What is something you did on (or to) your drums that you cringe about now?

Can't think of much else than when I started out as an 8 year old kid, I removed the rims on my toms one day since I was constantly hitting them when I played, thinking it would be easier to hit the heads like that. Well... it kind of was :p. My father had quite a laugh about it then, being a drummer as well. I quickly put them back on... :D

played like i was demolishing a house! my volume levels were ON & OFF, no in between.

then i learnt dynamics!
This was me up until about a year ago. The very bassist I didn't get along with actually taught me to be more aware of my volume in a band context. It's been really good.
Stuffing the bass drum.
I had a laundromat in mine as a teenager. Why I thought that sounded good is a head scratcher.
Tama Stilt stands, gave me vertigo. A solution for a problem that didn’t exist, stupid idea.
I had 3 of those and still have one left. I don't use it very much unless I need an extra one for some reason.
Not sure the reason for the design, but Tama tried.

In the late '80s/early '90's, I hadn't played in a band or gigged for a couple of years following the births of my 3 sons (too busy being a parent...)

A work colleague of mine mentioned that he was a drummer; I foolishly lent him 3 cymbals for an upcoming gig; an 18" 2002 crash, a new(ish) 20" Zildjian China, & a BEAUTIFUL old ('40s-'50s) Zildjian crash-ride.

I asked him how the gig went; apparently, the cymbals must have been faulty, as they ALL cracked/broke on the same night....:unsure::cry:

I learned a valuable drummer's lesson- don't lend your valuable drum stuff to people with a technique only suitable for hardcore demolition!
I've NEVER broken or cracked a cymbal, & can't even remember the last time I broke a stick!
Ever since that event with my precious pies, if I'm ever in a room watching a drummer play, I subconsciously analyse their technique to see if they're nuanced, or are pretending that they're banging 6"nails into a tree trunk.

Kit share? I'd normally run a mile!

OH man,

For the 2 years after i came back to Drumming after a 25 year hiatus i didn't know anything, but joined a band right away. The kit i bought had totally blown out heads with huge dents in them and the kick head had a small crack in it. Instead of replacing everything, i used DUCT tape to try to fix the crack on the kick head. I tuned the batters up and never even looked at the Resos, which were almost all completely loose. The snare was ancient too but i kept bashing it, the snare wires were toast too. I was clueless. It was funny when i think back about. The other guys in the band never said a word even though the Drums sounded like crap to me. They did however notice when i replaced everything and the drums actually sounded like drums and not trash can lids or bread boxes. ive learned a lot in the last 14 years, lol.

Back in 1978 when I purchased my first professional level drum set (Gretsch) - the drums came in a shell pack with no Tom mounts on them . This was a common thing at this periods because many people opts for Tom brackets and mounts from other manufacturers . The Gretsch mounts at the time were pretty awful . At this time we never thought of enhancing resonance with items like RIMS because they did jot exist yet . We wanted the most sturdy and reliable mounts we could find . In my case I went with Rogers Memriloc mounts and Tom holder . They did keep the drums very stable but the mounts and the large holes drilled in the shell really did rob the drums resonance .

Aside from the 80s concert toms, my bandmates and I all used neon dayglo paint to put hand prints on the BD head.

View attachment 143706
I LOVE my late 70's Premier Elite concert toms kit!:giggle:

SOME of it is coming out for a small bar gig on Tuesday, after 2 years of hibernation; would have loved to take my British Drum Company 'Legend' gear, but I don't know this joint, so won't be taking any chances...

I always look forward to playing this immaculate old gear, if only because it looks, sounds & feels totally different to more modern drums.

I'd guarantee that no-one else will notice, unless they're a drummer...;)

Back when I was 14 or 15 I poured isopropyl alcohol on my cymbals and lit them on fire. I'm not sure where I got the idea from. It's cool for a few seconds, and then the alcohol burns off. So I poured more on and lit them... and a glob of flaming alcohol fell from the cymbal on to the carpet and set a small fire on the carpet. Luckily it was small and super easy to put out, but still, Holy hell.....😄

Stripping my black/gold duco L&L Standard from the late 1930’s when I was 12. It still sounds awesome but I ruined the badge in the process because I knew nothing about removing badges.

I used to put pillows in my bass drum, and muffling crap on my toms and snare...before I knew about tuning and how the heads react with each other and the shells from a physics stand point.

I used to use nylon tipped sticks

I used to set up the kit to "look cool", and adjust my playing to the set up

I used to think that heavier, bigger cymbals were for loud music, and smaller, thinner cymbals were for soft playing

I used to transport my drums without cases

Back in the 70's... I think I tried to clean my drum heads with Comet. 😬 When I got back into drumming 15 years ago I bought a pack of ZBT special effects "to get started." They were Zildjian, I thought... oh my! So awful!!

Last edited:
I used to put pillows in my bass drum, and muffling crap on my toms and snare...before I knew about tuning and how the heads react with each other and the shells from a physics stand point.

I used to use nylon tipped sticks

I used to set up the kit to "look cool", and adjust my playing to the set up

I used to think that heavier, bigger cymbals were for loud music, and smaller, thinner cymbals were for soft playing

I used to transport my drums without cases
I do 3 of the 5, but trade the pillow for a hospital blanket.

I do 3 of the 5, but trade the pillow for a hospital blanket.

I am so glad that I don't have to put stuff in the BD anymore. I use a Powerstroke 3 clear and a Remo White custom logo head with a mic port; I do the batter side to finger tight, then one and a half full turn, and that is it; reso head is finger tight and a quarter of a turn; it is a 20x16" 6ply maple Pearl Masters Custom

I used to tape the perimeter of my tom head and poked a mic hole in the centre of the kick front head... I wondered why they gave me weird overtones instead of "muffling" it. Today I like a more open tone, but still don't cringe at things like a Hydraulic head or a concert tom (I like those too, as long as they're not tuned too dead).
One really embarassing thing I did was posting all over another forum about how "sweet" a ZBT ride bell sounded... I got nicknamed "sweet ZBT bro" for a while. Now I run away from a ZBT with hands over my ears...

why would I want to relive cringe ?!!​
I sprayed a Remo snare head with red day glo orange paint when I was 14.
along with black contact paper here and there.. full disclosure I may have painted some basement light bulbs red for mood

MOOD
snoop dogg GIF

• Haha
Reactions: jda
Back