What Exotic Veneer to use?

Galadrm

I am building a snare from pre made keller 10ply maple shell, 14x6.5 dimensions. I guess not really making but assembling, so to speak.
Anyway, I love exotic woods and timber finishes and wondering what people could recommend as a cool exotic veneer. Personally I like the pattern of zebrawood and quilted bubinga, both quite different, but very nice. I am obviously looking for a flexible veneer to wrap around the drum. Any ideas as to which exotic woods you guys think are cool and amazing to look at? I do not know much about timbers other than my few years of design and tech at high school. Any recommendations/tips for veneer choice/application are appreciated.
Thanks

Galadrm

Birdseye Maple?

Nice pattern, but personally i dont like this gold colour it has. Thankyou for your consideration.

Carpathian Elm Burl.​
Elms produce very nice woods, don't they? That is a lovely example of an great elm pattern. I like the darker colour too. I guess you could always stain the maple though to achieve a darker colour. Thanks for your suggestions so far!

Galadrm

Snakewood is my absolute favourite of all nature's wood creations, at least, to the eye. Hugely expensive, but oh so gorgeous :)
Wow, that is some incredible wood. I have read that it comes from the heart of a tree so it is only possibly to render a small amount from each tree. No wonder it is so expensive. I wonder if anyone has ever finished a drum with it before?

I've always loved Ziricote.
Something really attracts me to this wood. If I can manage to get my hands on some flexible veneer, I would definitely consider this an option, it is very beautiful.

Thanks once again!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I've always loved Ziricote.
Reminds me of the storms on Saturn (the planet, not discussions here on Mapex, lol)

Wow, that is some incredible wood. I have read that it comes from the heart of a tree so it is only possibly to render a small amount from each tree. No wonder it is so expensive. I wonder if anyone has ever finished a drum with it before?
our supplier offered us some 7" logs recently. Only requires the removal of a thin sap layer & bark to get to the good stuff. We wanted to build some stave and segmented snares from it, but couldn't afford it. Maybe someday :(

Galadrm

our supplier offered us some 7" logs recently. Only requires the removal of a thin sap layer & bark to get to the good stuff. We wanted to build some stave and segmented snares from it, but couldn't afford it. Maybe someday :(
That would have turned out really cool. Unfortunate, maybe someday though!

I have found a really cool website that produces many veneers and many thin ones that would be suitable for wrapping drums. Anyone have any opinions on paper backed vs raw wood veneers for drums?

Galadrm

Ive never thought of using leather to finish a modern drum. Would look pretty cool though, and it would have a nice feel. I wonder how it would affect the sound?

I may have to end up making a few snares with all these suggestions, and some very nice veneers. I think zebra wood will make a good exotic wood finish, as it will be more forgiving with the seams, due to its stripy nature. I am planning to do a 45 degree angle so the stripes run diagonally across the drum. I will use between 6 and 9 inch wide veneer and run about 4 different lengths to create four seems. Hopefully the stripes cover the seems well, and I have seen this done before, so hopefully I can accomplish it.

I will definitely be posting some pics in about 1.5 months hopefully the project will be finished by then. I also hope to make a video that I will post on youtube about the process of building the drum. Looking forward to it!

Galadrm

Koa is such a beautiful wood, this would look fantastic on a drum.
Yeah the Koa does have a lovely quilting/curly look to it. But it does not seem to have much grain. I was watching a john good's exotic woods video the other day. He had one wood where the quilting was to such an extent that the wood looked 3D. It was simply incredible. Amazing what nature can produce.
It reminds me that he also had an ebony/ivory wood or some albino ivory from Asian that looked pretty amazing. Also the DW Rainbow wood as it is called. I had searched what rainbow wood is before with no luck. For anyone who is interested, the tree absorbs different minerals from the ground which influences the trees grain colour, and it can create reds, golds, greens, browns. It is another simply stunning wood.

RickP

Gold Member
I recall Ludwig having some beautiful satinwood snares that had superb grain figuring and they were such a nice amber color.