What is Classic Rock?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It's an old style of music from long ago when people played real instruments.
Haha so 100 years from now when people are chipped with processors and can make music with their minds only, will they listen to classic dubstep and have discussions about back in the day when everyone used machines to make music? Will us instrument players be forgotten? What will happen to classic rock? And will Bo keep his rack? Tune in next week to find out!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
It's rock between 60-90s so some really really stellar music and some real crap to. But still it's all "Classic" so yeah go figure. So there is "Classic Rock" but not all classic rock is equal-don't ya think? I guess my life (and drumming life starting at 8 in 63') parallels the life of Classic rock and then some LOL. I keep forgetting great music-and some never gets air time as Sirius, etc play same endless shit. That's what I love about DW-people remind me of great songs all the time. What's great I'm getting old and senile so it's like listening to it for the first time-again.

Smoke

Silver Member
Can't say on the definition, but I'd say anything recorded pre-AutoTune could be considered classic.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Well they played Hall and Oates, Michael Jackson, Beatles, just a hodge podge of songs.

Yacht rock is a broad music style and aesthetic identified with soft rock. It was one of the commercially successful genres of its era, existing between the late 1970s and early 1980s. Wikipedia
Ah the Yacht Rock thing.
I recently watched a documentary about it on BBC4 in the UK and was annoyed enough to tweet the presenter about it! Having seen how the term Yacht Rock came to pass (a guy started making parody videos on YouTube) it felt to me very much like a definition into which talking heads on a TV show could crowbar whatever songs they wanted into it. A fictional genre that became self fulfilling. And while I could see where they were coming from, a lot of the artists (Hall and Oates spring immediately to mind) simply didn't fit into what the creators of the term said Yacht Rock is. Re:the Wikipedia reference, the term Yacht Rock itself didn't exist in the 70's and 80's, there wasn't a movement as such (like Punk, NWOBHM etc.) so the artists have been added retrospectively.
Ultimately I was vindicated when Toto's Steve Lukather (Toto being Uber beings in the Yacht Rock world) said that he'd never heard of the term! Owned!!

Ronzo

Too subjective of a question because what is new rock today can possibly become classic rock tomorrow.
The answer you get is somewhat dependent on the age of the person you ask.
For me....my generation would consider classic rock from 1960-1980.
For my kids...they consider Nirvana classic rock.

Peedy

It's like saying a 57 Chevy Bel Air with a big block is no longer a hot rod because it is too old.
Biggest engine they came with was a 283 small block. Sorry, was a gear head long before I started playing around with drums.

Olds Forever!

Pete

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Biggest engine they came with was a 283 small block. Sorry, was a gear head long before I started playing around with drums.

Olds Forever!

Pete
Wasn't trying to imply it did. 396, 427, 454 is much more hot rod than a 283. Regardless of engine, it's still a classic. The CRX isn't, regardless of anything.

Long time gear head here too.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
For me personally, classic rock is the part of rock history that, when listening to nowadays, kinda breathes 'dust' and the part of rock history that basically was never really relevant as in being influencial or anything like that..

Thats why in my opinion Nirvana for example will never be a classic rock band, just like Sex Pistols, MC5, The Stooges, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks, Radiohead, etc..

There are 100's of bands that maybe are played on classic rock stations, but to me they are no classic rock because they are still relevant and infuencial untill this day..

Bands that are NOT in that category are in my opinion bands like Bachman-Turner Overdrive, R.E.O. Speedwagon, Boston, Loverboy, Toto, Huey Lewis & the News, Foreigner, basically the complete AOR genre..

Thats what i consider classic rock..

Some of them can still have nice songs or albums, but thats all what they are, just nice (sometimes), nothing more than that..

Last edited: