What else to play? Advice please.

J4X

Hello,
Im nearly 17years old and i was wondering now that ive been playing the drums for 6 years, if i should maybe start properly learning another instrument.

After leaving school and going to college i have alot of free time.
I did GCSE Music at school, got an A*.

The only other things on other instruments i know are the basics on keyboard and bass guitar.

I own a keyboard, bass guitar and unstrung acoustic guitar (and drums obviously).

Should I learn another instrument other than drums, or just focus on drumming?

Have you learnt any instrument other than drums in your life?

Advice/experience please.

Thanks. :)

Bonz0

I play several other instruments besides drums and sometimes when i play drums i get some sort of creative blocking and i find that playing bass or piano i get inspired for drumming (and viceversa). You can say that playing other instruments enhance your playing in each one of them cause you get a different perspective. I highly recommend playing some other instrument besides ur main one! and dont be afraid with the feeling that u wont grow as a drummer while wasting time playing another instrument cause not only u do grow as a drummer but more important u grow as a musician.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Amazing how most drummers who learn other instruments always tend to go to piano and bass!!!

Well, it's understandable of course. Piano is a percussion instrument and drums and bass go together like bread and butter, we are the rhythm section.

I started learning bass some months ago and I like it. I'd love to play the piano too, but I don't have the time nor the talent to learn it.

Tough question to answer man, learn whatever instrument you like most, and learn it properly, learn music theory and reading!!

Cheers!

A

audiotech

I started to take trumpet lessons off my grandfather when I was about 11 or 12 years old. He had several small to big bands in the thirties, forties and fifties that my dad played drums in. I believe taking trumpet lessons helped me tremendously, especially as far as reading is concerned. I never played drums in the marching band, but played the trumpet instead. Fond memories of gusts of wind blowing the music all over the field, lol. I would have liked to pick-up keyboards years ago, but I never had the chance.

Dennis

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I used to have a sequencer and I played childishly simplistic keys in a garage-y band a few years ago.

Playing other instruments are helpful in a few ways. Drumming mostly run along the stave and other instruments are good for getting you thinking up and down the stave. More about music than just beats.

It opens up the possibility of writing songs.

The different physical moves help to round out your general coordination a little.

It's nice to better understand what your band mates are doing too.

... not to mention having more musical cred with the pluckers, tinklers and blowers :)

paul_c

If you already own a keyboard and bass guitar, it makes sense to learn how to play them.

My first instrument was piano but TBH I never really enjoyed playing it. The thing is, there's only one thing you can do with the key of a piano, and that's play it, yes you can hit it soft or hard but that's about it. I later moved onto electric guitar (briefly), bass guitar (for ever), saxophone, a bit of clarinet, a few brass instruments and in the past month, drums. I much preferred the instruments like bass and saxophone where you can express different tones etc quite easily (once you've learnt the initial technique). And of course this is also true on the (acoustic) drum kit. So you might prefer this to the piano. But, piano (keyboard) is probably the most useful and versatile instrument to learn.

paistemage

Hello,
Im nearly 17years old and i was wondering now that ive been playing the drums for 6 years, if i should maybe start properly learning another instrument.

After leaving school and going to college i have alot of free time.
I did GCSE Music at school, got an A*.

The only other things on other instruments i know are the basics on keyboard and bass guitar.

I own a keyboard, bass guitar and unstrung acoustic guitar (and drums obviously).

Should I learn another instrument other than drums, or just focus on drumming?

Have you learnt any instrument other than drums in your life?

Advice/experience please.

Thanks. :)

I play alto and tenor saxophone. I also program machines and write compositions.
In a moment of fanaticism I am going to buy analog synth. Build build build.

I feel it definately helps perspective