What is your current practice project?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I've been seeing this band play regularly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWX6vV5uqJM) and I would really like to get this guy's left hand blues groove.

Since my left hand technique is weak I'm practising playing a shuffle beat with just my left hand about 6 hours per week and intend to keep doing it, very slow and making sure my hand is relaxed. I will only increase speed if the hand remains relaxed. I reckon this project will take me months to achieve.

Then I started wondering what other people's current practice projects are. What are you working on, and why?

Right now I'm working on multi-pedal orchestrations. 2 kicks, 2 hi-hats, Lo and hi cowbell. It is nowhere near ready to use in a group setting but I am making some progress. I am starting to get the foot patterns down but incorporating the hands on top is the tricky part. I dedicate about an hour of my practice time each day to this. Btw, I think I might start to work on some shuffle patterns too. They are something I haven't really paid much attention to before.

Thanks Jason. I've seen a fair few bluesy bands but only seen a few guys play it. I guess Sydney's a long way from Texas ...

BTW I'd always just treated my djembe like a conga but your YouTube djembe lessons helped me understand the drum better and that knowledge has improved my djembe playing in a couple of my band's songs. Thanks for that! :)

Back