What is your abuse tom?

Duracell

We all know the feeling. You've been playing the same pattern for half an hour. You almost have it figured out. You tell yourself that you can walk away from the kit if you can keep the pattern up for 10 bars. You start playing...1....2....3...4...5..6.7.8.9.... and then you drop the ball. You shout out an expletive and hit a part of your drum set.

For me it's almost always the floor tom that gets the abuse. Which part of the drum do you hit out of frustration?

A

audiotech

None. If I screw up, it was me not my drum set.

Dennis

JPW

Silver Member
I try to never stop playing or practicing if something goes wrong and I try to forget it and the feeling I get from it as soon as possible. It's waste of time and in a live playing situation you can't start throwing stuff around unless you are Buddy Rich.

Duracell

I usually try to keep on playing as well. But I find that sometimes it's better to grab a glass of water and take a five minute walk. It's the great advantage practicing that nobody is going to care that you take a minute to compose yourself.

I'd never do such a thing as stop playing in a live situation.

Big Foot

Silver Member
When practicing that groove over-n-over that's just not sinking in, I usually do a quick double hit on the hats just to change gears and bring my focus back.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You are the guy we see on Craigslist and other sites with the dented drum heads and wonder if Remo has a flaw.

Duracell

I think the term " abuse " tom should be taken with a grain of salt ;). I don't hit it much harder then I would when making an accent. I've had the same heads on my drum for the last 6 months. Not a dent is sight yet.

Big Foot

Silver Member
I think I get what you're saying Duracell, I don't abuse my instrument in any way either (never broke a skin, or cymbal and only ever broke 1 stick).
It's more like a Slap-in-the-Face to get you grounded again or outta the cycle of repeating the same mistake.

bonzolead

Platinum Member
If i'm frustrated or want too get someone's attention my snare drum does the trick not my toms sometimes they feel around for holes in their chests.......... he he ha ha.

Bonzolead

Fuo

Platinum Member
I get what you're saying. I don't do it often, but when I do its usually a (sloppy) flam on the snare.

Travis22

I try not to beat on my kit when I'm angry...that's how I break stuff. :) But I do throw sticks...very bad habbit indeed, but at least my gear is safe...bass and guitar? Not so much.

Homeularis

Gold Member
I've hit myself in the head with the drumstick before. Not recommended though.
Theres not much give there.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I get where the OP is coming from. Usually I just play something familiar to remind myself that I can actually play, and then go back to working on the part that's causing me trouble. Maybe go take a break, or work on something else for awhile.

Often, it's better to slow down, break down the pattern to individual parts and build it back up. I'm not one of those folks who counts subdivisions in my head all the time. I tend to try and get one part grooving on autopilot and then add in the others. I'll count the subdivisions to get it figured out, but I don't want to do that while I'm playing with other people. Takes away from the concentration I should be applying to grooving and paying attention to what they're doing.

R

Royal

I try not to beat on my kit when I'm angry...that's how I break stuff. :) But I do throw sticks...very bad habbit indeed, but at least my gear is safe...bass and guitar? Not so much.
Yep.
I've thrown a stick or two in my time. Mainly at guitarists in rehearsals..
There was always a reason, but in truth throwing stuff at guitarist doesn't need a reason...it's fun.
Scares the hell out of them.

Love'em really...in case they read this.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I once threw a stick towards Mum (I missed, thankfully) when she interrupted me during a critical moment of practice about 35 years ago. Too many hormones going on, I guess.

I did that once lol