Clears over Ambassador Clears were the... forgive the pun... clear winner.

I like my drums to sound "studio EQ'd" which to me is deep and punchy without too many overtones. Clear Pinstripes on birch drums do exactly that.
My experience exactly. I worked in a music store when I had my RCs and had a chance to try every drum head on the market at that time. In the end, clear Pinstripes over clear Ambassadors (exactly what the drums came with from the factory) were - by a long shot - the "clear winner."

GeeDeeEmm

notvinnie

im looking for some heads with a deep sound and good action/ bounce.
You can't really get a deep sound and good action/bounce from one type of head. Deep sound usually requires either a double-ply head, or single ply head with a looser tension. A good action/bounce requires a thinner head or a tighter tension. A happy medium would probably be a Remo Emperor (coated or clear) head, or a Remo Ambassador head with some dampening (via tape or gel). You've got larger drums, so you'll probably get a deep sound just from their larger diameter. I think you can get away with a tighter tension and use Emperors. Pinstripe are nice too, but they tend to sound kind of flat after they've been used for a few weeks.

Frank

Gold Member
It took me a long time to figure out my own way with heads. You have to do this. Try lots of different kinds over the years, and you will find what You love.

These days, my go to head is Aquarian Studio-X clear.

Also took me a long time to figure out if I preferred coated or clear. I eventually figured it out. I Greatly prefer the touch and tone of clear over coated. I will read manufacturers talk about the warmth of coated heads, but My ears don't tell me that at all. I hear the warmth I look for, and the attack sound and feel I look for, in a clear head.

Consider the exploration "tuition." I personally have spent a great deal on "tuition" over the years with different heads and sticks.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Consider the exploration "tuition." I personally have spent a great deal on "tuition" over the years with different heads and sticks.
I too have bought a lot of heads and sticks chasing down my sound and I learned a lot about what to expect from different models and different manufacturers through the process. It wasn't a cheap education but now I can buy a lot more decisively when I need my next change.

If you want to cut to the chase a little quicker I'd suggest picking two or three models for just one tom and try them out.

Peedy

Like your cymbal preference, so much of your drum head preference is what just sounds right to you. I bought a kit five years back sporting single ply clears. But when I hit them, my mouth would go sideways as I thought, “that just doesn’t sound right”.

G2s would get my vote currently but you should watch a comparison video on YouTube and let your ears and heart decide.

Pete

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Black dots. Take off the bottom heads.
Why not take it all the way to the end of the road...47 year old dented up Evans Hydraulics, the red ones, that the oil inside has dried up, because of the rip that needed duct tape over the entire head....a few different colors and brands of tape, and a few different layers, all applied during different Presidencies and during different decades. With a bunch of brand new modern spotless moongels, plus tape and tissue band-aids from 1979... 2 on every head, that are molecularly bonded and will never come off without tearing a piece of the head out. There's an original piece of Dr. Scholl's nasty old tan moleskin from 1972 there, underneath all that. Single headed concert toms for the win. Cherry on top.

I'm imagining it now.

And now I'm barfing.

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
I usually start with coated over clear Ambassadors. If I find myself using moongel 99% of the time on the outer edge, I'll consider a head with a control ring. If I find myself using moongel 99% of the time towards the middle, I'll consider a dot head. If the drums simply sound too good, and I need them to sound horrible and lack day-to-day tuning consistency, I'll consider an Emperor or other double ply head.

Last edited:

Rhythm666

Top side rack toms remo emperor coated or clear, Evans g2's coated or clear, bottoms remo ambassador.
Same for floortoms but bottom side floors a clear emperor or g2

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Andy Newmark always had a killer sound both live and in the studio using those drums e.g. Roxy Music's album Avalon or Brian Ferry live in Berlin

From a Modern Drummer interview years ago: "I use Remo white-frosted Ambassador drumheads, top and bottom. The bass drum has a blanket inside, folded up neatly, and the front head has a hole cut out about a foot in diameter in order that microphones can be placed in front of the drum."

dwsabianguy

Pinstripes are cool for that dark, thuddy 80s thing, but I always thought they were a little too scooped-sounding on 9000s. Emperors are more my style; clear for more attack, coated for a more subdued attack.

I run clear Ambassadors tops and bottoms of my Birch Absolutes and love the open, lively sound and feel, so as usual YMMV.