What is Lightest Drum Kit Available

I have an Inde' kit. Amazingly light with a great sound. Pair it with Yamaha Cross town stands and life gets so much easier.

I think it's the stands and throne that are heavy. Drums themselves not so heavy.

That’s true too. Jenkins-Martins are pretty light.
I don't agree. Of all the drums I've owned through the years (currently own 7 kits), my J-M kit is probably the heaviest.

The lightest drums I've ever handled are Baltimore Drum Co's thin maple with billet aluminum lugs.

I’ve been lusting after the Sonor AQ2 Safari for a while. 16in BD though. Also, don’t know the weights. If I go mobile some day, that’s where I’ll look.

Pete

Should add that I was steered toward it by a guy in the UK I’ve chatted with for 5-6 years. He loves it for the Jazz Clubs he gigs in around London. Different guy from the YouTube video, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Whitney Nesting Penguin with wood hoops is by far the lightest full drum set made these days . Four drums nest are less than 30lbs ( think a 24 case of beer bottles is 33 lbs).
I had two sets and stupidly sold them . They are marvellous drums available in a variety of sizes and they come with the Quickframe , snare stand and cymbal arms and Tom mounts .

I owned an 18/12/14 INDe kit and they are light but nowhere near as light as the Whitney kit .

Last edited:
My Whitney 10-13-16 kit weighed 29lbs. But you do have to carry a fair of weight with the special hardware needed for
the kit.

My Inde 12-14-20 kit weighs 32lbs including the floor tom legs and bass drum spurs. My cymbal case weighs more ;)

The Whitney Nesting Penguin with wood hoops is by far the lightest full drum set made these days . Four drums nest are less than 30lbs ( think a 24 case of beer bottles is 33 lbs).
I had a set of three and stupidly sold them . They are marvellous drums available in a variety of sizes and they come with the Quickframe , snare stand and cymbal arms and Tom mounts .

I owned an 18/12/14 INDe kit and they are light but nowhere near as light as the Whitney kit .

I love the idea of a Whitney. I wanted one for a long time, but I ended up going with a Ludwig Classic Maple in downbeat sizes. To be honest, a 14 x 20 Classic Maple kick in a drum bag isn't that bad...especially if the gig bag has a shoulder strap.

I'd also check out the DW Frequent Flier kit. I think the kick has like a 12" depth.

I've also read about how crummy the Ludwig Breakbeats are, but I played one, and you know it's really not that bad for what it is.

Here is a pic of me playing my former Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 kit at a Rehearsal. Superb sounding drums. Never should have sold them.
I might get another kit next year.

Attachments

• Jambalaya.jpg
    Jambalaya.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 31
I had an AQ2. Great build and sound. They're pretty hefty for their size. I'd not call them "light".

I’ve been lusting after the Sonor AQ2 Safari for a while. 16in BD though. Also, don’t know the weights. If I go mobile some day, that’s where I’ll look.

Pete

The portability of the DW LowPro is impressive, but I'd have to give the sound a 2/10. I've heard toy drum kits that sound better.

And it's $900! :oops:
I agree, to me it sounds like absolute crap. But there must be a market for it and it definitely is up there with the lightest available, maybe they'll make a version 2 with better sound. It's not something I'll ever want, mind.

I've got a 2nd generation Stage Custom and the 20" kick drum can't weigh more than 15-16 pounds. The whole kit is light as a feather yet impressively well made.

Here is the new Yamaha Stage Custom Hip set, which looks interesting:

Starting with a 20”x8” bass drum which Yamaha says offers “a deep tonal low end as well as smaller footprint”.
Next up is a 13”x8” floor tom, which doubles as a snare drum - perfect if you’re in need of two snares for some songs but still want to carry a minimal setup to your gig. The kit is completed by a 10”x5” rack tom and a 13”x5” snare.

Back