What is YOUR strongest quality or skill-set on the kit?

I'd have to say my ghost noting is my current work in progress.

Really good to know you are proud of them.

They are NOT easy to play well......good stuff!!
Thanks! I'm slowly catching up with doing it with my right hand on the snare when leading with my left on the hats. :)

Hal Blaine will tell you - you'll never get anywhere in life playing different genres. Fact.

I support that claim. While dabbling in multiple genres (e.g., picking up a few rhythms and riffs here and there) can broaden your skills somewhat, specialization is the only path to professionalism. Doing one thing exceptionally well will take you a lot farther than doing several things in a pedestrian way. Multitasking is a threat to excellence.

I support that claim. While dabbling in multiple genres (e.g., picking up a few rhythms and riffs here and there) can broaden your skills somewhat, specialization is the only path to professionalism. Doing one thing exceptionally well will take you a lot farther than doing several things in a pedestrian way. Multitasking is a threat to excellence.
Oops. I left my irony out to dry too long! Hal played on all sortsa stuff.

Jim Chapin once commented on his own playing and said he had good hands but hated his feet.

I'm working like a demon to get my feet up to a better standard.

We'll both get there froggy!

What's funny is that I agree with him. Have you ever listened to the recordings he did of the exercises out of his own book? Any one that involves bass drum work, he can't quite play it. Definitely made me chuckle, the author couldn't even play his own exercises. And it wasn't even *that* hard footwork, at least in a modern context. Damn good player though otherwise.

I get/got hired for my:

1. adaptability and wide range of style knowledge
2. organization and punctuality
3. I am called "One Take" in all of my bands, both on drums and bass
4. I can play guitar, bass, and some piano, so the guys in the band like it that they can say "lets start at the bridge, where we go B, Cm to G7", and I know exactly what they mean. I can read the chords in their hands.

and I also don't drunk, or do drugs, so my designated driving skills get me lots of gigs...

5. singers and guitarists like me cause I am ugly, so they don't have to worry about me stealing girls from them...
6. I drive an SUV

Last edited:
After a couple decades as a bass player, I have a pretty good ear for learning parts and good time with a solid feel.

That said, I am striving to be a drummer I could lock with as a bass player.

Now I gotta say something here.

I have mentioned before on here that you are one of the fastest and hardest hitting drummers I've seen.

If you can do that pickled........then that is astonishing.

I actually genuinely mean that.

At every gig, we will all be smashed when we play o_Oo_O I actually don't think we could play sober :D Thank you for the lovely compliment. Means a lot.

I get/got hired for my:

1. adaptability and wide range of style knowledge
2. organization and punctuality
3. I am called "One Take" in all of my bands, both on drums and bass
4. I can play guitar, bass, and some piano, so the guys in the band like it that they can say "lets start at the bridge, where we go B, Cm to G7", and I know exactly what they mean. I can read the chords in their hands.

and I also don't drunk, or do drugs, so my designated driving skills get me lots of gigs...

5. singers and guitarists like me cause I am ugly, so they don't have to worry about me stealing girls from them...
6. I drive an SUV

You are a studio engineer's dream.

I'm not sure I have a playing strength of any note, other than all round dependability. I'd like to say that translates to performance consistency, but that wouldn't be true.

You are always in work as a drummer, so your consistency must be of a hi standard.

Back