What I Like About DW

DW is the first (and only) drum maker to actually exceed my expectations. I used to think that Yamaha Stage Customs were the bang-for-the-buck champion but in my opinion that title now goes to the DW Design Series.

Here are just a few things I like about DW in general and the Designs in particular:
  • I like that DW includes a nice box of spare tension rods with its kits.
  • I like that kick drum pillows are included with new kits.
  • I like that DW drums are incredibly easy to tune and that they hold their tuning for ages thanks to the True Pitch tension rods
  • I like the graduated hoops that come with the Design and Performance Series kits.
  • I like the STM mounting system and the fact that even the "budget" Design Series uses it.
  • I like the MAG throw-off more than any other I've ever used. The 3-Position butt plate is clever and useful too.
Furthermore, I like that DW's least expensive drums are still made using 100% North American maple. There's something reassuring about that and not something I expected at that price point.

Last edited:
well not really, Pearl session studios and even masters come with UT heads, I'd say that many kits under 2000 come with cheap heads.
Well you have to consider the source, Pearl. Lol just kidding. I couldn't help myself.

Comments like they sound better with Ambassador batter heads don't make sense; you'd use Ambassadors to dry up the sound. If a drum is boxy/ thuddy with stock heads, Ambassadors will make them sound like you're playing on a piece of cardboard.
I'm of the school of thought that Ambassador heads especially clear have the most ring and sustaine than any other head.

I'm of the school of thought that Ambassador heads especially clear have the most ring and sustaine than any other head.
I put Remo Coated Ambassador on snares to reduce ring. That's why I use them on snares. I can't imagine them being used for the ring and sustain they contribute. Just the opposite IMHO.

I put Remo Coated Ambassador on snares to reduce ring. That's why I use them on snares. I can't imagine them being used for the ring and sustain they contribute. Just the opposite IMHO.
ambassadors are on the ringy side, if i wanted a head that is like an ambassador but doesn’t ring i would get a controlled sound. ambassadors aren’t THAT ringy either

When I ordered my Ludwig Classic Maples, I was able to spec any Remo heads I wanted on all the drums. The drums sound full bodied and very musical.
That being said DW makes a great drum with premium features.
Best of luck with your new set.

When I ordered my Ludwig Classic Maples, I was able to spec any Remo heads I wanted on all the drums. The drums sound full bodied and very musical.
That being said DW makes a great drum with premium features.
Best of luck with your new set.
Now there's a good idea for the drum kit manufacturers.
Let the person who buys the new kit decide what heads will be on the kit when it is delivered.

Nobody is touting their 23” bass drums or the woofers?

Didn’t want to brag, but my 20x23 (with woofer) Dee Dub bass drum in fluorescent green entrails finish with jellybean powder coated hardware is KILLIN’ it in my acoustic piano trio. Those sub-frequencies, bro... Bill Evans and Ahmad Jamal classics have never sounded better.

On a more serious note, I’m looking forward to my new DW set, which is being made right now. It’s a bit more traditionally sized and finished than my make believe drum in the post above. 13-16-22, all trad depths and in black lacquer. I’m turning 50 in a couple of months so wanted to splurge for the occasion. Sold off a BUNCH of other stuff to make it happen.

The only bummer about the order was not being able to get the exact heads I want on there directly from the factory. I know they have them (coated Ambs top and bottom), but unfortunately it was not an order option. Agree with other’s sentiments that one should be able to have the heads one wants on the drums when they’re made. My local shop is gonna be cool and let me swap out the factory heads for what I want, but it’s an unnecessary step, in my opinion.

On a more serious note, I’m looking forward to my new DW set, which is being made right now. It’s a bit more traditionally sized and finished than my make believe drum in the post above. 13-16-22, all trad depths and in black lacquer. I’m turning 50 in a couple of months so wanted to splurge for the occasion. Sold off a BUNCH of other stuff to make it happen.

