What kind of "custom" stuff have you done to your kit?

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

I remember seeing a foot pedal operated cowbell someone here (can't remember who) fabricated, and some other cool stuff, too.
As I'm now in the business of custom drum fabs and repair, please post pics and descriptions of all the cool modifications, hardware, and accessories that you have pieced together, made from scratch, or made improvements on from factory stuff.

I can't wait to see what all gets posted on this thread! I know it'll be killer.

Cheers,
C. P.

mcbike

Silver Member

This was a 70's gretsch kit that had a wrapped finish and the original hardware. all the hardware was stripped off, cleaned, or replaced when needed.

I put modern gretsch floor tom legs to replace the terrible old design.

the tom mount in the bass drum was patched up to make a virgin bass drum.
also the bass drum spurs were replaced with modern pearl-style telescoping spurs.

the tom mount on the rack tom was removed and patched to make a "virgin" shell also.

then the whole kit was lacquered in silver sparkle, including the hoops inside and out.

It is easier to patch up a gretsch kit because the inside of the shells are painted with galvanized fence paint.

I'm probably going to get my edges redone on my 70's ludwig kit, and replace any rusted hardware, maybe do a re-wrap.

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

Whoo-ooo-ooh!
MAN- I'm glad I posted this thread, as it's SO COOL to see what people have done with their talents, innovation skills, ideas, and parts.

This is one of the things (in my opinion) that makes it all worthwhile, and more exciting.
I absolutely LOVE this kinda stuff. Necessity is a "mother" alright!

Keep it coming, folks!

Cheers,
C. P.

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

Here's a few pics of my custom cowbell stand, and my home-made (reworked) hardware for my hi-hat-to bass drum mount, made from a shell-mounted cowbell holder, some 3/16" thick chrome steel plate, and other hardware I had lying around--

Rock forever,
C. P.

Attachments

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Well, my 14" x 12" Floor Tom started out as a Rack Tom. I ordered it to be like that, and played with it for a while, but needed something a little more universal. So ordered a 12" and added legs to the 14". See pics below:

I don't know if these count as "custom" but I also added "Cool Claws" to my Bass Drum, front and back hoops. http://www.m-drum.com/coolclaws/

A friend did a vinyl graphic of my logo and put it on my brass snare, and the smaller red sparkle snare was once an electonic pad. It was made from a keller maple shell, and I had baring edges and a snare bed cut into it and put snare hardware on it.