What famous drum or drum set would you like to play in person?

flamateurhour

Though not a drum, per se...
I'd love to play Joe Morello's famous "Take 5" Zildjian ride:

Did you see that Zildjian is doing a reissue "Take 5" ride?

--

I'd love to play:

Max Roach's Saxaphone Colossus drums
Bonham's Green Sparkle, especially to hear how they sounded in the throne vs. through blended studio mics
Chris Daddy Dave's D'Angelo Tour setup (or any of his setups tbh)
Levon Helm's Last Waltz kid (the one from the Sound Stage, not the main live set)
Chick Webb's Savoy kit

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
That is awesome.curios on the cost of something like that?
“...Fun Fact: Carey's "Drumtree" kit, cost about $70,000 to make and the cast bronze bass drum weighted close to 700 pounds after pulling it out of the mold, and after lathing it was lowered to about 100 pounds. “

I would have guessed $20K. But I would have guessed 100 pounds on the bass drum weight, so I’m slightly redeemed. LOL

Skyking

I'd love to play Ringo's early Beatles kit, especially the sloshy high hats. And here's another oldy. Dave Clark's (DC5) red sparkling set of Rodger's drums. BUT alas, I am not worthy.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I had always wanted to play/own a Tama Bell Brass Snare. Like the ones that were uses on so many iconic records. Nirvana, Metallica, just to name a couple. They all were rented from Drum Doctor's in Glendale, CA at the time. About 11 years ago I was flying into LA for a gig and we needed to rent a Snare. Guess what? I went to Drum Doc's and got me a Bell Brass. It's unclear if the one I rented was the same form these recording as they had three of them. But just having the chance that the one I took to the gig might have been played on any of those 90's records was enough for me.
Someday I will own one of my own, someday...

DrummerJustLikeDad

I would love to get lost in the middle of Phil Collins’s kit for the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour.

I love that, when he wanted to expand his array of sounds, he didn’t simply add “same tom, different note.”

This was a true trap kit with xylophone, cow bells, tubular bells, bell tree, triangles, timbales, monkey skulls, finger cymbals, ratchet & gym teacher’s whistle - the prog rock version of drumming for the pit orchestra.

It sounds glorious from the audience on the Genesis Archive box set. That would be a blast to (try to) play.

B1EAFCF4-C1B5-4B77-96FB-956582050E41.jpeg57FA4CC5-94F8-4397-9737-EC9D722FF4E7.jpeg

MntnMan62

I'd like to try sitting behind Colaiuta's kit he was playing when he first joined Zappa for no other reason than to see what it's like to sit that low.

image.png

I'd also love to play Bruford's roto tom kit. It's just so........different.

image.png

And lastly, I'd love to sit behind Kenwood's set from his early days when he was playing a monster kit and making some monster music with his band Highlife.

image.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ffDLdtaoJQ&psig=AOvVaw3i4NN-GyhW54KjYd11kAnX&ust=1585522757087000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCICD1tuivugCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAY

Bozzio is one of my favorite drummers but his monster kits hold very little interest for me since I can barely play one drum, let alone the insanity he calls a kit these days.

drumnut87

I would love to get lost in the middle of Phil Collins’s kit for the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour.

I love that, when he wanted to expand his array of sounds, he didn’t simply add “same tom, different note.”

This was a true trap kit with xylophone, cow bells, tubular bells, bell tree, triangles, timbales, monkey skulls, finger cymbals, ratchet & gym teacher’s whistle - the prog rock version of drumming for the pit orchestra.

It sounds glorious from the audience on the Genesis Archive box set. That would be a blast to (try to) play.

View attachment 91137View attachment 91140

i know where that exact kit is(minus the xylophone and the extra stuff). genesis/phils collins/brand X's old drum tech-come-head tech lives in my hometown, im good friends with him, he got given this kit from phil,which he then sold/passed onto another drummer in my hometown, who still owns it :) he got a lot of stuff from phil including snares, full kits, cymbals, etc :)

rebonn

This was it for me at the time. I actually had a similar kit and played a lot of Rush. Still have all the bells and whistles but haven't played them since the 80s early 90s.

Neil-Peart.jpg

BruceW

Ringo's Ed Sullivan kit

Pearts kit used at the end. I don't know if I'd really want to play it, but to sit behind it and imagine

Bozzio's kit, same as the Peart kit.

Honestly, I don't know what the heck I'd do on either of those kits, probably just play the money beat with a stupid grin on my face