What is YOUR strongest quality or skill-set on the kit?

Channing

This is an interesting question. I’ve never really thought about what my strengths are as a drummer. I guess I have pretty good dynamic control and ability to play quietly/ at an appropriate volume. The only compliments I’ve ever gotten from other musicians were mostly about being dependable and meticulous about memorizing songs and stuff. That’s more of a personality trait than a drumming skill though.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I can learn music very quickly. That's what I've been told.

Personally, I feel like my hands are my greatest asset....got shitty feet, but good hands. So any sort of fill or lick that is hands only, I feel like I'm pretty strong at it.

A sense of time eh?

You've got the drummer's job sorted 100%
I wish ! If only . But I can improve my playing knowledge and technique With practice and build it around my timing 👌🏻. Some might build the other way where there playing and technique is good and then work to improve timing . I kinda wish maybe my playing and technique was better and then work on time and tempo’s , but the grass is always greener I guess .

Paul Blood

Over50drumguy said: "I wish ! If only . But I can improve my playing knowledge and technique With practice and build it around my timing 👌🏻. Some might build the other way where there playing and technique is good and then work to improve timing . I kinda wish maybe my playing and technique was better and then work on time and tempo’s , but the grass is always greener I guess ."

Trust me, having a natural good sense of time is a gift, so be thankful, and all the other stuff comes with hard work.

Like Reply

timmdrum

Silver Member
Versatility- I've played in metal, reggae, and beach music bands (for those outside the Carolinas and SE Virginia, it's a sorta whitewashed version of classic r&b that's become a regional thing; I tolerated the Pat Boone vibe by injecting as much of its r&b roots into it as I could), and everything in between.

Groove and playing for the song- this is what I attest to not having ever lost getting a gig I've auditioned for (not that they've been for any major acts), based on talent/playing. There have been 3 I didn't get- 2 because a drummer thought to be leaving ended up not needing to, and 1 because they thought I lived too far away to reasonably make rehearsals. 🤷‍♂️

I think I use ghost notes a little more than most, and not just in the usual places, but still tastefully. I like the bit of spice without overpowering the main ingredient. 😁

Yamaha Rider

I hope my primary strength is understatement. I never aim to make a spectacle of myself. My goal is always to be the organizing principle behind the music. My fills and embellishments conform to that mission. That doesn't mean my playing is bland. My approach is purpose-driven, not ostentatious. Drums aren't a melodic or a lead instrument; they're a rhythmic and a nurturing one. I keep them in the category in which they belong.
You also have a skill for writing about drumming. Or maybe writing in general. Always articulate, classy and inspiring stuff.
Literary education?

Yamaha Rider

Oddly sometimes I feel that my strongest quality has held me back in a way me back. What I mean is I am very versatile in terms of styles I can play. I've done a crazy amount of variety of playing situations, here's a few that come to mind: punk rock, marching band, orchestra, musical theater, big band jazz, services at churches, Jewish synagogues, Budist temples, Thai/Chinese event band, Peruvian folkloric, salsa, cumbia, tejano, regional Mexican, flamenco, performances with a raper and DJ, funk, country and western, straight ahead jazz combo, top 40 cover bands, cruise ship lounge act. I don't think I ever played in a metal band, but I'd be game under the right circumstances. So yeah, that's a lot of musical styles, and I took all of those styles very seriously and did my "homework" and have enjoyed it very much! I love learning new things, and I am a naturally curious person. But I can't but think if I had just focused on a style or two, I could've been maybe a "master" rather than a "jack of all trades, master of none"
Hal Blaine will tell you - you'll never get anywhere in life playing different genres. Fact.
Not sure if he ever played with a "raper", mind. Prison gig, presumably? ☺

C.M. Jones

You also have a skill for writing about drumming. Or maybe writing in general. Always articulate, classy and inspiring stuff.
Literary education?
Much appreciated. Bachelor's in English, Master's in Writing. I almost majored in music but decided to take a different route with formal education. After years of private drum lessons, I didn't see much of a payoff to be derived from further theoretical concentration on percussion.

Benthedrummer

This is an interesting question. I’ve never really thought about what my strengths are as a drummer. I guess I have pretty good dynamic control and ability to play quietly/ at an appropriate volume. The only compliments I’ve ever gotten from other musicians were mostly about being dependable and meticulous about memorizing songs and stuff. That’s more of a personality trait than a drumming skill though.
Every high end professional drummer always highlight the need for good dynamics........I reckon that separates a beat from a groove.

I've tried to emulate the groove to Billie Jean, never works.

Benthedrummer

I can learn music very quickly. That's what I've been told.

Personally, I feel like my hands are my greatest asset....got shitty feet, but good hands. So any sort of fill or lick that is hands only, I feel like I'm pretty strong at it.
Jim Chapin once commented on his own playing and said he had good hands but hated his feet.

I'm working like a demon to get my feet up to a better standard.

We'll both get there froggy!

tfgretsch

Over50drumguy said: "I wish ! If only . But I can improve my playing knowledge and technique With practice and build it around my timing 👌🏻. Some might build the other way where there playing and technique is good and then work to improve timing . I kinda wish maybe my playing and technique was better and then work on time and tempo’s , but the grass is always greener I guess ."

Trust me, having a natural good sense of time is a gift, so be thankful, and all the other stuff comes with hard work.

Like Reply
Your right paul,It aint worth a dime if you cant play the time !! but its nice to have alot of pocket change as well !!

Benthedrummer

Versatility- I've played in metal, reggae, and beach music bands (for those outside the Carolinas and SE Virginia, it's a sorta whitewashed version of classic r&b that's become a regional thing; I tolerated the Pat Boone vibe by injecting as much of its r&b roots into it as I could), and everything in between.

Groove and playing for the song- this is what I attest to not having ever lost getting a gig I've auditioned for (not that they've been for any major acts), based on talent/playing. There have been 3 I didn't get- 2 because a drummer thought to be leaving ended up not needing to, and 1 because they thought I lived too far away to reasonably make rehearsals. 🤷‍♂️

I think I use ghost notes a little more than most, and not just in the usual places, but still tastefully. I like the bit of spice without overpowering the main ingredient. 😁
I'd have to say my ghost noting is my current work in progress.

Really good to know you are proud of them.

They are NOT easy to play well......good stuff!!