What got you started playing drums?

My cousin was 4 or 5 years older then me and he was a great drummer. All way's had big double bass kit's. This was the early 80's, he played a lot of Rush and Queen. I was fascinated he would have cowbells, chimes and would use them to play some of that intricate Rush stuff like The Tree's. I would consider him more of a percussionist then a drummer. So i made my first drum set out of Folgers coffee cans, tin pie pans for cymbals. Even made some octobans out of the long Pringle potato chip cans. I would cut the bottoms out so i could put heads (lids) on both sides. Then i got a 3 piece generic starter kit and was good to go.

I remember the Great Space Coaster! But all I remember is the opening song. And Gary Gnu.

the drummer had curly blonde hair and i wanted to look like him, despite having dark brown hair. But I did start the drumming. I find myself singing the song in my head way too often!

I startet in 1986 to play drums.

In 1990 I met the Dutch drummer Huub Janssen. He was my friend, teacher and mentor. 16 years I was able to learn from him. Unfortunately, he died in January 2008.

I filmed in the nineties a drum solo from Huub. This movie I have now revised. You can look this drumsolo in better sound and full hd now.

https://youtu.be/rCJCiy3Vl6Y

Have fun!

Hello everyone, I'm Charlie, from north central Indiana. I started playing the drums at age 12. I remember taking lessons at the little music store in my town when Zeppelin released their first album, I was forever hooked. Triplets, triplets, triplets, driving my family, friends and classmates crazy with constant foot stomping and open hand slaps on my knees creating the wonderful sound of triplets. Anyway, that was a long time ago and I still do it all the time still, just not to the point of being obnoxious, I think.

Music: Zeppelin
Drummer: Bonham
Person: My grandparents, who had a rinky-dink kit at their church
Style: Blues, rockabilly, funk, pop/rock
Inspirations: 11 years old - end of a school day - walked through my front door to see The Song Remains the Same playing on my TV. I was enthralled by it. I had never experienced anything so amazing musically. I was immediately hooked, even obsessed. I studied John Bonham nonstop. He was really my teacher.

I started out on guitar and after barely even knowing how to play scale I joined a band while I was in 8th grade. I didn't know what I was doing at all. The amp I had borrowed from my step dad at the time ended up dying during practice one day, so I was just stuck sitting. One thing lead to another and we realized that our drummer NEVER showed up (I was in the band for maybe a month and had never even met the guy) so my lead guitarist told me to take over drum duties. I didn't have an actual kit and would use our little button drums that we had on this boombox my guitarist used to record.

After a couple weeks of looking like a fool pushing buttons I got my first drum set, a Pacific kit with those SUPER CHEAP sheet metal cymbals. I had a blast. Never got lessons, didn't really actually learn any real beats for a while, but loved playing!

In 1990 I met the Dutch drummer Huub Janssen. He was my friend, teacher and mentor. 16 years I was able to learn from him. Unfortunately, he died in January 2008.

I filmed in the nineties a drum solo from Huub. This movie I have now revised. You can look this drumsolo in better sound and full hd now.

Have fun!

You are lucky. That man had incredible skill and showmanship. Maybe the best I've ever seen. Thx for the video and great story. Awesome video!

I was intrigued by drums since I was 5. Wanted a kit, but my parents kept telling me no, because I didn't play. I was a super shy kid, but somehow would always end up next to the drummer on stage anytime there was a live show. Surprised I never got removed, but so long as someone was playing drums, I didn't have a clue I was being watched or laughed at. Didn't care.

At 15 I played a kit at a friends church....I think it was called playing anyway and I was hooked. All I could think of was playing drums.

When I turned 16 and got my first job, my first three months of checks went toward buying an old Rogers 5 piece. And so began the process of annoying all those around me. :)

I've not posted this story here but I have in other places.

When I was in Jr. high school (yes I know, dinosaurs had just become extinct), My incoming band director, Mr. Wixom, wanted to start a stage band. I had never heard of a stage band. Our school didn't have a drum set so he decided to make one out of an old marching bass, a concert snare, an old field drum for a tom, a concert suspended cymbal for a ride and marching cymbals for crashes. He had a bass drum pedal and I can't remember if we had a hi hat or not. I had never played a drum set but I wanted to be in this group because his daughter, who played saxophone, would be in it and I wanted tko be closer to her. I really enjoyed playing the set such as it was. They moved the following year but by that time the bug had bitten. My mother bought me a set the following year and the next thing you know I was in my own rock band. The rest is history.

King Cobras.jpg

Mid 70's i used to beat on pan lids listening to beatles albums as a little kid... ended up playing guitar for 30 years and switched the drums recently and wish i had started that.. love it :) It was Gavin Harrison's performance on letterman that made me finally take the plunge..

I grew up tapping and thinking in rhythms like most of us here.

