What is your greatest drum related success?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Well, the bands I was in never got signed to a label, or became big and famous, or even made any money, but:

I've played in from of record company executives from pretty much every record label that existed at the time.

I played at all the big-name clubs in LA. Though being in the same backroom where Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin once hung out, and where Nixxi Sixx banged groupies seems kind of cool until you realize no one's ever cleaned that backstage room. eww...

I've heard myself on the radio

I've sold albums all over the world, from Brazil to Russia, and more.

OK, so Sharon Osbourne didn't let us play Ozzfest, but she once let us be backstage at Ozzfest. lol

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Toured the world multiple times with different original bands. 3 continents over 20 countries.
Had a tour of Eastern Europe postponed by Covid, looks like that might not happen until 2022.

Otto

Platinum Member
Wow guys!

Greatest amount of meaning I have seen on the internet for some time!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
After ten years of no drums, I auditioned for an open slot at my church. I’d been there less than a year, but they gave me a tape of tunes and, just like when I was 10 years old, I practiced to them on a pad. Within two years I’d be sitting in with the Winans, Phil Driscoll and Phil Keaggy when they’d come to town. Many church-touring artists used the musicians available at the church they performed at and I always volunteered if I could.

I got to sit in with Cindy Morgan one time several years ago. It was really cool.

Pre-COVID, I worked my butt off playing drums outside of my day job and I was able to pay a car off 1.5 years early on a 3-year loan. Also, I've managed to wiggle my way in with a terrific local country artist who is a fantastic songwriter...the best I've ever played with. It's a lot of work, but we have a great time.

roncadillac

I've recorded many things over the years with a number of projects and of severely varying overall sound 'quality'. Certain 'moments' I am very proud of and stand out to me even today.

One particular album from one band I was in is a favorite of mine. I joined the band after their first album, we were at a high point in our performance and abilities, and put together a really friggin' solid sophomore album (after a fun lo fi EP we did together). I love it. It's not perfect, but I love it.

Earlier in my 'years' I was in a really cool Mars Volta style prog band. We ended up falling apart due to ego's and substance issues with some members BUT in a short amount of time we played some very meaningful shows, made some great memories, and developed a following that still begs us to play one last show some 10+ years later and with us all now living in different parts of the country.

If I do nothing else with music those are fine with me.

Mr Farkle

For me it’s still getting to be a drummer AND a world famous rodent at the same time. Every time I think back on it I think about the odds. Out of all the drummers in the world, there’s only a handful that have done it. So for me to be in the right place at the right time for that one was like having the planets all line up on a Tuesday at 9:47pm.

I don’t discount anything else I’ve gotten to do and with who, but that was like a “wow” moment. It must be good luck too, because even as we’re all furloughed from the company because of this pandemic, the company hasn’t let me go as they’ve let so many others (knock on wood).
I wondered what you did at the park! Awesome.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Being asked to fill in last minute for a buddy's band having never heard his music before.
He saw me play a lot of gigs & trusted me enough to know I'd follow his cues & serve the songs.

It was a great night!

I still put that as my #1 drumming compliment.

Superman

Gold Member
Off topic.... but I can better tell you about my greatest failure. I was friends with a couple guys in a local band. Their drummer left and I was asked to drum in the new lineup. They wanted a drummer who played double pedal and I only play single pedal. They offered to loan me a double pedal and practice their songs. I turned them down.

They went on to have a good amount of success. They toured the world...were on MTV. One of their songs was featured on Guitar Hero. My drumming career went no where.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I was Elvis drummer-Thank you very much. Well he was actually an impersonator- But I'm cool with that since I was impersonating a drummer LOL. Oh and I did play a gig with Wycliff Gordon-though I'm like the Wizard of Oz the man behind the curtain.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 8.54.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 8.54.15 AM.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 8.58.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 8.58.15 AM.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 5

Old PIT Guy

Being able to go to PIT when it was affordable and when there were so many great players and teachers there. So many great people with so little BS. During my time there the single best experience, which I suppose is a form of success, was playing with Rocco Prestia on the main stage. I've never played with a bass player that made playing music feel like that. That big cushion of 16th notes just pulls you along. I don't think I could've sounded bad playing with him if I'd tried. A special memory for sure.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Being able to go to PIT when it was affordable and when there were so many great players and teachers there. So many great people with so little BS. During my time there the single best experience, which I suppose is a form of success, was playing with Rocco Prestia on the main stage. I've never played with a bass player that made playing music feel like that. That big cushion of 16th notes just pulls you along. I don't think I could've sounded bad playing with him if I'd tried. A special memory for sure.

Yeah, we spend our early playing years struggling along with other doofuses, then when we get good enough to play with pros, we realize that the pros help us sound better lol

bigbang

Pioneer Member
I don’t talk a lot ... me or otherwise.
I’m guessing I’ve done at least 300 recording sessions.... demos , full length , assorted stuff ...
I’ve had maybe 12 charted recordings inside 100 , highest was 8 on country charts .I’ve also toured with Denny Doherty... which was a huge deal for me.

yammyfan

that is how I felt when playing at CBGB's...I was on the same stage that legends feet had touched...the same stage that legends had urinated on, or thrown up on...I even used the legendary mens bathroom!!
It's a trip, huh?

One of my highlights was playing a club that had hosted Radiohead, U2, The Commitments, B.B. King, R.E.M, James Brown, Tina Turner, Bo Diddley and many more. The irony is that I am a much better drummer now than I was back then.