What kind of music do you traditionally play?

TxGroove

Generally, I like to play rock n' roll and punk rock, or pop punk, and fiddle around the drums playing jazz notes or grooves as a practice technique or a warm up before I really start playing songs. What do you guys typically play?

Hi TxGroove. Last eight years traditional blues and blues rock bands. I also do fill ins for dinner clubs and weddings. And welcome to DW.

Metal. All kinds of it. That's all I wanted to be, a metal drummer. Spent 8 years in a death metal band. Now that I don't gig anymore, I still play metal mostly. I do like to dabble in other genres, but 90% of the time it's metal. I like to run my feet, do big fills, and go fast.

I grew up on rockabilly. No, I’m not that old, but my mom had a huge rockabilly collection, so play some of that. Wasn’t exposed to 60s or 70s music till much later. I cut my teeth playing 80s hair band and metal. Later funk, pop, reggae. I try to play as many different genres as I can, but still suck at some of the more complex world beats and traditional Jazz. Been focusing on those too, so a bit of everything I suppose. If I had to identify with one, I’d say I’m a rock drummer.

Metal. All kinds of it. That's all I wanted to be, a metal drummer. Spent 8 years in a death metal band. Now that I don't gig anymore, I still play metal mostly. I do like to dabble in other genres, but 90% of the time it's metal. I like to run my feet, do big fills, and go fast.
+1
d.png
+2 (minus the death metal part) :cool:

+3, all sorts of metal, and I still play out as much as possible.

Rock , heavy rock , southern rock, metal ( not all) , blues, funk , some country , some pop , some jazz, some oldies 50’s & 60’s. I guess i enjoy playing all kinds of music , but if I gotta pick a category or two I traditionally play I’d say ....rock and blues .

What kind of music do you traditionally play?

Both kinds. Heavy and metal. :p
I like it technical, outrageously heavy, inventive yet (somehow) tasteful.

I play anything. I was taught to be able to play all that I'm able to learn how to play. So I've done a lot of rock n roll (in all iterations), country-western, Broadway show tunes (I've played a few stage plays throughout college and in actual theaters, studied lots of jazz as a kid and studied and played alot of it in college.I've done blues bands, fusion bands, wedding bands, classic and heavy rock bands, reggae bands.....I've sight read alot of stuff. I'm definitely no Vinnie Colaiuta, but I try.

I usually just practice on a pad now, but occasionally play classic rock, rock, pop, blues, country cover bands stuff if the "phone rings"...I'll play whatever I can get. In the past I've played in a tribute band, hard rock bands, and a metal band. I'd love to play original hard rock/metal again or maybe do another tribute.

Whatever Hal Blaine played on.

That and Motown.

After that, circa 1972, I became "experienced" and all manner of rock and roll, fusion, and prog rock took over.

That came to an end on Jan 2, 1983 when I listened to my first Muddy Waters cassette and got inextricably hooked on blues.

I'm still patiently waiting to see what comes next.

I do attempt to listen to jazz and am trying to make sense of it but I can't say I've ever had a jazz phase.

Last edited:
…. What do you guys typically play?

Usually 80's "hair metal" ..still..(though, its really more hard rock than the "meatal" title it carries).
Motley/Poison/Ratt/warrant/Saigon Kick/Bullet boys/Dangerous toys..etc (the stuff from my early years) ;)

also, pop punk (ish) stuff from 90s-2000's

also grunge/rap rock and alt stuff from 90's to today.

I guess pretty much whatever im in the mood for. I don't do jazz, but, that's probably cuz I cant do it well...I assume (never actually tried).

MY OPINION is that blues is kinda boring.. especially when just drumming alone (or playin along to music).

That's pretty much the end of my story.

T.

I like playing to a lot of Alternative stuff, primarily because of the unique percussive elements in those songs.

Rock'n'roll in one of the bands I play in; typical "classic rock" Bowie, Mott, Heep, Purple etc. Jazz in the other band, Miles, Brubeck, Coltrane etc. Best of both worlds I say, but I would like to be in a soul band too, with some horns and backing vocals, that would be something. And of course an originals band, with mellotrone and organ, early prog stuff, but that hasn't happened yet.

Currently....

In public: Worship or modern "church" music and original Americana style acoustic stuff.
In private: You can find me butchering and fumbling through some Jazz, Fusion and Sinatra, or slamming some early 50s rock and R&B tunes.
Latest Discovery: Caro Emerald or "That Man Radio" on Pandora.

Once in a great while I will hang out with some buddies from years back and butcher some old man "standards" of the Classic Rock period.

I play rock - and the heavier the better.

But I did learn the basics of other genres while taking lessons years ago, so I don't mind when my band breaks the waves and plays something a bit out of our norm.

I'm also looking to join a jazz ensemble class this fall to see where that takes me.

Back