What is this rhythm?

gretschandy

Sounds like 10/8 to me! Trick to being ready to play that kind of stuff... be solid at counting as you play (to keep track of where you are) and workout how to divide a bar to create a musical phrase!

spelman

It's in 10/8.

You just have to tap along eight notes , hopefully after awhile you'll hear where it "turns around". It's a practice thing , I guess.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
It's in 10/8.

You just have to tap along eight notes , hopefully after awhile you'll hear where it "turns around". It's a practice thing , I guess.
I go for 10/8 too, but that's just how I'm hearing it as a complete repeating phrase. Others may hear differently in terms of "measures", & that's cool too. There's no hard rule on this stuff.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
It's possible to see it in 10/8 (like 4/4 can be seen as 8/8), but in this case it makes more sense to me to see it as 5/4.

So here it is written in 5/4:

Attachments

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
The only trick to this is to learn by listening.
Listening to 4/4 makes you able to understand 4/4 very well, so start listening to music that's known to be in odd meters.
Try listening to Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra or Weather Report, just to give a few leads.
And here's the best software I know of, to help transcribe and understand musical structures:
Transcribe!

Assignment for next week: You know, you know by Mahavishnu Orchestra.
Not too difficult but very good for your ears ;-)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible to see it in 10/8 (like 4/4 can be seen as 8/8), but in this case it makes more sense to me to see it as 5/4.

So here it is written in 5/4:
I'm completely with you Alain. I'm getting it in 5/4 too, but I'm finding the 1 easier in 10/8. I guess that's how this all rolls, & it's all good to me, so long as I know where I'm at in the structure, I'm a happy player :) That said, I completely defer to your skills in this field. 99% of the stuff I do requires zero thought in terms of meter structure. I'm a simple soul, so my approach is always to find the easiest path for me.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
I'm getting it in 5/4 too, but I'm finding the 1 easier in 10/8. I guess that's how this all rolls, & it's all good to me, so long as I know where I'm at in the structure, I'm a happy player :)
You're perfectly right Andy, the most important thing is to know where you are in the music, and I find it very much interesting to always see things under different lights.
Sometimes we have to communicate with other musicians, so to know what is common practice (that may vary) is also very much important.