What kind of music do you traditionally play?

TxGroove

Generally, I like to play rock n' roll and punk rock, or pop punk, and fiddle around the drums playing jazz notes or grooves as a practice technique or a warm up before I really start playing songs. What do you guys typically play?

Jazz, pop, soul, funk....

Depending on where I live at the moment I might play some classical stuff. Not doing any of that now. Moving for a new jo next month, so we'll see how things are there, but I'd much prefer to get in with the jazz crowd, if there is one.

Practice wise I work a lot on improvisation and general skill, usually within a framework that represents something I want to be more comfortable with.

I've worked on all sorts of things at some point just to know what I'm talking about and find the best ways to work on something, but personally I have absolutely no interest in anything metal. My students obviously do though, so I can't escape it completely. I don't live under a rock, I just don't get any personal pleasure from listening to it.

The rare gigs I do get called for are usually one time things, often with pretty wide range of styles. Nothing too complicated and I really only get called locally when things have to be done right and quickly. Anniversaries or big annual tings. Most of the time, if they can get away wih it, they look for people they dont have to pay.

For fun with friends it's jazz and fusion all the way.

I try to play good music. LOL just kidding. Actually I go through phases-so went through jazz phase, then Steely Dan phase, now more blues, funk, rock and fusion. But exactly now it's Foo fighters and Fearless flyers I'm taking a fancy.

I try to play good music. LOL just kidding. Actually I go through phases-so went through jazz phase, then Steely Dan phase, now more blues, funk, rock and fusion. But exactly now it's Foo fighters and Fearless flyers I'm taking a fancy.
I loosely play that aggressive stuff as much as i can, or if I can. I try to play Jazz a lot more for it's technique and pioneer sound. I try to give the people what they want. If my band wants to jam to some jazz or some Willy Nelson style stuff, I will that's the kinda drummer I am.

Think this thread was accidentally posted twice...
Thanks for letting me know. I was trying to find a way to delete the thread, but can't seem to find a delete tab? Is there a way I can delete this post?

More important than musical style is the quality of the musicians. To me almost any style can be fun as long as the other musicians know what they're doing. I mostly play jazz as well as some rock or gospel stuff, but I try to play other styles as authentic as I can just in case someone calls for it. I hate saying "sorry, I'm not able to play that music". Nevertheless, whenever it comes to latin stuff I pray that I do well haha. It's still not my cup of tea.

I just play "Mustang Sally" over and over again.

Last edited:
Kidding!

Let's see...

I currently play several genres of rock music, several genres of country music, and worship music.

I the first 2 decades I was a drummer, I was a teenager--banging my head, played heavy guitar music, metal, hard rock, classic rock.

In the last 8 months or so, since getting back into drumming, I've enjoyed playing funk, soul, 60s type stuff. Michael Jackson, James Brown, Earth Wind & Fire, etc. I still enjoy my Foo Fighters and other rock, but I'm certainly able to appreciate much more these days. Don't get me wrong, I loved listening to Prince and other R&B artists when I was young. I just chose not to play their music when I was behind the kit.

Since what we now call "classic rock" was current when I started playing in the 60's, that's my favorite genre. I also play some metal, but not the real hardcore stuff (ie: Meshuggah or Gojira, etc) I'm just not as fast as I used to be, especially with the bass.

Back