What is you favorite head combination for your 26" bass drum?

Road Bull

Silver Member
So I have a new Ludwig kit with a 26"x14" kick on order and can hardly wait for it to show up. I have, up until now only had 22"x16" bass drums. I have been using Evans EMAD 2s running with no foam ring and nothing else in the drum.

So what are you using? Port or no port? Any muffling? And favorite tuning?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TheHeelDrummer

Remo Coated emp on batter, Coated Ludwig Logo on front.

Tune it up higher than I expected with felt strips.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I play a 24" but i figure the idea is the same when you move into these larger sizes.

I use a coated PS3 on the batter side with an Aquarian vintage coated with a felt strip. Tune it up nice and tight. It just wars my heart every time I give it a little tap with the pedal and I get this delightful, low rumble put of it.

If you like that rock sound that the Emads give you then that might be the ticket. The only difference with these larger drums is that you're going to tune up a little higher than you would with a smaller drum.

Bull

Gold Member
I got my first 26" about three years ago and I am still tone chasing. My favorite,so far,is a coated PS4 batter and a smooth white Ambassador reso. I use a felt strip on the reso with no port. Sounds great.

Unfortunately,I gave in and ported my main gigging kit. It was just too much of a curve ball for the house engineers. I'm playing multi-band original shows and that means no sound check. It's just easier to port it.
On that kit,I'm currently using a coated Superkick1 and a Regulator with a 4" port. I also have small square of foam placed inside. It doesn't touch the head. It absorbs that annoying dribbling basketball frequency. It sounds good, in front of the drum, but i don't like the sound from behind the kit. I am going to keep searching.

Welcome to the wonderful world of $50 kickdrum heads!

Road Bull

Silver Member
I got my first 26" about three years ago and I am still tone chasing. My favorite,so far,is a coated PS4 batter and a smooth white Ambassador reso. I use a felt strip on the reso with no port. Sounds great.

Unfortunately,I gave in and ported my main gigging kit. It was just too much of a curve ball for the house engineers. I'm playing multi-band original shows and that means no sound check. It's just easier to port it.
On that kit,I'm currently using a coated Superkick1 and a Regulator with a 4" port. I also have small square of foam placed inside. It doesn't touch the head. It absorbs that annoying dribbling basketball frequency. It sounds good, in front of the drum, but i don't like the sound from behind the kit. I am going to keep searching.

The price of those heads makes experimentation with different heads, and porting vs. non-porting and so on a bit of a pain.

I have been running EMAD bass batters without foam rings. I might try the whole full-on John Bonham Emperor/ Ambassador w/ felt strips. I am sort of interested in old school head combo vs new school might sound. In other words, how the Remo Emperor / Ambassador with felt compares to Something like an Evans EQ3 or Remo equivalent stack up to each other. I am also tempted to go with a small port to avoid sound guy drama. Plus, I DO like a thunderous attack. I think I will also run some Remo Flamslams for my double pedal.

Last edited:

Road Bull

Silver Member

So I checked out a few youtube clips of Remo Powerstroke 4s. They sound pretty cool. I would like to hear a comparison between the PS4 and lets say, an Emperor with the felt strip.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Coated Ambassador front & back.
3x4" CA patch gaff taped to batter head. 1" Polyfoam at bottom of shell, doesn't touch the heads, but stops the sound from bouncing around.

No mic hole on a 14x26. I don't use one for my 16x26, and only a 4" on the 18 & 20" depth.

I put a coated heavy Ludwig batter, & heavy smooth white NO MUFFLE RING VERSION on the new 18x26. Side by side, that head combo sounds almost exactly the same as the Remo CA's.

Have fun!!