What is the best and most versatile Sabian HH ride?

blasterbeat

When the glorious day comes to be able to afford a new ride I'm leaning towards Sabian HH. A ride that is warm and dark and can do almost anything . Good crash capability is a plus too. All opinions are welcome!

zepplin92

I played a HH 21 inch vintage ride i think it was called you should check it out could be what your looking for, i really liked it. Good luck on your search hope this helps.

Ekim

Silver Member
I liked the HH 20" Duo Ride when a guy I knew played one. It would seem to meet your criteria.

D

DamoSyzygy

All HH's are slightly different - even when comparing the same model.

The best one is one that youll HAVE to go listen to with your own ears.

aboylikedave

When the glorious day comes to be able to afford a new ride I'm leaning towards Sabian HH. A ride that is warm and dark and can do almost anything . Good crash capability is a plus too. All opinions are welcome!
Used to have an HH Classic Medium. Superb crash and bell, but I would say that it wasn't dark enough for me. The Sabian website soundfile has it pretty accurately.

A

audiotech

All HH's are slightly different - even when comparing the same model.

The best one is one that youll HAVE to go listen to with your own ears.

This statement is absolutely on the button. I'm buying Sabian HH cymbals now and each cymbal with the exact same model sounds a bit different. You must listen to them before buying. I would refrain from Internet and catalog sales. I had my local Five Star drum shop order me an HH 17" Medium Thin because they didn't have one in their store. When I got it, it sounded flat and much lower in tone than what my 18" Medium Thin was. It took another 17" Medium Thin to get me closer to what I was looking for. I own the 21" Vintage ride, which I think sounds great, it's a bit on the loud side, but that's where drumming dynamics comes into play. I also own the HH Raw Bell Dry ride which sound sweet on most genres of music that I play. This past Saturday I was listening to a 20" Classic ride to be used as my second ride, but I haven't made my mind up on it just yet. All of my cymbals in a series have to sound musically together, so in my case I'm always bringing my own cymbals with me when auditioning a new one that's going to be included in any particular kit.

Since the picture below was taken, I've also included a 14" HH Thin above the high hats next to the 16" Medium Thin. The HH Raw Bell Dry ride is on another kit.

Dennis

D

DamoSyzygy

^ Beautiful setup.

And Ill echo what audiotech just said - Match these things up as a set or you really arent doing them justice. Take your existing setup to your local store and have them with you to compare when you start contemplating new additions from the wall...

TTNW

Pioneer Member
The HH sound control ride is nice. Interesting flat flanged edge.

AudioTech, I really like how you've been acquiring sets of various cymbal lines. I want to start doing this too and branch out from my Zildjians. I have a great set of As (about 8 of them) and a nice set of K Customs.

I almost bought the Paiste GBs on Saturday but they didn't have enough models for me to A/B so I chickened out.

Without hijacking this thread too much, which different cymbal lines do you currently have?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I use a 20" leopard ride. Great stick tone & bell. Dark yet musical. Really cuts through despite the dark warm tone. Best ride I've ever used but you can't crash it. It's as heavy as hell.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I saw an HH Prototype ride when the Sabian rep came to town recently. It had several rings around it, each of them giving a different timbre and articulation. It was "only" $350, but I didn't need to spend that much on a cymbal. Something like THAT would be your best bet, as far as versatility goes...

trickymitch

I have an HH 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride in brilliant finish and it's just unbelievable. I'm a hard rock and metal drummer so the bigger size and fulller bell appealed more to me, but everyone who has heard it has always commented on it. My friend is a funk/groove drummer who can't get into rock drumming at all, but he's a big fan of it's sound. I would seriously give it a listen cause it's a sweet sweey cymbal.

blasterbeat

I have an HH 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride in brilliant finish and it's just unbelievable. I'm a hard rock and metal drummer so the bigger size and fulller bell appealed more to me, but everyone who has heard it has always commented on it. My friend is a funk/groove drummer who can't get into rock drumming at all, but he's a big fan of it's sound. I would seriously give it a listen cause it's a sweet sweey cymbal.

I tried one out on a Pearl Vision at guitar center today! Of course another one of the same size and make would sound different, that's to be expected; but man this ride sounded sweet and it crashed excellent. Too bad I don't have the $$.

A

audiotech

The HH sound control ride is nice. Interesting flat flanged edge.

AudioTech, I really like how you've been acquiring sets of various cymbal lines. I want to start doing this too and branch out from my Zildjians. I have a great set of As (about 8 of them) and a nice set of K Customs.

Without hijacking this thread too much, which different cymbal lines do you currently have?

At this time I have four different lines. Zildjian A's and A Customs and Sabian HHX and Hand Hammered. I had a collection of Sabian AA's, but they were traded in for the Hand Hammered just about four weeks ago. The funny thing about these choices are that for about 48 years of my career, I never owned anything but the Zildjian A cymbal line. I got into the Sabian HHX series about this time last year. I still use three original Zildjian A's that my dad played in the late 40's, 50's and 60's.

Dennis