I was very fortunate to end up at a high school with a great music program. When I was in the junior band, the older kids in the Stage Band took first place in the Canadian Stage Band Festival. That was inspiring.

In college we entered the festival again and when the time came for the judge to evaluate the band he said "Where's the drummer? Stand up! I want your band members to give you a hand because your playing made all the difference in their performance." That was a huge encouragement! After a couple more years of drumming at Fanshawe College, life got in the way for 2-3 decades until now when I'm back on the throne.

I love doing it and feel like I've never lived up to my potential but still might....that's what excites me. Getting into the pocket with a baritone sax on my right and a trumpet section on my left is thrilling!

Have fun!
Shoot. Even I could do that. If I wore a bow tie. And played with my eyes closed. And could hold a drumstick in my mouth. And practiced for 8 hours a day. For 500 years. ;-)

You're very lucky, Fox. Thanks for sharing an awesome video.

Going deaf is what got me started on drums (rather recently).

The following mostly pointless blather explains: I studied (classical) music composition and theory when I was a teen and have piddled at amateur composition until a few years ago. I worked on the technical periphery of music much of my life. Designed and built some gear for the first academic installation of a Moog Modular back in the day. Worked as a sound tech for a film company etc. About 7 years ago I began to go deaf to the extent that it interfered with the pleasure of listening and my ability realize my compositions electronically. I stopped all engagement with music. Then late this summer just for a get-together I went to a sort of alt-music festival where my last two living friends were playing. There I caught a performance by FutureMan (Roy Wooten) where he played a Korg Wave Drum. The next morning I attended a little workshop he gave on polyrhythm. Some how this put a wild hair up my butt and I bought a Wave Drum when I got back home. I have recently reached the level of being able to play time-sig beats with some level of accent control (musicality). Which, for some one as uncoordinated as I, felt deeply satisfying with a timorous tinge of elation at the possibility of actually finding pleasure in music again. This morning I ordered a drum kit. So thank you Mr. Wooten.

My question to myself (for the public to know) is, Why didn't I take up drums in my younger years?

I first discovered the beauty of the beat when I heard "Rag Doll" by Aerosmith. It was 1988, the song was new.

Flash forward 8 years later. I became a certified aerobics instructor, which I was to do for 12 years. The most important thing was the downbeat.

After that season in my life ended, I found myself swinging my arm in time to downbeats of classic rock songs.

In early 2013, I bought a pair of drum sticks, not knowing what I was going to do with them. Around this time, I had gotten laid off from my job. I was also searching for something else to take up, writing my first two books (I have now published 3), and diagnosed with endometriosis.

Then, in 2014, I signed up for lessons at a local music store. Here it is, approaching 2017. I now work at that store...and I'm still taking drum lessons, hungry for more. Also, I no longer have endometriosis. Because of that, I can fully focus on drumming, as well as any other thing I pursue in life.

I am living, walking proof that it is never too late to start playing an instrument.

When I was 8 instead of having a normal assembly we had a guy (my drum teacher now) play drums in front of us all, I went home and asked my mum if I could lessons and I have kept it up since! :)

When I was 11, my parents gave me and my brother a Nintendo Wii for Christmas, and two years later, I received Guitar Hero: World Tour for my birthday. When my family and I played it together, I normally played lead guitar, as I was taking guitar lessons at the time, and my mother played the drums. My mom would sometimes "fail out" of the songs, so I tried my luck on the drums one time, and I realized I had a knack for it. When I was 14, my instructor moved his job to the local Sam Ash, and I had my parents drop me off a half hour early so I could fool around in the drum department before my lessons each week. The following year, I accidentally cut the tip of my left index finger with my then-new Winchester clip-folding knife. My finger otherwise healed fine, but the scar was right on the place where I would press down on the guitar strings, so I had to quit taking guitar lessons. I then played even more drums in Guitar Hero, and as I became more of a confident player, I began to play harder, and I eventually broke the drum controller. My parents said that it was probably about time to get me a real set, and that Christmas, I received a 14x6 Pearl Steel Shell snare, and after playing rudiments on it for a few hours, I said "I really like this snare, but where's the rest of the set?" A month later, we bought a (heavily) used Tama Stagestar set from a church friend, and three months later, I was in a band playing "Dammit" by Blink-182 for the high school talent show in May 2011. We also played in the 2012 and 2013 talent shows, the last one being days before my high school graduation. I used the Tama set faithfully until I scored an 8-piece PDP Double Drive kit plus hardware on September 27, 2015 for $650.

Surrounded by music. Started band in middle school. Joined high school band while in my last year of middle. Did HS marching band for 5 years working up to drumline/section leader. Played an Export at home and jammed with friends without ever creating a band. My father and brother were in bands in their youth. My uncle drummed for my dad's band.

Back