What Is The Deal With These Silly Reading/Technique Threads?

I think that would be a great idea for a thread. "Let's See A Pic Of Your Hair Today!"

I would happily comply but I'm having trouble with Photobucket lately. The upload button doesn't work anymore, I don't know why.
Didn't we already have one of these threads?

More qotes from the great one....

BR - I think it's a fallacy that the harder you practice the better you get. You only get better by playing. You could sit around in a room, in a base-ment with a set of drums all day long and practice rudiments, and try to develop speed, but until you start playing with a band, you can't learn technique, you can't learn taste, you can't learn how to play with a band and for a band until you actually play. So, practice, particularly after you've attained a job, any kind of job, like playing with a four piece band, that's ...... an opportunity to develop. And practice, besides that, is boring. You know, I know teachers who tell their students to practice four hours a day, eight hours a day. If you can't accomplish what you want in an hour, you 're not gonna get it in four days.

Last edited:
What point are you trying to make by putting up all these Buddy Rich quotes? Sorry, but I'm not getting it.

More qotes from the great one....

BR - I think it's a fallacy that the harder you practice the better you get. You only get better by playing. You could sit around in a room, in a base-ment with a set of drums all day long and practice rudiments, and try to develop speed, but until you start playing with a band, you can't learn technique, you can't learn taste, you can't learn how to play with a band and for a band until you actually play. So, practice, particularly after you've attained a job, any kind of job, like playing with a four piece band, that's ...... an opportunity to develop. And practice, besides that, is boring. You know, I know teachers who tell their students to practice four hours a day, eight hours a day. If you can't accomplish what you want in an hour, you 're not gonna get it in four days.

Not that I want to open yet another can of BR worms, but how much of that am I expected to swallow just because he was a great player?

A symphony musician once said that all musicians copy, that there are no original musicians because everything that will ever be played has been played before. What do you think about that statement?

BR - I don't think so. Idon's think anybody ever played like Charlie Parker. I don's think anybody ever played like Lester Young. I don't thint anybody ever played like Coleman Hawkins or Dizzy Gillespie or Miles Davis ... or Art Tatum .. - or Charlie Christian. I could go back and name a thousand musicians who were the total creators, and what we're hearing today is an upshoot of what they originated. So, the symphony musician who said that has no idea of what he's talking about. If he's a true symphony artist, he knows better than that because he knows that the only truly creative musician is the jazz musician. Because after he gets done with all the classical stuff he learns In school, he then has to develop into a jazz player and that takes originality, and creativity. So. any symphony musician who would make a statement like that, is in sad neglect of a musical education.

What point are you trying to make by putting up all these Buddy Rich quotes? Sorry, but I'm not getting it.

It should be obvious....why would anyone listen to a bunch of nobody's when they have Buddy to learn from. Just about everything he says is totally opposite than what I'm hearing here.

A symphony musician once said that all musicians copy, that there are no original musicians because everything that will ever be played has been played before. What do you think about that statement?

BR - I don't think so. Idon's think anybody ever played like Charlie Parker. I don's think anybody ever played like Lester Young. I don't thint anybody ever played like Coleman Hawkins or Dizzy Gillespie or Miles Davis ... or Art Tatum .. - or Charlie Christian. I could go back and name a thousand musicians who were the total creators, and what we're hearing today is an upshoot of what they originated. So, the symphony musician who said that has no idea of what he's talking about. If he's a true symphony artist, he knows better than that because he knows that the only truly creative musician is the jazz musician. Because after he gets done with all the classical stuff he learns In school, he then has to develop into a jazz player and that takes originality, and creativity. So. any symphony musician who would make a statement like that, is in sad neglect of a musical education.

Enough already.

It's becoming a pain in the arse. Tell me what YOU think.....what are YOUR experiences, what have YOU learned?

You started this, now back it up with something of your own. Buddy said a lot of things that don't wash with me, yet you're clinging to him like dog shit to a shoe.

My three year old could cut and paste random quotes. What's the chance of getting back on topic?

Buddy said a lot of insane things to the press that made completely no sense. The fact that you believe it all word to word is some of the most sad and most funny stuff if read here in a LONG time....thanks for the laugh!