The only bummer about the order was not being able to get the exact heads I want on there directly from the factory. I know they have them (coated Ambs top and bottom), but unfortunately it was not an order option. Agree with other’s sentiments that one should be able to have the heads one wants on the drums when they’re made. My local shop is gonna be cool and let me swap out the factory heads for what I want, but it’s an unnecessary step, in my opinion.
If you're close enough to Oxnard, find out if you can drop ship or just drop off the heads you want and have DW install them for you @ the factory and send along the stock heads for you to do whatever you wish.

If you're close enough to Oxnard, find out if you can drop ship or just drop off the heads you want and have DW install them for you @ the factory and send along the stock heads for you to do whatever you wish.

Great idea, but I’m just gonna swap out at the shop (Bentley’s). Gives me an excuse to hang out a little longer and Dana can use the factory heads on another set.

I've tried the standard clear/coated DW heads on both of my Collectors kits. I could get a good sound out of them and once mic'd up, they sounded even better. However, I've come to conclude for clear heads, I'm a 2-ply guy and for t.p., I'm a 3-ply guy.

I've tried a variety of heads on the Collectors and now prefer Evans EC2s over EC1s. BUT, my old hard rock side is wanting to try Pinstripes on top. Perhaps that'll be what I do when it's time to rehead the kit.

As a side note, I prefer the look of clear vs coated heads, but do think coated 2-ply heads over clear 1-ply sound great on DW drums (and most other companies too).

As a side note, I prefer the look of clear vs coated heads, but do think coated 2-ply heads over clear 1-ply sound great on DW drums (and most other companies too).

Hmmm... that’s what mine will be shipping with. Maybe I should hold off on the swap and see how I like that combo first.

Hmmm... that’s what mine will be shipping with. Maybe I should hold off on the swap and see how I like that combo first.

I think you'll REALLY like those, if you're a 2-ply kinda guy. Emperors are 2 plies of 7mil and the DW AA heads are 2 plies of 7.5mil, 7.14% overall more thicker than Emperors. I believe the coating is the same. I would certainly give those a try and work w/ them before I spent more money on other heads. And if they sound phenomenal, I'd quickly get over the fact they're coated and not clear.

Definitely keep us posted.

I think you'll REALLY like those, if you're a 2-ply kinda guy. Emperors are 2 plies of 7mil and the DW AA heads are 2 plies of 7.5mil, 7.14% overall more thicker than Emperors. I believe the coating is the same. I would certainly give those a try and work w/ them before I spent more money on other heads. And if they sound phenomenal, I'd quickly get over the fact they're coated and not clear.

Definitely keep us posted.

Normally a coated Amb over coated Amb guy, and my gigs are uber-quiet 95% of the time, but I’m gonna go into this with an open mind and check out the stock setup. I already have the Amb/Amb on my other DW set, so makes sense to try something else out. Thanks for the proverbial slap, LB!

Can’t go wrong with the classy black lacquer. What’s the wait time on them?

Can’t go wrong with the classy black lacquer. What’s the wait time on them?

Thanks! I already have the satin natural set that belonged to Pete Thomas, so I think the gloss black lacquer will contrast that nicely. Both ends of the classy spectrum will be represented.

Dana told me a coupla month-ish wait time. Ordered mid-May so hoping to have them in time for my birthday on August 6th. Looking forward to making my own stories with this new set.

I've tried the standard clear/coated DW heads on both of my Collectors kits. I could get a good sound out of them and once mic'd up, they sounded even better. However, I've come to conclude for clear heads, I'm a 2-ply guy and for t.p., I'm a 3-ply guy.

I've tried a variety of heads on the Collectors and now prefer Evans EC2s over EC1s. BUT, my old hard rock side is wanting to try Pinstripes on top. Perhaps that'll be what I do when it's time to rehead the kit.

Thanks. If the factory heads wear out too soon I'll take your advise. I just don't wanna muffle toms so much that they lose their musical notes.

Thanks! I already have the satin natural set that belonged to Pete Thomas, so I think the gloss black lacquer will contrast that nicely. Both ends of the classy spectrum will be represented.

Dana told me a coupla month-ish wait time. Ordered mid-May so hoping to have them in time for my birthday on August 6th. Looking forward to making my own stories with this new set.
My special order kick only took about 8 weeks.

Back