What is going on with my feet? (double pedal)

mfolcini

Hello everyone.
I've been doing George Kollias 16th weeks workout (http://drumtechofficial.blogspot.com/2013/10/george-kollias-16-week-speed-control.html) for around 6 weeks now.
I was doing great, I felt like I was improving a lot, I managed to do the first 4 weeks at max 65 bpm, I was practicing both right and left leading, although right has always been better, including doing these exercises. Also, I was practising between 30 min - 1 hour every day.
So I went for holidays for around 10 days, came back, I changed throne, and kick pad (from kd10 to kd 180l bk), and started the second cycle of the training now trying 70 bpm. Well, it's not going great.... I don't know if it was the holidays or the change of pad, but I'm quite bad now, but the really weird thing, is that if I try to lead with my left foot, it works!!!! I'm able to hit 70bpms and I feel much more confident that with my right foot, but again as soon as I change back to my right foot everything falls apart. I have even tried going back to slower tempos were I was doing alright previously, and I'm still fucking up things!!!
I don't understand what's going on, I tried as well changing the tension of the pedals, but doesn't seem to help.
I'm really confused on what is going on, and what should I do.
Any ideas? Should I just continue on 70 bpm but leading with left instead, even though I'm right footed, and hope that at some point my body just re-adapts to how it was ?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You stopped, plain and simple. They say that for everyday you stop doing something, it takes two to get back to where you were. So you stop for 5, its gonna take 10.

And stop changing settings, it isnt them. Nothing happened except you stopped. It will come back.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I actually went through phases like that my first two years of double bass. I kept trying new pedals, different seat positions, etc, but the actual problem was I just hadn't fully developed my pedal technique yet. Once I finally did, it didn't matter what pedals I played or if I took a few days off, the setbacks finally quit happening.

mfolcini

Thanks for your advice, I guess I will move on practicing with both feet at max tempos I can even though they are different, hopefully it will just come back, crazy brain :D

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Thanks for your advice, I guess I will move on practicing with both feet at max tempos I can even though they are different, hopefully it will just come back, crazy brain :D
Upping your tempo coming back after holiday is quite possibly the killer. If you backed it off 5 bpm you might find your feet still work just fine.

Double kick is a long fought battle. We all go through the "my feet dont work no more" thing. It will happen again later as it gets easier and speed becomes faster. You will find in between tempos where it seems nothing works. The solution will be the same, just keep going.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
I actually went through phases like that my first two years of double bass. I kept trying new pedals, different seat positions, etc, but the actual problem was I just hadn't fully developed my pedal technique yet. Once I finally did, it didn't matter what pedals I played or if I took a few days off, the setbacks finally quit happening.
Agree 100%.