What is your favorite toms configuration?

What's your favorite toms configuration?

• 1up/1down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2up/1down

• 1up/2down

• 2up/2down

• 3up/1down

• 3up/2down

• Monster (more than 3 up, more than 2 down)

• Minimalist (kick, snare, hats)

• Total voters
1 up 2 down.
I like my ride over the kick, and rack tom almost directly in front of me. No room for a second. 2 floors give rumble, plus a 5 piece sound.

I also like the 2 inch difference between toms, and use a 12/14/16.

3 up, 2 down.
Have used various configurations (3 up 1 down for years as well), but i find that with this amount of toms i can orchestrate the fills how i want them. I have 5 different sounds to match parts in a song. Well... more if you count the rockets toms as well :p

I assume you've seen this, but (and especially if you haven't) please enjoy this, again, for the first time. :)
It's one of my favorite music videos, ever.
Yeah that's the one, you got it (y), such a great groove, very inspirational!

I have been a one up, one down drummer for about 25 years. Before that it was two up, one down. Peace and goodwill.

I keep enjoying 2 up, 1 down. I think it may be my thing.

for rock, metal, prog, funk: 3 up, 1 down

set2 copy.jpg

for jazz: 1 up and 1 down

1955Ludstop copy.JPG

for country/rockabilly: just kick and snare...so 0(?)
IMG_2204.jpg

My kit came as a 2up 1 down, but I don’t like the sound of the 10 inch tom so I removed it and went with 1 up 1 down. When I can add a 13 inch mounted to the setup I’ll go back to 2 up 1 down.

2 up (with offset toms) and 2 down. I like having my ride closer to me, hence the offset tom configuration, and the 10-12-14-16 toms give me all the tonal range I need. I've been playing this configuration for at least 15 years now.

I'm a fan of the 2up/2 down configuration. My current setup is 12/13/14/16. I'm looking for a used gigging kit and I seem drawn to 3up/2 down kits. Looking to go 8/10/12/14/16 for the used kit.

3 up / 1 down. But the basic 2/1 always work great.
I tried the 2/2, and found it was too much real estate and a bit of a twist. Great configuration though.

I'm currently 3 up (10", 12" and 13"), I may try a 14" floor tom as well, just put a deposit on the Snare Tom 14"x10" but not sure too many options is a good option for many drummers...

Back