What is your greatest drum related success?

Jasta 11

We all get compliments and they are always appreciated but one instance from a long time ago always stands out for me. A drumming friend broke a finger and needed me to sit in at an upcoming gig. I didn't know the rest of the band but that didn't matter. I went to rehearsal at the guitar players house with him and we played a few songs. During one of the songs, the guitar players father came down to the basement where we were and sat on the stairs to watch. After the song he got up, told the band " boy, dont lose this guy. That was amazing etc. ( It was only the song Bad Company, not like I just nailed a Dream Theater tune). Anyway the band was stunned, the father hated the band and never one showed interest until that moment. The compliment itself was nice but the fact that he didn't know I was playing and not their usual drummer meant a lot to me. They sat there a while, we played a little more and we left. It was a little awkward i front of my friend when they said he never comes down and the reason was because of me. Still it felt great. BTW, they never had me back and postponed their gig.

Al Strange

I think recording my band’s debut album at John Sykes’ Blackpool studio and signing a recording contract soon afterwards was a biggy at the time (1997). Seeing Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake gold discs adorning the wall and knowing that Cozy Powell (RIP), Carmine Appice, Tony Franklin and Ray Gillen (RIP) had all recorded there with John was inspiring to a 25 yr old rivet head like me! ?

jimb

After 40 years playing bass joining my first "proper" band last year after two years of practise. I say proper cause I had had a go with a couple of musicians during the two years but I was woefully lacking...now people say things like..."nice groove man"....to me that sounds like winning the lottery.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I think recording my band’s debut album at John Sykes’ Blackpool studio and signing a recording contract soon afterwards was a biggy at the time (1997). Seeing Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake gold discs adorning the wall and knowing that Cozy Powell (RIP), Carmine Appice, Tony Franklin and Ray Gillen (RIP) had all recorded there with John was inspiring to a 25 yr old rivet head like me! ?

that is how I felt when playing at CBGB's...I was on the same stage that legends feet had touched...the same stage that legends had urinated on, or thrown up on...I even used the legendary mens bathroom!!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

MY GOD. That is an accomplishment!
(Seriously, I couldn't even bring myself to walk in there.)

yep...I had been at the place for roughly 6 hours after a 3 hour drive in, and could not hold it anymore. I was fearing breathing in Hepatitis, The Clap, Herpes, Scurvy and the Bubonic Plague...

lefty2

Platinum Member
Well 3 things come to mind. #1 I got to play drums on stage with Daryl Mansfield for the whole set, when he came to a conference at my church. #2 My band opened for Resurrection Band #3 my band opened for White Cross. This was in the 80s.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Joined up with a Zappa tribute band a few years ago, and then original Frank Zappa band vocalist Ike Willis joined our group for two weeks of dates! The experience went from tribute band, to feeling like I was in FZ’s band, overnight.

I did a kind of Vinnie lick during a tune one night, and managed to place it very well, I thought. And Ike looked back at me and gave me his “you naaasty” face. I felt like a very good drummer.

Ryan Culberson

Not sure if anyone here watches The Voice? Last season, Jim Ranger was runner up to the 15 year old kid who won. Got the call earlier this month to help put together Jim’s post-Voice band, with me on drums.

Starting the writing process for new original material in February. After the hot mess that was 2020, it’s nice to have something to look forward to! The band is high octane... should be a blast when we finally get to fire off proper.

Mike_b

The best thing I've ever done with drums was join a band called spilled yogurt. We were honored enough to have a guy in our band who is our cities hidden gem or local secret! His name was Jeremy and he was a savant meaning he could walk into a room and know right away what pitch the key was in. The cool thing about him is that he was a master of every instrument and indeed blind as well! Our respect for this guy is so high he eventually moved out to New York city to try to make it out there but he will be forever remembered fondly in this city!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
For me it’s still getting to be a drummer AND a world famous rodent at the same time. Every time I think back on it I think about the odds. Out of all the drummers in the world, there’s only a handful that have done it. So for me to be in the right place at the right time for that one was like having the planets all line up on a Tuesday at 9:47pm.

I don’t discount anything else I’ve gotten to do and with who, but that was like a “wow” moment. It must be good luck too, because even as we’re all furloughed from the company because of this pandemic, the company hasn’t let me go as they’ve let so many others (knock on wood).