Buddy was well known for putting people on and sending the naive into a tail spin with his rants and left field comments about music, musicians, fellow drummers and how the gullible beginners/ devoted worshipers would soak it all up without question. Part of derailing any of the up and coming prospective drumming competition in most cases at the time I suspect......seems to be still having the intended effect today :}

Of course this is coming from a "unknown" who met Buddy, heard him play several times, and even later worked with one of his sidemen who later went on to become one of my old bandleaders in a group I performed with.

Even beyond the grave I think the joke is on you Stickit courtesy the sly Mr. Rich. Good luck to you! :}

Enough already with the Buddy "put on" quotes.......

Well, I agree with his anology on being creative. Contrary to popular belief, I have no problem with anyone learning to read music or doing stick ticks or competing in the WDF. What do you care what I think anyway? I'm just a weekend warrior trying to play the best that I can. It's all good, we are all drummers with different opinions on what is important to each of us.
For me, learning to read music would be a waste of time, the same as learning a language I would never use.
Do what you feel will be a benifit for you, but don't preach to all that this is the best and only way, it's not. Go ask any drummer who has made a living or become famous without any formal training.

I don't think that I ever saw BR answer a question with a sincere answer.
His answer was always somewhat sarcastic.
There was some truth in there somewhere, but you never knew where the truth began and the sarcasm ended.

Well, I agree with his anology on being creative. Contrary to popular belief, I have no problem with anyone learning to read music or doing stick ticks or competing in the WDF. What do you care what I think anyway? I'm just a weekend warrior trying to play the best that I can. It's all good, we are all drummers with different opinions on what is important to each of us.
For me, learning to read music would be a waste of time, the same as learning a language I would never use.
Do what you feel will be a benifit for you, but don't preach to all that this is the best and only way, it's not. Go ask any drummer who has made a living or become famous without any formal training.

+ 2 to all the centenarians who smoke.

I'm just a weekend warrior trying to play the best that I can. It's all good, we are all drummers with different opinions on what is important to each of us.

It's just occured to me that the topic of this thread does in no way concern you, does it? There are metal drumming threads up here all the time. I don't go to them, much less post on them, because the topics of those threads do not concern me. I know nothing about metal drumming.

And you know nothing about reading music, and that's fine! I'm fine with not knowing how to play metal drums. But if reading music does not concern you then why do you keep even reading this thread? You've made it clear that learning music for you would be a waste of your time, and yet you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time putting posts up on a thread whose topic does not concern you.

Makes no sense.

Godwin's law on this board:

"As an online discussion grows longer on DrummerWorld, the probability of an argument involving Buddy Rich and what he may or may not have said approaches 1. Whether you agree with the stament(s) or not the discussion is over."

Godwin's law on this board:

"As an online discussion grows longer on DrummerWorld, the probability of an argument involving Buddy Rich and what he may or may not have said approaches 1. Either if you agree with the stament(s) or not the discussion is over."

Hah!

But Godwin's Law isn't really a good analogy. Buddy Rich is the true virtuoso of the drum kit and so it's only natural that his figure is always looming over threads such as these.

Although I'm sure that you'd have little problem finding musicians who worked for Buddy Rich who would gladly compare him to Adolph Hitler.

Hah!

But Godwin's Law isn't really a good analogy. Buddy Rich is the true virtuoso of the drum kit and so it's only natural that his figure is always looming over threads such as these.

Although I'm sure that you'd have little problem finding musicians who worked for Buddy Rich who would gladly compare him to Adolph Hitler.

Heh, yes, well I think my point was about the propability and discussions ending rather than him being anything. Doesn't matter what anybody thinks. It's a dead horse. =P

Isn't it interesting though, when a person needs to fortify his own beliefs he has to dig that one quote from one great drummer and hold to it like it was the bible. Even if there was contradicting material from equally good drummers available. It's that exact quote from that exact drummer that's the most important one. He clearly is right because he is the One. He has seen the light! Oh sorry... wrong meeting...

I think that Hitler probably studied BR to see how being a dictator was done! ;)

Back