What is YOUR strongest quality or skill-set on the kit?

Benthedrummer

Hi everyone.

We often compare ourselves to big name drummers who are meticulous in their craft which can either make us strive harder or bring us down!

Given these difficult times I'd like to get a positive perspective of YOUR OWN strengths on the kit.

I'm talking about actual playing here.

We all have something good about our playing and it would make a great mood booster.

So for me, my greatest quality or skill-set is my hi-hat accents and expression on the hi-hats.

I have been complimented on my hi-hat work before.

What's yours?

Benthedrummer

Only compliment I've ever really received is that I didn't play too loud, like the previous guy.

From my own perspective and as long time guitar player, I try to be drummer I wanted to play with. This in no way means playing simple, just appropriate.
"I try to be a drummer I want to play with".

That is probably the single best summation of a drummers' goal I've ever heard.

I have NEVER considered that before.

Absolutely brilliant stuff.

specgrade

Your tuning abilities?

I'm envious 😭
Years of practice. When I was starting to play drums in the early 1980's I would take the heads off and clean my drums weekly. I tuned them up and down trying to achieve a sound I heard in my head. Now it is second nature. I like a low sound without sounding like cardboard and the band I was in really liked it. People who hear them like it and most importantly...I like it. Thank you for the compliment.

yammyfan

I believe I have most of the things that a working drummer needs (feel, good time keeping etc.) but my development has been hampered by the fact that I have had zero formal instruction and I can't read music particularly well. It doesn't help that I logged no more than a couple of dozen hours behind the drum kit between 1987 and 2014.

Still, I've put in hundreds of hours of work since then and it has really paid off. The joy is there, that's for sure.

C.M. Jones

I hope my primary strength is understatement. I never aim to make a spectacle of myself. My goal is always to be the organizing principle behind the music. My fills and embellishments conform to that mission. That doesn't mean my playing is bland. My approach is purpose-driven, not ostentatious. Drums aren't a melodic or a lead instrument; they're a rhythmic and a nurturing one. I keep them in the category in which they belong.

Coming from a musical family that all started with church and school choir as young children and all played at least two instruments through school and then college along with performing and playing with others often and my time in marching bands .... I’d say it’s my sense of time . As far back as I can remember I’ve always had a good sense of time , and distances for that matter. . It’s like a weird math thing in my head if that makes sense . Whatever I lack in my playing ability I’d say I make up for with my internal clock .

mikyok

Platinum Member
I try to do my job well enough not to be noticed, isn't that what all rhythm sections should aim for so the egos can show off and take all the glory?

From a personal point of view it's hand technique but who notices that :D

Paul Blood

Oddly sometimes I feel that my strongest quality has held me back in a way me back. What I mean is I am very versatile in terms of styles I can play. I've done a crazy amount of variety of playing situations, here's a few that come to mind: punk rock, marching band, orchestra, musical theater, big band jazz, services at churches, Jewish synagogues, Budist temples, Thai/Chinese event band, Peruvian folkloric, salsa, cumbia, tejano, regional Mexican, flamenco, performances with a rapper and DJ, funk, country and western, straight ahead jazz combo, top 40 cover bands, cruise ship lounge act. I don't think I ever played in a metal band, but I'd be game under the right circumstances. So yeah, that's a lot of musical styles, and I took all of those styles very seriously and did my "homework" and have enjoyed it very much! I love learning new things, and I am a naturally curious person. But I can't but think if I had just focused on a style or two, I could've been maybe a "master" rather than a "jack of all trades, master of none"

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I like to think my best asset is that I'd rather accompany than be a "great" drummer. I like listening to the others and nudging them along. I can hear where they are trying to go. I'm in the perfect position to help them get there.

My worst asset is when the others stop and I have to solo. Trading 4's and 8's I love, but I don't think like a stand alone soloist. So when it comes time to solo, I get social anxiety and really want to get out of it ASAP. You would think OK great I get all the attention here but no it's exactly the opposite.

Not comfortable with that kind of attention. Which seems nuts to me, I'm a drummer for Pete's sake, but there it is.

I envy people who thrive on spotlight. I do the opposite and I don't know how to correct it.

Accompanying and being part of a team...on a mission....that's where my strengths are.

Last edited:

Benthedrummer

Coming from a musical family that all started with church and school choir as young children and all played at least two instruments through school and then college along with performing and playing with others often and my time in marching bands .... I’d say it’s my sense of time . As far back as I can remember I’ve always had a good sense of time , and distances for that matter. . It’s like a weird math thing in my head if that makes sense . Whatever I lack in my playing ability I’d say I make up for with my internal clock .
A sense of time eh?

You've got the drummer's job sorted 100%

Benthedrummer

I try to do my job well enough not to be noticed, isn't that what all rhythm sections should aim for so the egos can show off and take all the glory?

From a personal point of view it's hand technique but who notices that :D
Who notices hand technique?

Your band mates and the audience.......that's why you are still in the game making people dance.

Benthedrummer

Oddly sometimes I feel that my strongest quality has held me back in a way me back. What I mean is I am very versatile in terms of styles I can play. I've done a crazy amount of variety of playing situations, here's a few that come to mind: punk rock, marching band, orchestra, musical theater, big band jazz, services at churches, Jewish synagogues, Budist temples, Thai/Chinese event band, Peruvian folkloric, salsa, cumbia, tejano, regional Mexican, flamenco, performances with a raper and DJ, funk, country and western, straight ahead jazz combo, top 40 cover bands, cruise ship lounge act. I don't think I ever played in a metal band, but I'd be game under the right circumstances. So yeah, that's a lot of musical styles, and I took all of those styles very seriously and did my "homework" and have enjoyed it very much! I love learning new things, and I am a naturally curious person. But I can't but think if I had just focused on a style or two, I could've been maybe a "master" rather than a "jack of all trades, master of none"
Your musical variety is seriously impressive.

You have some hardcore extended drummin' vocabulary.

Blimey!

Benthedrummer

I like to think my best asset is that I'd rather accompany than be a "great" drummer. I like listening to the others and nudging them along. I can hear where they are trying to go. I'm in the perfect position to help them get there.

My worst asset is when the others stop and I have to solo. Trading 4's and 8's I love, but I don't think like a stand alone soloist. So when it comes time to solo, I get social anxiety and really want to get out of it ASAP. You would think OK great I get all the attention here but no it's exactly the opposite.

Not comfortable with that kind of attention. Which seems nuts to me, I'm a drummer for Pete's sake, but there it is.

I envy people who thrive on spotlight. I do the opposite and I don't know how to correct it.

Accompanying and being part of a team...on a mission....that's where my strengths are.
It sounds like you have a great sense of situational awareness onstage.

Benthedrummer

Everyone who's asked me to be in a band has said my time is spot on and I pay attention to detail and know what not to do. I wish I agreed with them, but not complaining either.
You get ASKED to be in a band?

That's a pretty big strong quality right there!!

I've gotta beg and grovel, or form my own.