What I hate hearing!!!

soulfly28

I hate jam sessions where the guitarist says "just play something". It's like they don't realize it also matters what they play. I prefer to have the bass player start so I can hear a few measures first. Don't hear too many "bass solos". Anyone else feel this way or dealt with it?

harryconway

Platinum Member
If you're "exploring" musical ideas, I don't like it when anyone constantly starts. Let everyone have a go at it. Maybe next time your guitarist wants you to start something, throw down some 5/4. Just to see how he hangs.​

wsabol

Gold Member
I agree, I really don't like to start jams. I universally prefer another instrument to establish the groove. I'm haven't put my finger on exactly why that is.. but it is what it is.

Lunar Satellite Brian

I've done a lot of jamming both in the guitarist position and drum position.

if the drummer is really bad it's usually much easier to have him start, if he's good I can usually come up with a little riff to start off.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Love jamming, period. More than happy to start, more than happy for someone else to start. What difference does it make, as long as the end result is the same? A bunch of guys laying it down together.

I'm sure they do realise it matters what they play as well, that's why they're happy for you to lay down a rhythm and come in over the top rather than sit there and listen to you play by yourself.

Making music is where the rubber meets the road. Just jamming out is an awesome way for it to be "made".....for ideas to be tossed about and for musicians to feed off one another.

I'll take it however it comes......regardless of who jumps in first.

<(' . '<)

Love jamming, period. More than happy to start, more than happy for someone else to start. What difference does it make, as long as the end result is the same? A bunch of guys laying it down together.

I'm sure they do realise it matters what they play as well, that's why they're happy for you to lay down a rhythm and come in over the top rather than sit there and listen to you play by yourself.

Making music is where the rubber meets the road. Just jamming out is an awesome way for it to be "made".....for ideas to be tossed about and for musicians to feed off one another.

I'll take it however it comes......regardless of who jumps in first.
I agree with him to an extent. I'll start but usually when
i'm told to just play something I do, but then since I just start making it up I get more into it and just start like my own little solo thing haha

alparrott

Platinum Member
There's jamming and there's songwriting. The two sometimes (but not always) can lead to the other.

I love it when the guitarist or bassist starts something up at a jam. Sets the tempo, gets the feel set, the whole nine yards. But typically when I'm in a band where we write songs... I click us in or start the song with the drums once the song is written.

When the bands that I have been in have been in songwriting mode, we build the songs from the inside out. Usually choruses and verses take shape first; then we arrange. Usually only then do we come up with a beginning and an end.

I have therefore started to move away from bands that get together and jam. Noodle-itis. Wasting time we could be learning a cover, or writing an original.

At an open mic jam, such as a blues jam, if you all know the song, the drums can start it or count it off. If not, always best to have the guitar player (or vocalist in a stretch) count it in or start it with a riff.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't mind starting...At least I can pick the groove and tempo. I don't mind when they start either, it's all good. They want a beat to start with, that's all. The money beat can go in many different directions, that's always a go to choice. Or a 2/4 beat. I'd probably default to a funk beat because that's one of my favorite feels. Or a half time shuffle. So many choices!

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I don't mind getting things started. I have a few things in my pocket that I'd like to try and, rather than trying to fit them in somewhere, I can just make the other players work around them.

opentune

Platinum Member
I actually prefer starting, especially with strangers, jamming etc.. Reason is, I have some very fave and very comfortable grooves, and then its up to them to come along....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I want to say, I finally got to use my favorite Max Roach line at a 'jam' one night. We started playing, and when we got to solos that just weren't happening, I sped up. I kept doing this enough that everyone started to notice and when we stopped, and they told me about it, I got to say: "....well, if what you were playing was really good, I'd might want to slow down so I can enjoy it!"

End of my jamming with those people ;)

Obzen

Always love starting off a jam.... as long as I'm inspired and full of energy (which usually lasts for about 30-40mins of a jam)...
In my band it's either me or the lead guitarist laying it down first, whoever gets in with an catchy idea first... race to the groove ;)

And once the jam has 'matured' a bit we tend to start a 'segment/song' off with a really minimalistic approach, a single bell and a chord... hold for a few seconds, repeat... repeat.... then let the groove slowly build itself from there, each adding a little flourish here and there until it (hopefully) organically morphs into it's own groove.

If you hadn't guessed already we play prog metal/rock ;)

SticksEasy

I hate it when I'm with a new bunch, but if I know the guys well, I know what they like and how to keep the ball in my court so everyone stays happy. A jam session can be healthy if it's done right, but in the wrong light it can be a disaster and a waste of time.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I love having the power to set the tempo and feel of the song. Not only can you start where you're comfortable but you can force other musicians to play different feels that they otherwise wouldn't take the initiative to explore. Us drummers really are the boss provided we don't let some homo guitarist walk all over us :p.

The thing that disappoints me (as a drummer and a fan of innovative and progressive music) is the average guitarists unwillingness to educate themselves in different rhythms and time signatures. There's melody and then there's rhythm and you're supposed to develop both of them.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
We spread it around, but when I do start a jam, it's usually a funk beat with a lot of ghost notes. If they're gonna aske me to start it's going to be a fun beat to play, that's for sure. Last time we jammed we tried something new (to our arrangement). The guitarist asked me to name a chord, so I said F. Then I said Eb, then C and G. Not too random because I knew these chords go well together. I just wanted to see what he'd come up with. It was actually pretty good. The chords came from the song After Midnight, although what we played was nothing close to that song.

Last edited:

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Agree with Pocket - I love jamming and I don't care who starts. The only thing I hate is thoughts that won't go away when I want to be Zen with the music.

Nice bit of subversion, Duncan :)
I'm quite serious. Put enough parameters into a computer and you can have a much more fun and unpredictable time with computers than you can with other people!