What drum set is this?

Fritz Stäkes

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know what drumset this is, or when it probably was made.
It's said to me that it's a pearl, but there are no badges on it. anyone who can help?
Thanks.

13" tom
16" floor
20" kick
Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 12.54.18 - Edited.pngScreenshot 2020-02-10 at 12.54.24 - Edited.png

Last edited:
Definitely not a Pearl. Lugs are wrong, bass drum spurs are wrong, only 6 lugs on a 20" kick. I have no idea what it is, but I sure know what it isn't.

Someone will chime in that recognizes the lugs. Lugs are like fingerprints, they are pretty much unique to manufacturers.

Those definitely look like Gretsch lugs and the older style floor tom leg brackets. Though nothing else makes me think of Gretsch (i.e. reinforcement rings, no silver sealer, triple flange hoops, 6 lugs per side on the bass drum, etc.).

The t rods on the bass drum look like Trixon, but not much else. I'm guessing Gracy or Clear Sound mij stencil kit iirc. They were probably made by Pearl or Star (Tama).

Last edited:
Looks like a Braxton Qualitone set to me. Probably made around 1967 in of all places Ireland. Reginald Braxton was a carpenter by trade but was completely mad about drums. That passion was the result of his father's playing in a fife and drum unit during the Hitchcock era 2 decades prior to World War 2. Even after the war Reginald's father would bring out his "marcher" and rat-a-tat for hours while Reginald drooled creamed spinach his Mother made from scratch. To make a long story short, Reggie as his fellows called him, took up the trade of carpentry and began experimenting with the manufacturing of plywood barrels that he hoped to sell to the pickling trade. When that failed he remembered his father's flourishes on that old rope strung marcher and decided to turn the unused plywood pickle barrels into drums. Turns out no one understood the sizes. A 13" tom, 16" floor and 20" bass. 14 kits were made in all before he could badge them so he left them bare. If yours is a Braxton, then you are holding a very rare kit indeed. Not saying it's any good. Just exceedingly rare.
You're welcome.

Looks like a Braxton Qualitone set to me. Probably made around 1967 in of all places Ireland. Reginald Braxton was a carpenter by trade but was completely mad about drums. That passion was the result of his father's playing in a fife and drum unit during the Hitchcock era 2 decades prior to World War 2. Even after the war Reginald's father would bring out his "marcher" and rat-a-tat for hours while Reginald drooled creamed spinach his Mother made from scratch. To make a long story short, Reggie as his fellows called him, took up the trade of carpentry and began experimenting with the manufacturing of plywood barrels that he hoped to sell to the pickling trade. When that failed he remembered his father's flourishes on that old rope strung marcher and decided to turn the unused plywood pickle barrels into drums. Turns out no one understood the sizes. A 13" tom, 16" floor and 20" bass. 14 kits were made in all before he could badge them so he left them bare. If yours is a Braxton, then you are holding a very rare kit indeed. Not saying it's any good. Just exceedingly rare.
You're welcome.
Thanks for this information,
I looked 'Brixton drums' up, but didn't find anything about it.
Do you have a site or something?

Those definitely look like Gretsch lugs and the older style floor tom leg brackets. Though nothing else makes me think of Gretsch (i.e. reinforcement rings, no silver sealer, triple flange hoops, 6 lugs per side on the bass drum, etc.).
I'm kinda surprised that not one person commented on the fact that these lugs are (or at least look a helluva lot like) Gretsch lugs. Which I pointed out 4 days ago.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 2.47.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-13 at 5.21.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Definitely a refurbished MIJ - 'made in japan' stencil kit.
3ply drums with re-rings. Hard to tell from pics but looks like vertical grain luan inside the toms. The real giveaway is the 6 lug bass drum.
13-16-20 is also a common MIJ drum size for a 4 piece.
And I agree, duly noted its been re-done with Gretsch lugs. I think the outer grain may be a wrap?

If they are in your possession (if not, see if you can ask the seller to), take off one of the heads and see if there is any kind of marking or stamp on the inside. If you don't see one immediately, it may be worth shining a flashlight around in there to make sure a stamp or mark hasn't faded. If not, at least try to take a pic of the wood grain from the inside of the shell in decent light. I know that there are no guarantees, but see if the reso heads on the toms have the same brand name. I know changing out those heads happens all the time, but there are those of us who don't change out reso heads alot, and sometimes the factory heads can still be present and will have the name of whatever company made them.

Back