WHAT IS THIS PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT GINGER BAKER USES? PLEASE HELP

Craig1112

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on what the name of this thing is?

It look a bit like a Roto Tom without a drum head.

I have never seen any clips of Ginger actually using it however he has had it as part of his setup for years however it has been displayed in different positions around his drum kit ( clips on you tube include Ginger Baker masterclass and the Cream reunion gigs....especially his amazing drum solo called Toad).

He positions this thing next to his cowbells and under his ride, crash and china to his right in the cream reunion clips.

It looks like it falls into the Latin Percussion area but I cant find one anywhere on the internet so can someone please help me?

Cheers

It's probanly a Spoxe, basically a Roto-Tom frame without the head. Terry Bozzio pioneered those in the '80s, I think he even had two set-up like hats.

Thanks man. I cant tell you how long this has been annoying me for. Is there somewhere in particular when I can get one? I would love to basically replicate the percussion set up that Ginger uses

You have made a Scotsman a very happy man today my friend. I just found a set of vintage Remo spoxe which is getting purchased today! this includes the 6 inch one I really want

Cool, enjoy!

Are Spoxe and Roto Toms the same frame? Rotos have a bearing edge. Do Spoxe?

I believe they are identical.
Good to know. I want to take 2 and build a snare. If I can use the frames, a top and a bottom, surely I can have a steel shell built between them. It's a welding/cutting project idea. I really need to start running out of ideas.

Good to know. I want to take 2 and build a snare. If I can use the frames, a top and a bottom, surely I can have a steel shell built between them. It's a welding/cutting project idea. I really need to start running out of ideas.

They made roto-snares back in the 80's/90's. One was made by a company called something like Firche, and I think Pearl made one too.

They made roto-snares back in the 80's/90's. One was made by a company called something like Firche, and I think Pearl made one too.
I've seen single headed ones. What I want to do is take 2 frames of the same size, one for batter and one for reso, and using a piece of sheet steel weld a shell between the two frames. I can then attach lugs, throwoff and butt plate.

I dont care about the twisting tunability. Just that the frames have bearing edges.

That Vari-pitch stuff Pearl made was goofy.

You could use the large spoxe as bicycle rims. As you ride, you can play a beat on the rims.o_O

Use a spoxe as a car steering wheel. Practice while you drive.:oops:
YUP! Just take a curved jaw vice grip, clamp a stick to the bike fork with it so it just contacts the spokes of the spoxe. You could be the coolest kid in town!

I have a spoxe.

Well, it was a roto-tom that was somehow damaged (I don't even recall how it came into my possession). So I took what was left of it apart and got the spoxe from it.

It has a nice bell like sound. I used it on one recording, though never live.

OK, so I guess it's not that useful after all, but I still have it somewhere.

Back