What gives? (Weaker limb stronger at new technique)

Cymbalise

I've dabbled with heel/toe on and off for ages now and the motion never seemed to come naturally so I traditionally returned to heel up after a few hours.

The other day I gave it another go and something just clicked - there it was. Incredibly rough and ready perhaps, but it's now something I can really work on so I'm very happy indeed.

The weird thing is, however, and herein lies the reason for the thread title: I play with a double pedal, and it's my much weaker and less coordinated *left* foot where heel/toe is really taking off and finally getting somewhere. This is bizarre to me as being right handed and right footed I can't quite fathom why my stronger and much more coordinated limb just isn't getting it to the same degree. Nowhere near, in fact: my left foot is clearly miles ahead of my right on this matter.

What gives? Any ideas?

Or should I stop trying to overthink it and just go with it?!

If you play heel down on your hi hat it could be because of the rocking motion involved, which is maybe quite similar to the heel toe thingmy.

I know I can't keep time with the heel of my right foot but have no problem with the left.

If you play heel down on your hi hat it could be because of the rocking motion involved, which is maybe quite similar to the heel toe thingmy.

I know I can't keep time with the heel of my right foot but have no problem with the left.

Yep this. I bet if you video'ed your feet playing a normal groove with your left foot on the hi-hat pedal you would find it bouncing all over the place keeping time!

Back