What hi-hat did Nigel Olsson use on Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding?

Strangelove

Gold Member
I'm going to guess they were Avedis Zildjian 14"s. I know Paiste sponsors him now, but don't think he has always played Paistes. If he did, then those are either Giant Beats, or 602s. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road came out before 2002s were readily available, I think.

tryggdahl

Cool, thanks for the help! I love Nigel's sound on this album, esp the crisp hi-hat work in the middle of Funeral. Wish I could play a hi-hat like that. Pretty badass snare sound too...he was using Slingerlands back then, right?

Strangelove

Gold Member
Cool, thanks for the help! I love Nigel's sound on this album, esp the crisp hi-hat work in the middle of Funeral. Wish I could play a hi-hat like that. Pretty badass snare sound too...he was using Slingerlands back then, right?
Yes, and here's proof of that:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/nigelfanclub/nigelpix1.html

Looks almost like the old Neal Peart 1970s setup. I am polling the guys over on cymbalholic.com about his hats. They seem to be leaning toward Paiste 602s. I'll wait until enough of them have looked at those pictures, though. There's enough 602 owners on that forum to properly identify them, I think.

I love these cymbal trivia mysteries!

Strangelove

Gold Member
Awesome pics! I can't tell if it's a 14" or 15". When were 602's discontinued?
Well, after much conjecture over at cymbalholics, my best guess is that he did indeed play Avedis Zildjians during that era. As for the size of his hats, he plays 14s now, so that may be the best guide. But I was like you - are those 14s or 15s?????