What is one thing you HAVE to have on your kit?

JaysonJeanChannel

For me, it has to be a second-floor tom! I mostly play Gospel music, and I always have the most fun with a second-floor tom to the point where its mandatory for my kit to have one! :)
Two-floor toms!

This thing:

tama-iron-cobra-single-pedal-hp900rs-rolling-glide_1_DRU0001895-000.jpg

Kick snare hat. Ooops that's 3.

I don't have to have anything other than the basics, but it sure is nice.

After that would be a ride, then a crash, 3 toms, then 2 cowbells, a 10" splash, a drumset mounted tambourine, and a timbale flown from my hi hat.

That's my biggest gig setup, what I use on a gig that plays a variety of styles.

Apart from the obvious (sticks, throne, kick, snare, hihat, ride/crash), there's very little I absolutely need to have. I do struggle if I don't have at least one rack tom and one floor tom though - I'm definitely not cool enough to comfortably pull off the "no toms" kit.

I've played many gigs with kick, snare, hats, ride. That's my absolute minimum, and I enjoy the creativity it forces me to have.

A snare that sounds good. I always bring my own. The rest of the kit can be kinda crappy, and I'd prefer it not be, but if the snare sounds like garbage then I don't play as well as I should.

Back