What is this beat called?


Platinum Member
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been given a name. I'm talking about a rock groove with snare on 2 and rack tom on 4 and the & of 4. Think La Bamba by Los Lobos.

This gets used a lot, but I don't think I've ever heard it get a name. Anyone?


Platinum Member
If I'm charting out a tune I notate it as a tumbao. It's really just the first half of a simple conga tumbao, but that's how I'll remember what to do.


Platinum Member
I’ve seen it called Rock Mambo in a few books, as opposed to the traditional mambo like the Richie Valens version of La Bamba.