WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM SOUL VACCINATION

NickSchles

OK, so I'm pretty chuffed with myself because I've done a drum cover of Soul Vaccination by Tower Of Power.

I've been studying David Garibaldi's playing for a few months now, and I find it's doing my playing a lot of good. All the way from time and feel, to technique and coordination, and creativity!

In fact, I've done a couple of blog posts with some of the lessons discussing certain aspects, both technical and creative with some of the grooves.

BLOG 1: TECHNICAL
https://nickschlesinger.com/soul-vaccination-drum-grooves

BLOG 2: CREATIVE
https://nickschlesinger.com/funk-drum-beats

Anyhow, I wanted to share the cover with y'all if you're interested. It took me a month and a bit to learn, and 6 takes to get it in one go.

THE COVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6QcQ8aTTDo

Enjoy my concentration face playing Soul Vaccination. Next stop: Squib Cakes!

Have you guys been learning Tower Of Power stuff? Would love to see some cover! :)

s1212z

Great take, fun groove...thanks for sharing! Now I want to go and listen to some of those songs again. DG said it evolved out of swiss triplets and originally created via traditional but then broke it down linear with matched. My only critique is that David really shanked the hi-hat openings, not tipped as what it sounds/appears here. He did that alot for HH accents, especially something like the RH samba pattern in Oakland Stroke..I want to go back on that too. A bit more evident in Tower of Groove instead of the Drumeo. Now that I see this again, is plays alot more off-center for popping rimshots too.

SharkSandwich

Sounds great! Well done!

NickSchles

Great take, fun groove...thanks for sharing! Now I want to go and listen to some of those songs again. DG said it evolved out of swiss triplets and originally created via traditional but then broke it down linear with matched. My only critique is that David really shanked the hi-hat openings, not tipped as what it sounds/appears here. He did that alot for HH accents, especially something like the RH samba pattern in Oakland Stroke..I want to go back on that too. A bit more evident in Tower of Groove instead of the Drumeo. Now that I see this again, is plays alot more off-center for popping rimshots too.

It definitely is a great groove, and a fun song to learn. There's loads in there to improve all aspects of one's playing.

It inspired me to write those two blog posts I posted. The one which is centred around creativity came about because I started permuting snares and bass drum strokes to develop my vocabulary with the original idea. Here's the Instagram video of it:

And yes, DG is the man. Now, I'm not sure what you mean by "shanked the hi-hat openings"... What do you mean by "shank"?

:)

moxman

Silver Member
PERFECT! Or as they say 'NAILED IT!!'
I remember back in the 80's I forced one of my bands to learn it.. so much fun to play!
That whole album is one of the best of all time..