What drumming advice would you give to a younger you?

cdrums21

Gold Member
I have been playing drums for going on 46 years now. I have had a fruitful drumming career, both live and recording, and have many awesome memories and experiences over that time period. Having been less involved in playing drums over the past year or so, I've had some time to ponder what, if anything, I would have done differently when I was just starting out and beginning to get gigs. There are a few things that come to mind......Iooking back, I wish I had more of a rudimental foundation. Those abilities would have come in handy for some things. I would also tell my younger self to not be afraid to relocate. For a long time, I was a "big fish in a little sea" and I often wonder how successful I'd have been if I relocated to a larger area. There are some other things I'd tell my younger self as well, but for now, I'd be curious to see what you all come up with. Any nuggets of wisdom you care to share?

I would have focused less on technique and practiced more holistically. At the same time I had no real choice there because of NAS and I do something I consider a more balanced approach with my students.

"Hindsight is always 20/20" - Megadeth - Sweating Bullets :)

It would have been acquire taste and feel sooner than I did, but how does one learn the error of ones ways without making errors?

Ooh good thread idea! Gosh, where to begin? Keep at it, pursue the next playing situation, don't just wait for it to come to you!

Something that feeds my soul, provides so much joy, and makes me feel like I found my place in the universe should not be taken as lightly as I did for years.

Also, join Drummerworld earlier, dont spend ten years plus lurking...

I'd say "when you get older don't spend time thinking about what you could have/should have done when you were younger."
You can never start over, but you can always start today.

In case any youngsters are reading the thread, I'd say:

Get a teacher. Learn songs. Play with as many different people as possible.

Cool thread idea.

The advice I would give to my younger self, learn and study time NOW. And drink more water.

I don't know that my younger self would have been mentally equipped to carry out any advice I would dispense. Not to mention the trauma I would endure seeing an older version of myself lol.

It takes time to mold the brain into a way that is not detrimental to ourselves and useful to others. I can't hurry progress, it happens at it's own rate. Plus I have to learn things for myself by consequence, as does everybody.

Mom: "Johnny, don't touch the stove, it's really hot and you will burn yourself."

Johnny touching stove: "Ouch that's hot!"

Mom: "I just told you that!"

Johnny: "Yea, but I didn't know!"

Mom: "But I just told you."

It's not Johnnys fault. People need to discover things on their own terms, and what they really mean, to be truly schooled..

Last edited:
I wish I would have started day one with a metronome, other than that I think my path was pretty decent. I had a lot of help from teachers, forums, and videos.

I guess I might also have seen a teacher earlier on too, but who knows, that might have been a detriment in some weird way too.

I would learn how to bounce those sticks off the drum head LOL. For some reason I thought that bouncing the drumsticks off the head for multiple Strokes was not really playing LOL I always bashed it out. I've been playing for over 50 years now and it's only within the last 10 years or so that I started embracing double and triple strokes, Push Pull, Moeller , free stroke and those kinds of things. And I would not start a family at 17 years old LOL after that happened I had to keep a steady job with insurance. I'm within a few years of retirement now

1. Practice rudiments until you can apply them effortlessly, deliberately and musically. Don't spend the next 20 years wingin' it like I did.
2. Enough with the covers. Play with others and create your own music.

Thank the caretaker who lets you practice every weekend for 3yrs straight.

Don’t get into a dalliance with the beautiful keyboard player, its going to end badly.

Stop being so zealous about the band, if a member wants a side project let it go, members can leave and come back.

A four or five piece kit with a 20 or 22 kick and 6.5 snare is all you need for 95 % gigs you don’t need extra toms, percussion.

Get cases or accept your gear will be destroyed (by others wanting to help

As a youngster I was very focused on technique, reading and coordination. I don’t regret developing those areas but “it don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing”

After my experiences over the past year, I'd say this.

1. If you REALLY want to be viable and play music around here, learn to play bass, learn a variety of music on the bass, play for the song (don't overplay), learn to read bass charts, and don't be a moron. If you do these things, you'll have all the work you could ever want in this town.

If you stick with drums, here you go:

2. Don't do it. See #1.

Back