WHAT DRUMMERS DO YOU HEAR IN YOUR PLAYING?

Did you watch the Beware Of Mr. Baker film / documentary? I recall there’s a lot of his background both, personal and musical, explained there. If you haven’t, it’s a great watch and I’d very much recommend it.
Yes, right when it came out. I get that he is a terrific player; I just can't point a finger at why. And I will step out on the ignorance ledge--maybe off it--and say I don't get Elvin Jones elevation to God status either. Sure, he is also terrific like scores of other jazz drummers that almost never get named.

That sounds a whole lot more mean and disrespectful than I intended. The operative word is "ignorance." What Elvin is known for is rhythmically dense and intensively polyrhythmic playing that short circuits my brain. To coin a crappy analogy, he is rounding third heading for home, and I am still waiting at the bus stop for a ride to the ballpark.

Last edited:
When you use to eat..sleep..and breathe Bonham and Paice it gets obvious...sometimes WAY to obvious. I'm in a desperate search for ME.

A lifetime of drummers from 60s to present- more recent Carter Beaufort, Dennis Chambers, Nate Smith, Tony Williams, and Billy Ward come to mind.

Stan Lynch of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers fame. With a little Peter Criss mixed in.

Yes, right when it came out. I get that he is a terrific player; I just can't point a finger at why. And I will step out on the ignorance ledge--maybe off it--and say I don't get Elvin Jones elevation to God status either. Sure, he is also terrific like scores of other jazz drummers that almost never get named.

That sounds a whole lot more mean and disrespectful than I intended. The operative word is "ignorance." What Elvin is known for is rhythmically dense and intensively polyrhythmic playing that short circuits my brain. To coin a crappy analogy, he is rounding third heading for home, and I am still waiting at the bus stop for a ride to the ballpark.
It's not mean or disrespectful if you don't know. You're asking and that's half the battle.
I'm sure many on here could tell you much better than I can.

It's not mean or disrespectful if you don't know. You're asking and that's half the battle.
I'm sure many on here could tell you much better than I can.
Thanks. I appreciate that. I watched some videos on Elvin, and I am clearly not alone in being somewhat confounded. One clip he mentioned that there were people who wouldn't play with him because they just didn't get it. I added the postscript to make clear that this isn't an Emperor's Clothes thing as it is just not getting it.

I hear to these drummers:

John Bonham
Neil Peart
Keith Moon
Ginger Baker
Hal Blaine
Buddy Rich
Gene Krupa
Benny Benjamin
Mitch Mitchell
Stewart Copeland

Ringo