What First Inspired You

con struct

Platinum Member
It was the records my Mom played when I was a kid, the Beatles, the Mamas and Papas, the Beach Boys. She took me to a Beach Boys concert and I saw Dennis Wilson playing the drums. I'd never actually seen a rock drummer before. That did it! I can still picture it in my mind. Then for my 12th birthday she gave me a snare drum and I've been a drummer ever since.

TomRichwood

My old man used to drum in a folk band which inspired me to take up drums, that and seeing pearl jam's live shows... insane

DrummerForJah

Jah-Jah inspired me of course! The Most High led me into a place where I laid my eyes on the most beautiful arcade game I had ever seen.. Percussion Freaks 9th mix. It took about a month to convince my parents to buy me a kit after that...

Derek

Silver Member
My dad always loved jazz. When I was a little boy I didn't even know exactly who or what I was listening to, only that I was fascinated by the drums, whether it was jazz, rock & roll or even marching bands.

The earliest inspiration that really pushed me over though, is a testimony to how small a world this really is. It was nearly 40 years ago at a small New Years Eve house party at the home of some friends at our families church.

I was around 9 years old and some of the high school kids had a band. The then brought a friend of theirs to sit in on the drums. The guy was a young phenom who was light years ahead of his peers.

Turns out to be a fellow member of this forum. His name is Dave Crigger (no way he even knows who I am) .When he did his drum solo, I was blown away. I told my parents "I want to learn how to do that".

Again, what a small world.

gr33nsl33v3s

I started late (Age 21, now 53), but always loved the drums most and always paid attention to the drummer cuz I always felt he was the "cool" one.

In the bands I grew up liking: (Zep, Deep Purple, Cream, Sabbath, Dead, Blue Oyster Cult, etc.)

The singer was the tempermental, ego-centric, glammed-up one.
The guitarist was the "all-eyes on me, I'm the one everyone's here to see" guy.
The bassist was the funky, laid back "I know I'm cooler than all of you, but I don't need to show off" dude.
The keyboardist was usually a nerd. Sorry, key-boys.
And the drummer was this wrecking ball tour-de-force, animal.

And I dug that. Funny thing is, it wasn't until I saw Corky Laing, Leslie West and Felix Papalliardi (Mountain) play a Nantucket Sleighride jamout for maybe what might have been 45 minutes that I really said to myself: "Man, Corky is the man, I wanna be a drummer."

Kenny Allyn

I am primarily a bass player ... as such over the years working with some great drummers.

Being a Memphis native, about anything recorded on the STAX label
Doug Clifford of CCR was an influence, as was The Stones Charlie Watts
Dating a pro bellydancer for two years and listening to the doumbek drummers (amazing) and last but not least my bands amazing drummer WC Garrison!

So at age 55 (try before you die) I'm taking up drums!

Fiery

Silver Member
A guy at a summer comic-drawing camp had a pair of sticks with him and air drummed a lot to songs on the radio and such. That's the first time I saw how drumming is actually performed - how movements make the beat. That's also the time I started getting interested in music beside what's heard on the radio, TV or at parties. And, some time later I found a drum stick on the pavement and I spent a few weeks air drumming to music and hitting pillows and stuff before losing it again. I was 13, turning 14 at the time.

Over the next few years, the metal and hardcore music I was listening to led to a fascination with the speed and stamina of all the double kick monsters. In general the drums were the instrument that I could most relate to in the music, the only instrument I could at least somewhat follow, understand what's happening and understand what's making it happen. Then, toward the end of high school, a couple of my friends started playing guitars, one of them then switched to bass, another one started writing lyrics and trying to sing... The idea of a band was hanging in the air, all they needed was a drummer.

The choice was obvious. I went to a music shop, bought a pair of L.A. Special 5AN sticks, "...and the rest is history."

MaT

Phill Collins, I watched over and over a concert when I was like 6 years old and it was what really got me into hitting everything on my way!

Then after years Mike Portnoy made me push my limits, you know, practice with discipline to have a more accurate technique.

daustin627

Here's a funny one. Sesame street. Ernie got a drum set and kept doing rim shots, and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. That and this plastic toy drum that I loved to smack since I can remember. I actually remember feeling the rebound and how nice the bounce off of it felt. I got a toy drum kit for christmas at 5 (in response to the sesame street episode) with paper heads (somehow I didn't break them...). I tried the violin in 4th grade before switching to the snare drum in 5th. Then, when I got into 7th grade, the school band director wanted to start a jazz band, and I told him that I knew how to play the drum kit, then actually had to scramble to learn how to play. I had to find a song that would help me really quickly learn, and found (more laughter coming) Wild Thing, by Ton Loc. I loved that little 808ish tom fill, and basically played that over and over till I got my co-ordination down. Just in time for my teacher to hand me the sheet music to "Spinning Wheel" by blood sweat and tears. We played it for the 7th grade pops concert and my dad was completely freaked out by the fact that I was actually somewhat good at this, so he bought me a drum kit for my birthday, a little Pearl Export, just like the one at my school. Through 12 years of abuse, and then finally learning how to care for them, I've finally got the sound out of them that I love, and I'm now inspired by all sorts of music and musicians, not just drummers. Drums and music in general have become very organic for me, I almost feel more comfortable speaking the language of music than I do speaking the language of english.

Sorry for the novel guys, once it starts flowing, it starts flowing. Thanks Ernie!!!!