What DRUMMER has the most success / notability as the songwriter?

Out of Round

I think the short list would have to be the ones already mentioned. It would be hard to beat Queen, Eagles and Phil Collins for total sales and fame.

Last edited:

Out of Round

I don't know if he was the songwriter, but maybe Levon Helm for having a lasting influence on other artists? I dunno, just throwing names around...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Roger Taylor did a bit in Queen, Lars in Metallica, and Neil Peart wrote all the lyrics in Rush...does Dave Grohl count? :unsure: :D (y)
Does Neil count? He was the lyricist. Isn’t songwriting about writing the music? I mean I know Bernie Taupin wrote a lot of those lyrics with Elton John back in the day, but we wouldn’t have heard those lyrics if Elton didn’t write the music. Otherwise Bernie Taupin would be one of our greatest poets. And Elton continued to produce hit music long after he and Bernie split up.

SharkSandwich

But, does Lars belong at all? Did he actually write any songs? I'm not a fan, so I dunno.

Lars is very involved in Metallica's songwriting process.

Last edited:

Al Strange

Gold Member
Does Neil count? He was the lyricist. Isn’t songwriting about writing the music? I mean I know Bernie Taupin wrote a lot of those lyrics with Elton John back in the day, but we wouldn’t have heard those lyrics if Elton didn’t write the music. Otherwise Bernie Taupin would be one of our greatest poets. And Elton continued to produce hit music long after he and Bernie split up.
Yes, Neil counts IMO...I only asked if Dave Grohl counts because Taylor Hawkins is the full time drummer in Foo Fighters and Dave is predominantly singer/guitarist? :unsure:

Al Strange

Gold Member
I dunno. I’m on the fence about Neils’ inclusion because you can’t say he actually wrote any of the music. Maybe Alex and Geddy could elaborate?
Yeah, Taupin and John were inducted into the Song Writers Hall of Fame...shouldn’t have let Taupin in... the cheeky chancer! :unsure: ?

doggyd69b

Drum Expert
I'm not sure if Grohl counts anymore. But, does Lars belong at all? Did he actually write any songs? I'm not a fan, so I dunno.
Lars didn't write any songs, but he (corrected most of them) he basically would tell them what things to change and they did on Every single Metallica song (over 150 songs) so he didn't write any single song but has writing credits on all of them.

Armor of Light

Lars didn't write any songs, but he (corrected most of them) he basically would tell them what things to change and they did on Every single Metallica song (over 150 songs) so he didn't write any single song but has writing credits on all of them.
Cool. Good for him!

R.E.M. split all cowriting equally since—as students of rock and roll—they knew that songwriting credits were often a key contributor to band disharmony. But they were fairly open in interviews about who did what, and drummer Bill Berry wrote some of their best and most beautiful songs, such as "Perfect Circle,""Driver 8," "Cant Get There from Here," "Everybody Hurts"—on which he doesn't even appear—and "Man on the Moon." Just how important he was to the band was made crystal clear to fans by comparing the 10 albums they did with him and the 5 they did after he left.

toddmc

Gold Member
Don't forget, Lars "arranged" every single song (while all James did was write the riffs, lyrics and probably the beats as well) ?