What is it about DW Collectors wood snare beds that I don't like?

mrmike

Silver Member
Just trying to understand a bit more about snare beds and how they affect the sound. I have owned three Collectors wood snares and they have all had a characteristic that I have not cared for. At first I thought it might be those thick and wide re-rings bit I am thinking now it has something to do with the way they cut the snare beds. It seems like the snare response lags just a bit and lacks focus. I am not sure how else to describe it other than it lacks body. It does dry the sound out a bit which is not bad I guess.

I know the easy answer is buy something else and that is exactly what I will do (Luddie on order) but being the geek that I am I would like to know what it is about the design that I don't like. I have lots of Ludwig metal snares, a couple Pearl MMX wood snares and have owned quite a few other wood snares in the past and none of them had this characteristic. I even had a Collectors brass at one point that was a great sounding drum.

I suppose I should just get over it but I would like to maybe have a custom snare built and would like to know what to avoid. Plus lots of endorsers play these snares (Erskine, Kilson, Igoe, Latham) and they seem to sound great. I suppose they are custom for these endorsers so what's the secret recipe?

Stroman

Platinum Member
I'm not sure what it is, but if you still have one of the Collector snares perhaps you could measure the dimensions of the snare bed and compare it to snares you do like.

How wide is the bed, how deep, is the transition from bearing edge to snare bed steep or gradual, is the bed scooped along its width or is it relatively flat once the transition from edge to bed is complete, does the bearing edge itself maintain the same profile in the bed area, what is the overall bearing edge of the snare side of the drum like, is the bearing edge different from the batter side edge? These are all questions that you should be able to answer by observation, I would think...

It would be kind of a fun project, too!

mrmike

Silver Member
Exactly! I did have both my Pearl MMX and Collectors stripped to do exactly that. Both drums beds had similar fairly wide widths and sharp 45 degree edges and re-rings. The big difference is the Pearl bed was deeper but I would not say the DW super shallow. maybe I'll strip them again and measure. I am now curious how these compare to the Ludwig Classic maple I have on order. The only snare other snare that I remember scrutinizing the snare beds was a 90's Radio King that I had the edges redone by Precision drum. It had wide shallow beds if I remember and sounded great so now I am really corn fused.

I may have been a bit misleading in my original post. My current DW snare is a DW Craviotto from 2003. I bought off ebay because I liked the sound of a Craviotto Diamond Unlimited at my local shop. I thought I could save a couple hundred bucks and have a similar drum but when I got it, sure enough, it sounded like a DW wood snare.LOL
I emailed Johnny Craviotto to ask the difference and the only thing he said was that he made the shells and DW cut the edges and beds and put on the hardware.

gretsch-o-rama

Exactly! I did have both my Pearl MMX and Collectors stripped to do exactly that. Both drums beds had similar fairly wide widths and sharp 45 degree edges and re-rings. The big difference is the Pearl bed was deeper but I would not say the DW super shallow. maybe I'll strip them again and measure. I am now curious how these compare to the Ludwig Classic maple I have on order. The only snare other snare that I remember scrutinizing the snare beds was a 90's Radio King that I had the edges redone by Precision drum. It had wide shallow beds if I remember and sounded great so now I am really corn fused.

I may have been a bit misleading in my original post. My current DW snare is a DW Craviotto from 2003. I bought off ebay because I liked the sound of a Craviotto Diamond Unlimited at my local shop. I thought I could save a couple hundred bucks and have a similar drum but when I got it, sure enough, it sounded like a DW wood snare.LOL
I emailed Johnny Craviotto to ask the difference and the only thing he said was that he made the shells and DW cut the edges and beds and put on the hardware.

From what Ive been told by Steve at NelsonDrumCraft, is that DW flat, circular sands snare beds with the shell at an angle to the sander. However, Ive owned one collector's ply drum and two dw craviotto's and I don't have any of them anymore. My experience with the ply drum is that is was loud, loud, loud, And not very "warm" sounding at all. I always thought it was from what you said, the really thick re-rings... The same goes for both of the craviottos I had although they did sound better... I would be smart to draw the conclusion that I don't care for snares with rerings and not invest in something like that again........

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
Not sure what is causing the issue but...

If the issue is re-rings I don't think there is much you can do about it.

If the issues are snare bed and/or edges, then you can try getting those redone.

You mentioned having some work done by Precision. They could possibly help.

I would also suggest talking via phone or email with Bill Detamore who owns Pork Pie. I believe Bill started out years ago with DW before he broke off to do his own thing. Talk it over with him and he can advise you the best course to take. I believe he is on this board as member porkpie. Probably best if you contact him directly at the Pork Pie shop or via direct email.

HTH

Jim

mrmike

Silver Member
I think what I will do is sell the drum unaltered and try a Craviotto Unlimited. At least I have heard one that I like so I am guessing it may be less of a gamble. It will have to be ebay or online seller because my local shop has trouble keeping even one in stock.

What attracts me to Craviotto over other one ply snares is it's collectible value but I want it to sound great to. Having heard great things about Bill Detmore I am very curious about the Pork Pie one ply maple.