What earplugs do you use?

AKali19

Well, I think I have a mild case of tinnitus. Been using generic foam earplugs the last couple of weeks but they make my ears hurt. Do you guys think I should spend some money on custom molded earplugs? Do you recommend anything?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't use modled, but I'd definitely investe a few bucks more and upgrade from foam plugs. The foam plugs muffle all the high end completely and don't make for pleasant listening.

Get some silicone ones of this type. Not expensive, and will be a bit more even in how they reduce volume. They'll also last you a lot longer than foam plugs.

I think I've tried these before. Are these the Etymotic something earplugs? LOL! They don't fit my ears that well because of my weird angled ear canals. Thanks for responding!

I think I've tried these before. Are these the Etymotic something earplugs? LOL! They don't fit my ears that well because of my weird angled ear canals. Thanks for responding!

Not heard of Etymotic, but there's literally hundreds of brands that make similar plugs.

If you've got weird ear canals, I guess molded might be your best option.

I tried the Etymotic and they are a bit small for my ears also.
Now I use 'Alpine MusicSafe Pro'. The design is similar (and also not very expensive) but the soft ribbed part that forms the seal is a bit bigger so it's a more forgiving fit.

I’ve settled on Earasers - they are curved to fit your ear (different L and R models) and the freq response allows more bass and high treble through, but heavily cuts the midrange sounds. As a result, I can hear my hihat and ride clearly, whilst reducing snare, electric guitars and overall stage noise.

The only fault I’ve had is that the inserts came loose after a year, so I glued them back in place.

I've used the Alpine ones, bit small for me but still stops the damaging frequencies. The Vic Firth ones are good, they are the same as a lot of other musician earplugs.

I swear there's one factory that makes em all and they just but different ink on the case.

The foam ear plugs, although uncomfortable will save your hearing. If you have mild tinnitus already don't make it worse than it needs to be so wear earplugs in any noisy situation. I had hearing problems as a kid that nearly ended up with an operation to cure (not noise related) so don't wanna suffer anything similar again. I have selective hearing around the wife but that's something completely normal :)

I paid out for custom moulds( UE4's) and I can honestly say it's the best money I've ever spent on ANYTHING to do with my drumming!

I don't use modled, but I'd definitely investe a few bucks more and upgrade from foam plugs. The foam plugs muffle all the high end completely and don't make for pleasant listening.

Get some silicone ones of this type. Not expensive, and will be a bit more even in how they reduce volume. They'll also last you a lot longer than foam plugs.
View attachment 86467
I use these type of earplugs, the brand I get in the UK are ACS ER20s. I buy the model they make for smaller ear canals, they used to be called Baby Blues but looking on eBay or Amazon and using appropriate search words should work.
Edit, a quick search has shown hardly any for sale so I don’t know what’s going on there, but there’s lots of similiar items out there and you can get sorted for under £15.

I paid out for custom moulds( UE4's) and I can honestly say it's the best money I've ever spent on ANYTHING to do with my drumming!

Second this. I suffered enough tinnitus and don't need to add to it. I wear mine ear plugs for everything, concerts, practice, gigs, all the time, even low volume gigs/practice. I find that when I wear them all the time, I get used to the right volume and can hear and play well. In-out, in-out in varying situations frustrated me and wasn't consistent.

Not heard of Etymotic, but there's literally hundreds of brands that make similar plugs.

If you've got weird ear canals, I guess molded might be your best option.
Tried Eargasms too. My ear canals seems to be too narrow for them that's why wearing them generic plugs hurt.

I tried the Etymotic and they are a bit small for my ears also.
Now I use 'Alpine MusicSafe Pro'. The design is similar (and also not very expensive) but the soft ribbed part that forms the seal is a bit bigger so it's a more forgiving fit.
I can spend around $200 max. I'll be using them for practice and small gigs. Might as well use them for when I go to events and concerts for my photography gigs. I just can't afford what the audiologist from last month was selling. They cost around $400 - $500.

I've used the Alpine ones, bit small for me but still stops the damaging frequencies. The Vic Firth ones are good, they are the same as a lot of other musician earplugs.

I swear there's one factory that makes em all and they just but different ink on the case.

The foam ear plugs, although uncomfortable will save your hearing. If you have mild tinnitus already don't make it worse than it needs to be so wear earplugs in any noisy situation. I had hearing problems as a kid that nearly ended up with an operation to cure (not noise related) so don't wanna suffer anything similar again. I have selective hearing around the wife but that's something completely normal :)
Will keep this brand in mind too if ever I don't find what I need within the week. Selective hearing around the wife is funny though.:ROFLMAO:

Second this. I suffered enough tinnitus and don't need to add to it. I wear mine ear plugs for everything, concerts, practice, gigs, all the time, even low volume gigs/practice. I find that when I wear them all the time, I get used to the right volume and can hear and play well. In-out, in-out in varying situations frustrated me and wasn't consistent.
They are too expensive for me. The basic custom ones might be just what I need. Thanks tho

I have custom plugs and custom IEM's. The custom plugs were AMAZING. Yes, you need to go get your ears fitted and they cost a bit more, but you can get filters with different db killers. I opted for the most isolating ones as my band is very loud. The best part of this is that they bring the sound down evenly. using regular construction plugs, or the cans over your ears cut out a ton of highs and alter the sound. With the customs the sound is exactly the same, just quieter. Plus they can stay in for hours. I can only wear the cans or non custom plugs for so long before it's uncomfortable.

The custom IEM's double up as really good isolation too. I just put my UE5's in and leave em unplugged. I can wear them for hours as well. The only difference is that they don't have the filters.

Custom fitted is where it's at, if you can afford them. Just decide if you want hearing protection or IEMS. the nice thing about the custom IEM's is that you can mic up your kit, turn the volume to a very low level and still hear everything perfectly.

Back