What IS that sound?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
The Beatles "Come Together".

There is a sound that sounds like a castanet or something, I don't think it's a castanet, right at the kick off of the song, and all the other places where they say "Shoop". Listen for it, it's not hidden or anything.

What IS that sound?

There's a whole bunch of other sounds from all kinds of songs that I'd like to know what it is, but for now I'll be happy with this one.

Like Zep's "Ramble On"s where it sounds like someone is playing steady 8th notes with their hand hitting their tight denim trousers as soon as the song starts.

Feel free to add yours.

Last edited:
Wikipedia says, "In the intro and after each chorus, Lennon says "shoot me", which is accompanied by echoing handclaps and a distinctive drum part by Starr as well as McCartney's prominent bass riff."

I always figured Ringo was slapping his thigh or something.

My band does Vanilla Fudge's version of "Keep Me Hangin On". I've had to listen to it numerous times, and there's a crazy sound in there that I have finally come to believe is a defective reed in the organ.

I believe in the Beatles one it is quite literally someone saying “schoop” or something like that but in the Zep one it may be a shaker, for it is more pronounced

On "Come Together" it definetly sounds like hand clapping.

On "Ramble On" more like hitting a harder wood or plastic surface. Might well be with sticks on that one

On Come Together, I have no earthly idea, but whatever it is seems to be on a very rapid delay.

On Ramble On, the sound seems to be produced by drum sticks on a large rubber practice pad like the ones that came in Ludwig snare drum kits. It's obviously placed on a table rather than on a snare drum, though.

GeeDeeEmm

This is like how John's squeaky Speed King pedal is evident in a song or two. For a long while many people couldn't understand what it was.

Okay I've got a few.

Journey - Separate Ways
When Steve Perry first says "You know I still love you", I swear I hear a faint wood block sound. Is this a click track? I hear it elsewhere in the song also.

Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name
The opening line, "Shot Through the Heart and You're to Blame". On the word "to", there is some sort of percussive sound under it. What is that?

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog
When Robert Plant sings and there is no music throughout the song, before the music comes in there is a click. Are these two sticks being hit together?

There is also a Zeppelin song where I can hear talking in the background for about a second during a guitar solo. I can't remember or find the song at the moment, but it's definitely there and I can't unhear it. If I find the song I'll amend this post.

It would be most helpful if you guys posted links, that takes me to right before the place in the song, where the sound in question is.

It would be most helpful if you guys posted links, that takes me to right before the place in the song, where the sound in question is.

Sorry Uncle Larry, I don't know how to do that!

The Bon Jovi song is easy, it's about 3 seconds in, before the music even starts.

Black Dog is throughout the whole song, every time the music stops. It's right before the music comes back in.

Separate Ways, 1:37 - 1:40 is the first place I hear it. And definitely again between 4:35 - 4:40.

It's so easy that I have to tell you how. Go to the point in the YT video where you want us to start listening from. Right click the video and select "Copy video URL at current time"

Paste it into a thread, by using Ctrl V.

It will take us right to the place in the video that you chose.

Use this info wisely. we're trusting you with it. Don't do any harm with it, OK?

The clap with an echo/delay is it..! Cool I wondered about that myself..

One sound that had me scratching my head a few years back - was the percussive 16th note pattern in BTO's hit 'Taking care of business. After a web search turned up nothing.. I want on Twitter and asked Randy Bachman himself - he replied immediately! He didn't want congas or bongos as if gave the wrong vibe.. so they emptied a plastic milk jug, half filled it with paper scraps.. flipped it upside down and hand played it like a bongo!
It runs in the background for most of the tune.. but you can really hear it here:

Last edited:
The sounds at the very very beginning of 'Fool's Gold' by the Stone Roses, before the drums and bass kick in. What are they?

One sound that had me scratching my head a few years back - was the percussive 16th note pattern in BTO's hit 'Taking care of business. After a web search turned up nothing.. I want on Twitter and asked Randy Bachman himself - he replied immediately! He didn't want congas or bongos as if gave the wrong vibe.. so they emptied a plastic milk jug, half filled it with paper scraps.. flipped it upside down and hand played it like a bongo!
It runs in the background for most of the tune.. but you can really hear it here:
I've often wondered about that one too. Milk jug eh? Did you happen to ask which brand of milk jug? :p

Okay I've got a few.

Journey - Separate Ways
When Steve Perry first says "You know I still love you", I swear I hear a faint wood block sound. Is this a click track? I hear it elsewhere in the song also.

I think that's the bass guitar. Ross hits the string hard during the chorus to give it that percussive effect. You can kinda, sort hear it in the live versions too.

Though, on "Stone in love" at the ending guitar solo, I swear I hear a click track bleeding through in the background, but Steve Smith says those albums were recorded without a click.

Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name
The opening line, "Shot Through the Heart and You're to Blame". On the word "to", there is some sort of percussive sound under it. What is that?
I don't think it's a percussion effect. They put a lot of effects on the backing vocals, and like sounds like the meter spikes there, and they left it in.

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog
When Robert Plant sings and there is no music throughout the song, before the music comes in there is a click. Are these two sticks being hit together?
That is Bonham clicking his sticks to signal to the band to come in, and the empty spaces (where Plant sings without music) aren't really in time.

I've always wondered about that one myself.

Back