What is Lightest Drum Kit Available

fess

I have an Inde' kit. Amazingly light with a great sound. Pair it with Yamaha Cross town stands and life gets so much easier.

TomR

That’s true too. Jenkins-Martins are pretty light.
I don't agree. Of all the drums I've owned through the years (currently own 7 kits), my J-M kit is probably the heaviest.

The lightest drums I've ever handled are Baltimore Drum Co's thin maple with billet aluminum lugs.

Peedy

I’ve been lusting after the Sonor AQ2 Safari for a while. 16in BD though. Also, don’t know the weights. If I go mobile some day, that’s where I’ll look.

Pete

Peedy

Should add that I was steered toward it by a guy in the UK I’ve chatted with for 5-6 years. He loves it for the Jazz Clubs he gigs in around London. Different guy from the YouTube video, though.

Last edited:

RickP

Gold Member
The Whitney Nesting Penguin with wood hoops is by far the lightest full drum set made these days . Four drums nest are less than 30lbs ( think a 24 case of beer bottles is 33 lbs).
I had a set of three and stupidly sold them . They are marvellous drums available in a variety of sizes and they come with the Quickframe , snare stand and cymbal arms and Tom mounts .

I owned an 18/12/14 INDe kit and they are light but nowhere near as light as the Whitney kit .

dboomer

My Whitney 10-13-16 kit weighed 29lbs. But you do have to carry a fair of weight with the special hardware needed for
the kit.

My Inde 12-14-20 kit weighs 32lbs including the floor tom legs and bass drum spurs. My cymbal case weighs more ;)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
The Whitney Nesting Penguin with wood hoops is by far the lightest full drum set made these days . Four drums nest are less than 30lbs ( think a 24 case of beer bottles is 33 lbs).
I had a set of three and stupidly sold them . They are marvellous drums available in a variety of sizes and they come with the Quickframe , snare stand and cymbal arms and Tom mounts .

I owned an 18/12/14 INDe kit and they are light but nowhere near as light as the Whitney kit .
I love the idea of a Whitney. I wanted one for a long time, but I ended up going with a Ludwig Classic Maple in downbeat sizes. To be honest, a 14 x 20 Classic Maple kick in a drum bag isn't that bad...especially if the gig bag has a shoulder strap.

I'd also check out the DW Frequent Flier kit. I think the kick has like a 12" depth.

I've also read about how crummy the Ludwig Breakbeats are, but I played one, and you know it's really not that bad for what it is.

RickP

Gold Member
Here is a pic of me playing my former Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 kit at a Rehearsal. Superb sounding drums. Never should have sold them.
I might get another kit next year.

Attachments

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I had an AQ2. Great build and sound. They're pretty hefty for their size. I'd not call them "light".

I’ve been lusting after the Sonor AQ2 Safari for a while. 16in BD though. Also, don’t know the weights. If I go mobile some day, that’s where I’ll look.

Pete

BonsaiMagpie

The portability of the DW LowPro is impressive, but I'd have to give the sound a 2/10. I've heard toy drum kits that sound better.

And it's $900! :oops:
I agree, to me it sounds like absolute crap. But there must be a market for it and it definitely is up there with the lightest available, maybe they'll make a version 2 with better sound. It's not something I'll ever want, mind.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Lightest "real" kit in existence I know of, and they're superb! Lightest of the two is the classic rope style, but the lug version isn't far behind in the lightness race. Drums by Wacco.

30531115_1972525292819156_631485944859459584_o.jpg
26170292_1832966336775053_846654016481962129_o.jpg

yammyfan

I've got a 2nd generation Stage Custom and the 20" kick drum can't weigh more than 15-16 pounds. The whole kit is light as a feather yet impressively well made.